“GREAT HOLIDAY”
Review of Hotel Hilltop

Hotel Hilltop
Ranked #26 of 58 Hotels in Kandy
Reviewed 30 September 2011

A friendly and effective manager and his efficient staff made the hotel a home away from home for my family - 3 adults and 3 children - to which we returned three times during our month long trip through the island to take a rest and prepare fro another trip. It made for a memorable holiday.

Room Tip: Try to book a room on level 4 or five for the best views of the city below.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 September 2011

After having read many of the other reviews we were a little apprehensive as to what we would find here. However, as a 2* hotel this was a very adequate hotel. At the end of the day you get what you pay for. We had a lovely big room (triple) and although the beds were rock hard for my liking, my husband and 12 year old daughter were comfortable enough. We only stayed for 2 nights and the food was OK, although for breakfast I had an undercooked fried egg and got food poisoning from it. On the downside the hotel really is at the top of a very steep hill, so we were disappointed that we couldn't venture out. A tuk-tuk would be needed to get down the hill.
Overall an enjoyable stay, and because it was a 2 night stop as part of a privately escorted tour, we were hardly in the hotel much.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2011

my plan was to stay one night at Hilltop but because of the good treatment,clean rooms and toilets and the exelent service I stayed 12 days . when having a problem I found all staff helpfull and around me they like to help without letting you feel like you have to pay them tip .the staff were smiley and helpfull as I mentioned and the management were more helpful and supportive .I will advice my family members and friends to visit the hotel. specially I like to mention Mr. Azmath Hamed the Hotel manager who were really supportive and helped me alot at my visit.
I am a lady from Jordan and used to live in Dubai.

Room Tip: 505 ,510 are good rooms with pool and vally view, very nice view
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Manal_mhailan
Reviewed 31 July 2011

(+)
Cheep
Easy to access(only a 10 minutes drive from the Kandy city)
Friendly staff
Sweet delicious desserts...(yum yum)
view was amazing at night
Good for a short period of stay in the city

(-)
Noisy (disturbed by the noise of the wedding function held downstairs)
Bathroom doesn't had a bath tub
The mattress of the bed was very hard
Limited Space

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2011

The hotel is in the city centre near the train station where the noise of the trains are heard all nights. The staff are friendly but the rooms are basic with dirty bathrooms and full of moscito due to the srraounding greenary.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank RashDubai
Reviewed 3 July 2011

Nice location - not on top of a great hill - its just a small mount.
Not any great location and views from the hotel.
We arrived at 6 am to find no one at the hotel lobby and had to wait for over 40 mins to find one Hotel Staff who helped us to check-in.
The food was very normal and the same spread was repeated on all days.
So, better to plan for an a-la-carte than the buffet spread.
Location is good - close to most of the Kandy sight-seeing places.
Staff - as in all Sri Lankan hotels are warm and friendly - but helpless.
The beds were so sweaky. The rooms had a strange smell of wood.
Dont know if I will want to stay here again...

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MArasu2000
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Good value for what you pay , very friendly staff, the resident manager is a nice person with a lovely smile, the view is grate,

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family