“Poor quality rooms, Great location”
Review of Queens Hotel Kandy

Queens Hotel Kandy
Ranked #32 of 57 Hotels in Kandy
Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

Great value when you get a reasonable rate. Street-facing room was a bit noisy and bathroom is outdated, but otherwise great for the price. Can't beat the location - walked across the street to the lake and shrine.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Queens Q, Front Office Manager at Queens Hotel Kandy, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Greeting Good Day !!

Thank you very much for updating your comment us on Trip Adviser and your comment is highly appreciated by our management. Honestly we would like to apologize for the noisy and bathroom is outdated.

We are looking forward to welcome you again and please contact us on reservations.queens@kandyhotels.lk or +9481745745 for your next visit.

Thank You and Warm Regards.

Queens Hotel.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,135)

Reviewed 29 September 2013

The history and furnishings of the colonial style building was a real highlight. the hotel is in a great location, we got up early and walked around the lake with the locals and were close to several sights. In general rooms were average but clean and good air conditioning.
The tour desk was helpful and the pool was lovely, some more gardening would have made the pool area more attractive.
We were fortunate to see a Sri Lankian wedding in the spectacular lobby and the staff we helpful with explaining the tradition.
We enjoyed Asian side of the buffet breakfast.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Queens Q, Front Office Manager at Queens Hotel Kandy, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Greeting Good Day !!

Thank you very much for commenting us on Trip Adviser and your comment is highly appreciated by the management. We are looking forward to welcome you again and please contact us on reservations.queens.@kandyhotels.lk or +9481745745 for your next visit.

Regards.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Queens is a heritage hotel with great character and charm. It is well priced, has a lovely pool, bar area/ lounge and dining area. Offers buffet breakfast and dinner and we regretted not staying and eating dinner at the hotel. Excellent location for visiting the Temple of the Tooth, cultural show, lake and local market. Rooms on higher floors overlooking pool are best. These rooms will have higher numbers. For example 104-106 better than 101-102. But 204-206 better than 104-106. Lift/ elevator is from another era and charming.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors overlooking pool are best. These rooms will have higher numbers. For example...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Queens Q, Front Office Manager at Queens Hotel Kandy, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Greeting Good Day !!

Thank you very much for comment us on Trip Adviser website and also we highly appreciated your feedback by the management. We are looking forward to welcome you again.

Please feel free contact us on reservations.queens.@kandyhotels.lk or +9481745745 for your next visit.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 27 September 2013

We stayed there 2 nights and after so many issues we decided to go somewhere else. I felt the hotel is overpriced for what you get. It's a very old hotel, doesn't smell very good, and the ameneties are very basic.

Hot water was not available at first. Had to call front desk to send someone to look at it and wait around 30 minutes before it was fixed. Can be kinda furstrating after travelling one full day and you just want to relax.

Next we went out for sightseeing and handed over the keys to housekeeping and we informed them we would be back in the evenning and would like our room to be cleaned. When we returned they handed us the key and once we got up to our room we discovered they had not done anything. They had not even entered our rooms. Very unprofessional. We called front desk again and they sent housekeeping at 8:00 in the evenning. After a long day out the last thing we wanted was to sit and watch our room be cleaned.

Also our AC just stopped working but it was fixed promptly. Security guard tried to correct my husband in the way he was sitting.I found that very rude as his job is not to teach people manners.

Anyway for the price you pay it's not worth it. Breakfast is very basic and not impressive. They don't have room service after 23:00 hrs.

The only good thing about this hotel was the waiter during dinner. I forgot my Iphone and he actually came to my room to return it. He was always smiling and very kind.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Tati_Ray
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Im a regular visitor to your establishment, this time the first impression we got when we entered the hotel was not professional, October and August for perahare, I was there with my family then I was happy with the welcome we got the Manager personally came and welcomed us, then we felt like coming home but the things have changed I was surprised to see, this time we came to kandy from kdalama with a bad experience, any way this time it was not the same, as soon as we came into Queens we felt the difference the tall fair looking manager was not to be seen last time he was doing a shift, any time we came down he was there with a smile to greet us my wife asked Sir, don't you sleep, then he said we chose this career so it's a pleasure serving the guest who come to queens, one day he went out of his way to help us one night I had a problem with my credit card at 10.45 pm I wanted to go to a bank he said don't worry I will come with you because it's too late for you to go alone, that's the service we got, and the staff too was active, this time he was not there, I inquired about him, but the lady who was in the front desk didn't want to give me the information, it's a pity you don't keep professionals like him, I wish him all the best, but now the story is different, don't know why? I think you need a professional manager like him who could pilot the staff, I wish him all the very best because its the first impression that matters, food was average, but the service is poor in the bar the staff need Training, and the bell boys too seemed to fight for the tips in front of the supervisor who was there a (fat short guy), he too ignored as if he didn't see what's going on they're running like kids they don't no what there doing, I'm not a hotelier but I travel round the world so I know about the hospitality business, we started to come to queens because we liked the colonial feeling that has in queens and I hope the management will read this and rectify the problems , i wanted to speak to the manager they said he is not inn, if I'm to come again to queens, i will meet the manager I hope then he will be in, if not you will be loosing customers for sure in future ,
Good luck!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Kevin J
Reviewed 22 September 2013

After roughing it a bit at our last place we decided to book in for two nights in this wonderful colonial hotel. It did not disappoint, as the location, lobby, service and rooms were all a slice of Victorian heaven. The staff could not do enough for us.
The only down side was the noise from outside, but maybe this is to be expected with a central location in a busy town.
Breakfast was excellent, and the location for the main attractions really could not be bettered.
We booked through Agoda which meant we had value for money. If your going to stay here do the same.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Yes, it's like stepping back to the days of yore! This centrally located colonial style hotel is opposite the Temple and lake, for which Kandy s famous. A slightly faded but well maintained hotel, with airy rooms, public areas and bar. My room was fairly compact, with a bathroom that would have befitted a contortionist!
The bar was a popular drinking hole for locals a well as hotel guests, and the evening buffet dinner 'poolside' was very well frequented. A huge selection of salads, local dishes, grilled fish etc and desserts, with reasonably priced wine list. Their breakfast buffet was adequate with selection of Western or Sri Lankan menu.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the pool area, away from the street noise.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo