1,289 results
All reviews heritage hotel wooden floors kandy lake colonial architecture bygone era tooth relic view of the lake buffet breakfast centre of town tuk tuk dalada buddhist
Reviewed 16 March 2014

My experience here was disappointing. The location is great - right across from the Lake and across the street from the entrance to the Temple of the Tooth. And the breakfast and lunch buffets were very nice. That's pretty much where the good ends. My room, 201, was not what I had hoped. For starters, the shower door did not close. That was repaired after I complained. I placed the stopper in the sink, filled the sink with water and only then realized there was no way to extract the stopper. I had to wait for maintenance to come and repair (a second maintenance call). Perhaps the most challenging part of my stay was figuring out how and where to plug in the tea pot provided. You have a choice to use the single outlet for the TV or the single outlet for the coffee pot. Don't even consider plugging in a laptop! Sleeping was a challenge. There is absolutely no soundproofing. People talking in the hallways are like someone talking in an adjacent room with the doors between the two open. The transom door to the room means the hallway light pours into the room at night through the glass panel at the top. There is no way to darken the room. The pool was lovely. Unfortunately, when I went to use it the pool attendant, the keeper of the towels, was no where to be found. When I finally did go for a swim I discovered the pool was completely taken over by a swim team of 10-12 kids who were doing timed sprints. The front desk was less than helpful. The Peradeniya Botanical Gardens (which you definitely should see) are listed as #3 on the Kandy Attractions posted prominently in the hotel lobby. I asked for a map of the city (none available so they said) and its direction from the hotel. The front desk never heard of it. They sent me to the in-house travel agency. He did not have an answer and sent me to the hotel's currency exchange desk (really). Bottom line - there are several hotels along Kandy Lake, including the Hotel Suisse. I would try another one and give this a skip.

Room Tip: Avoid room 201 at all costs.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 March 2014

The hotel is in the most ideal place in kandy. On to the left side is the main world recognised attraction: Temple of tooth. On the front of this hotel overlooks the beautiful lake of kandy city. The hotel is huge and denotes a lot of cultural heritage but you feel that its very old, specially once you go to the room. Also note that there is no alcohol in the mini bar because its right next to the temple of tooth (although bar/restaurant serves it), and there is no Spa.

Room Tip: Ask for the pool view rooms (i hear those rooms are renovated)
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I see that many reviewers complain about the noise, the lack of alcohol and the run down state of this hotel. I was pleasantly surprised by the standard of the rooms, the lovely colonial bar (which did sell alcoholic beverages!) and the quality of the breakfast. Service was great, location is excellent and I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Kandy. Our room faced the pool and courtyard and we were not bothered by noise on the street.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HH_MrsBob
Reviewed 28 February 2014

In terms of historical value and the location of this hotel, it is really good. When you enter the lobby you feel the grandeur of the olden days. Hotel staff is courteous and helpful with good service. We were in a group of 30+1 tourists and I was triple-sharing a room with my parents. The lake view is really good especially in the morning and good to take a walk. The tooth temple is also at a walking distance as well as the Kandyan cultural centre. The dining hall is spacious and the dinner and breakfast buffet fare was quite good. The elevator facility is available only in 1 wing of the hotel, so it is cumbersome to carry one's baggage and have to depend on the hotel staff if your room is on higher floor in the other wing. Then the walk to your room too is more through a long corridor. The rooms are quite big and look bit empty. Even the room numbers seemed to be haphazardly placed and difficult to find on our own. There was also some problem with water in the showers - it came in spurts and bursts. But my own nightmare started when I went to sleep. After about 45 min to an hour, I felt itching over my arms and neck. Putting on the light I saw quite a few bed bugs on my pillow. Mine was the extra bed due to triple-sharing. At around 12 midnight, we called the hotel reception & they promptly came. They took away the cot, mattress and all. They said there was no other spare room in the hotel to shift to and got me another cot, etc. The new bedsheet that they had put was slightly damp. Worst was when I tried to sleep again after all the changeover, again I felt and saw another bed bug on this new pillow. Somehow the night was over with bits of disturbed sleep. For me, I felt the old hotel had equally old furnishings and setup.

Room Tip: Choose rooms on the wing where elevator is available to avoid long walks to your room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jyoti_Bhat
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We ended up here when then travel agent messed up our booking. It was just dreadful. It looks ok from the outside but is in dire need of renovation.
Unfortunately our rooms were on the 2nd floor overlooking the main road and the buses and tuk tuks started at 5am.
The pool was depressing. We had to go down a rickety fire escape to get there.
We had a connecting room, though not one which connected with our kids' room. the connecting door didn't shut properly and you could see light through the gap.
The buffet was dreadful. No real choice and an empty restaurant. Breakfast was no better.
We felt the staff did what they could, but it didn't really help.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Queens Q, Front Office Manager at Queens Hotel Kandy, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Guest.

Greetings from Queens Hotel !!

Thank you very much for your review about us on TripAdvisor and we are very pleasure to inform you that your comment feedback is very important for us to be improved our service standard and we have shared all this indicated points with our management.

We could take these points positively to be correct our self and hopefully in next occasion we would be able to give you a good quality service, if you wish to visit to us again in your next Sri Lankan Tour.

Please do not hesitate to contact us on +94815745745 or reservations.queens@kandyhotels.lk. for your next visit.

Thank You.