Hotel Thilanka
US$51
US$47
Priceline
Great 4.5/5
Sevana City Hotel(Kandy)(Great Value!)
US$44
US$42
TripAdvisor
1,473 results
All reviewskandy lakepool areasri lankagreat viewbalcony doornice pooldinner buffetoverlooking the lakelovely hotelstayed here for nightsrestaurant staffbuffet styletop floortooth templeshort stayrooms are spacioushot water
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 September 2012

I stayed here 1 night as a part of a round trip. This was the most beautiful hotel of all, it was perfect clean, modern and nicely furnished. My room had a balcony, air conditioning, fridge, telephone and the bathroom was brand new with a dreamlike rain shower.
The hotel complex is also very clean made, on entrance area there is a small fountain and a lobby with TV.
The buffet in the evening had a lot of selection, even pasta, whom I otherwise nowhere got.
Very recommendable hotel, I would have liked to stay longer!

2  Thank Kenne G
Reviewed 30 August 2012

We stayed at Thilanka for two nights during our Sri Lanka trip. At the first sight we were very concerned about the room, with very old furniture and musty smell. However the facilities compensated the quality of the room, very nice pool bar with a great view from the lake here in the morning you can also see little monkeys play around in the garden.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Victorsts
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We stayed here for two nights during our tour of Sri Lanka. Initially we were concerned when we saw refurbishment works being carried out upon our arrival but this did not affect the reception, bar pool and restaurant areas. There are fine views from the bar/pool terrace area - both during the daytime and at night, when the lights of Kandy provide a fascinating backdrop.
Our room had outside access and included a pleasant inner courtyard area. the rooms was very clean, well appointed and comfortable.
Sadly, although service was very good, the restaurant food quality at breakfast and dinner was lacking. As we were on a busy schedule and the hotel was merley for overnight stops, this was not a big problem but if you intend to stay here on a resort basis then eating out would be a must.

2  Thank Andrew A
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We were booked for a 3-night stay in this hotel and the booking was done , confirmed and paid for, online. On arrival, we were told that there had been a "Sales Dept over-booking problem" and were informed that we would be put up in Kaya Residence, a fair distance away, which is purportedly owned by this hotel.
As a gesture of compensation , we were told that we could have dinner free of charge at Thilanka hotel itself for that night and the following 2 nights we were there, even though it would mean a commute of 15 mins by car (.Incidentally, on our last night when we turned up for dinner, we were asked to pay for dinner because the duty manager that night had not been informed about this arrangement. We did not pay in the end when we reminded him and as him to check with the duty manager who was there when we checked in).
The room at Kaya Residence was nothing more than a glorified backpacker's motel; it was definitely not ready for occupation. The toilet was foul-smelling and the room was dim. The furniture was less than basic and worst of all were the beds (2 singles pushed together) as they were of the poorest quality - we could feel the bedboards through the mattresses.Breakfast was a poor imitation of whatever Western-style breakfast the management had perceived. There was no sign of the buffet breakfast that we had paid for. Having a shower was a game of Russian Roulette - you never knew whether the hot water was going to come on or not. There was no light outside the door so we had to grapple in the dark down 2 flights of stairs.There were no chairs in the room but the staff were kind enough to procure them from somewhere else .There was a pervading smell of cement in the room (maybe it was too new?) from the cement floor.
This place was in such a remote and new area that 2 of the 3 taxi-drivers we used were not familiar with it.
Although the man in charge at Kaya Residence was superb in doing his best in a poor situation to make our stay as comfortable as he was physically able to do so,this was not what we paid US135 per night for. .All the time we were at Kaya Residence, no one from the main hotel (Thilanka) made any attempt to contact us or to find out how were were doing.
We were contacted by email after our stay and offered a paltry sum as a refund .It's not money that matters - we don't mind paying for good service and a quality product. We got neither. It's a pity as our trip to Kandy was a stressful one because of this incident and the non-professional attitude shown by the hotel. I am glad to say that our on-going trips to Galle and Nuwara Eliya were indeed wonderful and resembled nothing like this.

Room Tip: If you can gett a room at Thilanka, all and well. And if you are going to be shoved to Kaya Residence, i hope the place is better able to receive guests by then.
2  Thank C121lee
Reviewed 10 August 2012

It is difficult to put one's finger on why this is not a four-star hotel though it certainly tries to be but in my opinion it falls short on a number of counts.
First, the shape of the hotel causes lots of problems. Wind-swept corridors with rooms off them. OK in good weather but we were there when there were heavy showers and we had to endure the rain and wind as we moved around the hotel. And the dining room is separated from the main building and there is no good cover so we had to dash on one occasion for our meal and reached the table rather damp.

This htoel tries to e four-star but fails on a number of counts.
First, the shape of the hotel prevents it from being little mre than a wind-swept building with corridors open to the elements. OK in good weather but we were there when it was windy and rainy and we wished that it was not so exposed.
Also,you arrive at reception and to get to your room, you have to get into an old-fashioned lift pulling the doors behind you. Then take the left to the third floor. cross via some stone steps to another part of the buidling and take another lift to the floor of your room. Incidentally, these stone steps can get very wet (there is a sign saying so) and need a handrail for elcerly people like myself. Also they are very badly lit and on two occasions I nearly fell.
The room are OK, large and quite well appointed. But a mat in the shower would have been good --one was in fact provided promptly when I asked but that was after I nearly fell when the tiles in the shower became very slippery. And the beds have sharp edges and I gashed myself rather badly on one of my shins. And althoiugh you have a nice balcony overlooking Kandy Lake, you can forget about using it. The monkeys have taken over and you are warned not to leave doors open. I prefer my wildlife to be a decent distance.
The pool is OK too but the surrounds need tiling. Again, I nearly fell on the uneven concrete surface. It was good to get a special pool towel.
The one good point was the food. Plenty of it and a good varety. It would certainly appeal to the tour groups who pass through in quick succession but we stayed there twice, for six days and then three, and I must say I was beginning to find the buffets rather boring.
As for the service it was over-attentive. When I am eating, I dont like wiaters hovering around me and as soon as I finish the plate is taken away. I did wonder if there was some other reason why the waiters were so attentive.

Room Tip: There is relly little choice. All rooms seem to be the same configuration withe same outlook except that the rooms nearest the lift have a better view of Kandy Lake.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends