“Memoirs of Colombo-Kandy-Bentota journey..nice place thilanka”
Review of Hotel Thilanka

Hotel Thilanka
Ranked #11 of 54 Hotels in Kandy
Bengaluru, India
“Memoirs of Colombo-Kandy-Bentota journey..nice place thilanka”
Reviewed 24 November 2012

We went on family tour to Sri Lanaka. We were in the group of 2 couples. We booked the package including the hotel and transport online through Srilankatravelhouse.com , which gave us bulk cheap rates. We stayed in Thilanka for two days and three nights. We check in late night and had warm welcome. They quickly completed the check in process and take us to our rooms.

Location:
Hotel Thilanka is a boutique hotel nestled. This is the right place for peace lovers as the hotel has quiet surroundings. The hotel is situated 100 km away from International Airport so it took us almost 1 and a half hour to reach the hotel by the cab. On arrival to the hotel we had hearty reception.

Rooms:
We were offered deluxe rooms for stay. The rooms were awesome with marvelous interiors. All facilities were present in the room- mini bar, TV, tea/coffee maker, king size bed, sofa, wardrobes etc. Room has attached private balcony where you can enjoy your morning and evening cups of tea viewing the Kandy Lake. Wi Fi coverage is also available in the room.

Food:
Food was fabulous. We had very good buffet breakfast which was rich and had a large selection of pastries, eggs, salads, vegetables and cheese. Buffet dinner had large selection of rice and curry, pasta, fish, meat and vegetables that is perfect combination of western and eastern food.

Miscellaneous:
Staff was very professional and always keen to help you out. Service was personalized which makes you like home.

The swimming pool is very nice along with the bar and the restaurant where the local band music is played during night. They also provide services to the ayurvedic spa so we also tried it.
We also visited the main tourist attractions of Kandy- Botanical garden, Tooth temple and Elephant Orphanage.
The stay at Thilanka hotel is absolutely fabulous with lovely memories to share with everyone else.
Absolutely awesome trip in end

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Shiv P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 22 November 2012

The great thing going for this hillside hotel is that its location affords great views of Kandy. I checked into a lake-facing standard room - the interior decor came as a shock to me. At close to $75/night, you'd expect a working television and switchboards that won't fall apart at the touch. The bed was comfortable at best, and the bathroom looked straight out of the 80s. Now, I guess a part of the hotel was built over meaning that there's a mid-level (also the pool level) where one has to change lifts to get to one's hotel room. Oh, and if you're looking to browse the web in your room, don't bother - you can't. The wifi works fine around the pool though. The breakfast buffet was substantial and the staff, friendly. Overall though, compared to the Thilanka in Dambulla (which was massively better), this property was a thorough dissappointment.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank K S
agnes water
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Stayed at Thilanka for 1 night. Our room was very big with a balcony and a great view of the lake. Sitting on the balcony watching the monkies in the trees (and on your balcony) is awesome! Buffet breakfast was good.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 14 November 2012

I practically ran out of this hotel and made my driver swear he would never let anyone else stay in the Thilanka in Kandy. Please look at my photos -- they show the real state of the room and when I saw the implements the cleaners were cleaning with, I understood why.

Firstly, the hotel is easily 5-10 years overdue for a complete overhaul. I saw the staff changing mattresses in some of the lower floors (really putting a plaster over a gunshot wound) and I won't describe what the mattresses they were discarding looked like. I will say however that my bathroom door was so water damaged at the bottom that it wouldn't close and the ceiling in the shower looked like it was going to drop down on me at any moment (see picture).

I'm not a prima donna though and have stayed in some bleak hostels in Nepal and throughout SE Asia, so worn out is not my complaint. Rather it is unbelievably, indescribably filthy. I am not exaggerating one bit if I say I slept in my clothes, wore flip flops in the shower and slathered my hands in spice balm so I wouldn't have to smell the room. The hotel was fully booked so I couldn't change rooms so when I called to complain about the overpowering urine smell and requested a re-clean (assuming it had been cleaned at all), they sent up staff with cinnamon spray to cover up rather than address the cause of the smell -- needless to say, by the time I returned from dinner, my room smelled like a urinal again. The shower was simply an added bonus, with a huge unidentified brown streak down the centre of the tub accompanied by what appeared to be an embedded dried out worm (see pictures once again). I barely slept, thinking about what was on the sheets/pillow/mattress and working out showering strategies in the morning. Had my reservation been for more than one night, I would have walked away from the room charge (that it was over $100 is just surreal) and moved to another hotel.

Not that I expected any niceties from a hotel that can't get it's rooms right, but the soap was of the 1950's over-perfumed variety, you couldn't use the balcony with views over Kandy because it was constantly occupied by monkeys and the wifi didn't work anywhere despite the staff looking at me and my iPad like I was a moron for not being able to figure it out (I talked to a number of guests that couldn't log on).

The only highlight was the staff, who were unfailingly polite and courteous, if rather ineffective.

Room Tip: As mine was such a disaster, I would advocate avoiding a room altogether.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank LondonFlychick
thilankaKandy, Manager at Hotel Thilanka, responded to this review, 20 November 2012
We are really sorry for the bad experience you had at our hotel.And we thank you for the post.We will make sure all the points you mentioned are taken care of.
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2012 via mobile

Stayed here one night in October really good hotel, location great rooms big and clean although bathrooms could do with updating. Food really good and restaurant excellent service.

Recommended as a base for trips and tours

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Carol210660
Thank you for the valuable comments.We at Thilanka Kandy will be waiting to welcome you back in near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I stay there couple days it really good place walue of money.NIce big rooms just no tv,all of it with balcony witch give spectacular veu for a city.Staff nice and friendly , buffe breakfast I think the worst caffe in town.Its good hotel with a lot of potential .

Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank panczek
Reviewed 28 October 2012 via mobile

Great location, 10 minutes walk from the sacred tooth relic. Staff friendly and helpful. Hotel itself is located on one of the highest points, with great views over Kandy. Massages are ok, the prices are decent too - you get what you pay for! Food was again ok, with some choice in a buffet style supper. However, breakfast dreadful, all fined sugar and enumbers. Hotel had quite a number of old people tours there, we were the only people under 50! Ideal for a quick Kandy stopover, would use again as a base to explore the region.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple