“Nice Spacious Room but Poor Service”
Review of Hotel Thilanka

Hotel Thilanka
Ranked #12 of 54 Hotels in Kandy
Singapore
“Nice Spacious Room but Poor Service”
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Thilanka Hotel is within walking distance from the Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic of Lord Buddha. We had a very nice and spacious corner room with large comfortable bed and windows on both sides, with nice views. However we had to change lift at level 3 to get to our room. The first lift was very small and old, with collapsible grille door.

There were monkeys outside the rooms and we were warned to keep the windows closed. We had a very pleasant dinner at the hotel, with 4 musicians singers going around the tables to entertain the diners.

However our stay at the hotel was marred by poor service during our buffet breakfast. The waiters brought coffee and tea but there were no cups at our table and no spare cups in the dining area. I asked the waiters 3 times for cups. Each time the waiter promised to bring the cups but never did. Finally I walked to the small room, where coffee and tea were prepared, to get our cups. There were 5 waiters there, chit-chatting. There was no supervisor there or in the dining area.

I complained to the duty manager at the reception desk. He paid little attention to my complaint until I said that I would complain.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
thilankaKandy, General Manager at Hotel Thilanka, responded to this review, 30 March 2013
Dear Sir,Thank you very much for the post.Your complaint is taken up at our meetings and restaurant staff been educated.Also the management will look in to the areas highlighted by you more seriously in future.Once again we thank you for the post and apologize for the disappointment at the breakfast service.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
Petaling Jaya
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Nice hotel located at the hill side, have a great view overlooking the Kandy Lake and city, be careful to choose the room facing the lake. The pool side and the dining area is nice , so is the bar area. Rooms are clean though the hot and cold water in the bathroom do not mixed well. Be careful not to leave the bacony door unattended as there are monkeys all around the hotel..

Room Tip: Choose rooms facing the City and Lake to have a great view !
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Singapore
Reviewed 5 March 2013 via mobile

This hotel has a good location overlooking Kandy lake and the surrounding hills. The pool and diining area has a nice view too. We got a newly refurnished room with a good view of the lake. Bedroom was nice but the toilet was not well lit and well designed. Be careful of choosing the rooms which have partially blocked views due to the trees near the hotel. Food was ok and service was fine until the evening came. When I went back to the room, I broke the metallic key in the door knob. It is of course my mistake to break the key but when I approached the front desk for assistance, the duty manager was visibly displeased. I was fine with it because i broke the key and I was sincerely apologetic about it. So I went out for dinner and I came back to the hotel. When I was back and asked how's the repair, the front desk staff gave me a new key. Then the evening front desk manager took the key from me and said rudely: "Dont break this key! We have only 1 key left." I was of course displeased. Two issues here: firstly a hotel such as this only have two keys to a room? Secondly, you need not be rude to me. After all, I stayed at your hotel hoping for a good welcome and a comfortable stay. It is my fault to break your key but I did not expect such a response from such a highly priced hotel. Because of this rude service from it's middle management, this place is only a three/5 for me.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Sir...thank you for the post.Let me apologize to you for the incident.we will take up the matter at our review meeting and do the needful.I will take the steps to correct my staff at the next customer care training.Once more thank you for the post.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2013

We loved this hotel! We were in room 109 between 5 - 8 February, which is right by the pool and restaurant. The room was really nicely furnished, with a little private garden too. We shared our (quite frankly) massive bed with our 3 year old son, and it was no bother.

The food was good - we ate in the restaurant twice and selected a meal from the bar menu once. We loved the bar. It is next to the pool and overlooks Kandy. It has a clubby feel, so felt quite nice to be seated outside on a balmy evening, drinking cocktails.

The monkeys were so funny. In the morning you would hear them running across the roof to get to the restaurant. The staff had to scare them away, but we were fascinated by them (we don't have monkeys hanging outside our house at home!!!).

We used the spa - a lot! I had "the works" - for about £30 I had a full body massage, facial, steam experience and a rose petal and oil bath (lasted two hours). It was lovely. You could hear the exotic birds outside.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Viersen, Germany
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We got room 105 (I think) next to the restaurant, very loud and mold in the room. We asked for another room. We got a new one, room 808. This room was not furnished. The safe was laying on the ground. The shower of the bathroom had a very bad flow, we had to put our towels on the ground otherwise the water would had run to the room. To be honest very disappointing. The pool is closed in the morning, opened at 8.30 a.m. therefore too late for a swim before breakfast.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MundM1995
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 17 February 2013

This hotel has rooms with a very original lay-out, and which are beautiful. Only down-side was that the shower changes from hot to cold water a lot!
Because the hotel is a little bit uphill, the views from the dining area and pool area are great.
The bar is nice as well.
Be aware of monkeys here who will steal everthing you carry with you to the pool or bar area.
Spa was ok.

Room Tip: The rooms near the dining and pool area are probably the nicest ones (we had 107 which is right up t...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Si73
London
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Initial impressions are not good. The hotel is heavily used by groups and the Reception and corridors to the rooms have all the charm of an underground car park. But it gets better and the location is hard to beat with fabulous views over Kandy. In our room (a few doors away from the restaurant) the bedroom area was divided from the (separate) shower and toilet by a screen that housed the wardrobe, safe, dressing table, kettle etc. It worked, but the area was very dark and cramped and you had to be careful when making tea/coffee. Good pool on the main terrace overlooking Kandy, with an adjacent bar. We thought the food was very good. The evening buffets had a wide selection of well prepared food and on the two nights we were there, live music. All in all, a good base for seeing the sights and then moving on.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple