“Lovely view”

Ranked #12 of 54 Hotels in Kandy
bunbury
“Lovely view”
Reviewed 27 March 2013

We stayed in the guest room on ground level one room up from the restaurant. The manager was extremely helpful and friendly, he was able to fit a single bed in for our children with no dramas. we arrived quite late but just in time for the buffet dinner, which was lovely with plenty to choose from.
Even though we were close to restaurant it wasn't noisy, the room was clean and had great block out screens on window/ doors. The pool was fantastic the children enjoyed this. The monkeys were around in the morning for the buffet breakfast. The view over Kandy is great. Bit out of town but tuk tuk trip is nice around the lake.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Very comfortable accommodations with a pretty view of the city and lake below. Fun to watch the monkeys playing on the balcony - but don't leave your door open or they will be inside visiting with you. Pool and pool house/bar inviting (but could have done without the radio playing American pop music). Food okay - quality just so-so. Nice respite.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 March 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights. Loved the location in that you could walk to the Tooth Temple, Kandy City, Cultural Dance Centre etc. Nice to use the legs! We enjoyed the views over Kandy and the pool ... It was nice that the pool was cooler and more refreshing than most. We found the service very good and the food at the restaurant nice for both breakfast and dinner. there was an excellent choice of both Sri Lankan and Western cuisine. The room(818) was very spacious, with a lounge area , fruit platter on arrival, and the bathroom nice and modern...... Only thing was the shower went cold and cold and occasionally hot! The monkeys did not bother at all... They are entertaing .... Just keep the doors closed!

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Holland
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Good place and our room on 7th floor had great view over the City. Balcony-doors had to stay closed because of the monkey's an dindeed they were continuously on our balcony. Sufficient space to put our suitecases and could empty them on the benches. The bath-shower we considered dangerously slippery as my wife did hurt indeed here leg tremendously and suffered from it for the rest of the holiday (and still now 1 month later). Upon our complaint we immediately got 2 anti-slippery mats for our bathshower. The buffet is good with wide variation and good quality.

Room Tip: Ask for anti-slip-mat in bath-shower!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Thilanka Hotel is within walking distance from the Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic of Lord Buddha. We had a very nice and spacious corner room with large comfortable bed and windows on both sides, with nice views. However we had to change lift at level 3 to get to our room. The first lift was very small and old, with collapsible grille door.

There were monkeys outside the rooms and we were warned to keep the windows closed. We had a very pleasant dinner at the hotel, with 4 musicians singers going around the tables to entertain the diners.

However our stay at the hotel was marred by poor service during our buffet breakfast. The waiters brought coffee and tea but there were no cups at our table and no spare cups in the dining area. I asked the waiters 3 times for cups. Each time the waiter promised to bring the cups but never did. Finally I walked to the small room, where coffee and tea were prepared, to get our cups. There were 5 waiters there, chit-chatting. There was no supervisor there or in the dining area.

I complained to the duty manager at the reception desk. He paid little attention to my complaint until I said that I would complain.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
thilankaKandy, General Manager at Hotel Thilanka, responded to this review, 30 March 2013
Dear Sir,Thank you very much for the post.Your complaint is taken up at our meetings and restaurant staff been educated.Also the management will look in to the areas highlighted by you more seriously in future.Once again we thank you for the post and apologize for the disappointment at the breakfast service.
Petaling Jaya
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Nice hotel located at the hill side, have a great view overlooking the Kandy Lake and city, be careful to choose the room facing the lake. The pool side and the dining area is nice , so is the bar area. Rooms are clean though the hot and cold water in the bathroom do not mixed well. Be careful not to leave the bacony door unattended as there are monkeys all around the hotel..

Room Tip: Choose rooms facing the City and Lake to have a great view !
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Singapore
Reviewed 5 March 2013 via mobile

This hotel has a good location overlooking Kandy lake and the surrounding hills. The pool and diining area has a nice view too. We got a newly refurnished room with a good view of the lake. Bedroom was nice but the toilet was not well lit and well designed. Be careful of choosing the rooms which have partially blocked views due to the trees near the hotel. Food was ok and service was fine until the evening came. When I went back to the room, I broke the metallic key in the door knob. It is of course my mistake to break the key but when I approached the front desk for assistance, the duty manager was visibly displeased. I was fine with it because i broke the key and I was sincerely apologetic about it. So I went out for dinner and I came back to the hotel. When I was back and asked how's the repair, the front desk staff gave me a new key. Then the evening front desk manager took the key from me and said rudely: "Dont break this key! We have only 1 key left." I was of course displeased. Two issues here: firstly a hotel such as this only have two keys to a room? Secondly, you need not be rude to me. After all, I stayed at your hotel hoping for a good welcome and a comfortable stay. It is my fault to break your key but I did not expect such a response from such a highly priced hotel. Because of this rude service from it's middle management, this place is only a three/5 for me.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Sir...thank you for the post.Let me apologize to you for the incident.we will take up the matter at our review meeting and do the needful.I will take the steps to correct my staff at the next customer care training.Once more thank you for the post.