“Room with a view!”

Ranked #12 of 54 Hotels in Kandy
Bangalore
“Room with a view!”
Reviewed 17 November 2010

The best part about Hotel Thilanka is the location! The balconies face the beautiful lake in Kandy and is a good place to relax if you are not threatened by monkeys. It really feels like we are intruding in their area as they are plenty in number and keep visiting the balconies every now and then. It was something that actually was enjoyable for my little daughter as it kept her busy and entertained. The other good things in the room was the bathroom. Spacious and well maintained..the shower could have been better though. The room is very simple yet elegant. Some simple wooden furniture and stands fixed on the wall. The size of the rooms are also huge. I can vouch for this as my child enjoyed playing and she was satisfied with the space. This is something which we rarely get. I also managed to use the kettle for boiling water for my daughter for her food. The one thing that I disliked in the room is the mattress of the beds. It wasn’t very comfortable probably because they are too old. I think they could very well be changed. The AC in the room was also not in the best condition but we didn’t have any major issue. The food served at the hotel is of good quality and also gives a taste of the srilankan cuisine. We took the buffet for dinner which was quite an elaborate one with also some 4-5 items for the dessert. You also have live music from a band who comes to every table and tries to play a number of their choice. We could not have the luxury of hearing out our fav because my little daughter got cranky midway and we had to pack up early and go to the room! The breakfast menu was also good. There is a big spread from continental to Srilankan cuisine. You definitely have a good choice. The staff is very cheerful and helpful. Good room service as there are many ppl who are all over the place to help you. The hotel is very ideally located as it is walking distance from both the temple of tooth and the art and culture centre. You should visit the dance show which happens at the Kandyan art and culture centre every evening at 5.30 pm. Always book the hotel through your travel agent who can pass on a good discount that they get onto you. Our tour guide (www.srilankanaturetravels.com) was very good to pass on all the discount to us. All in all it was a fairly good experience and I wouldn’t mind back for a longer stay at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
Kochi (Cochin), India
Reviewed 12 November 2010

The hotel is good location in heart of city facing the lake.i dint like the Room though it is really big enough..there was water leak patches on the walls which shld ve been rectified long back....bathrooms are good n neat..Our AC cldnt be adjusted below 25C ...and its gets switched off aftr every 1 hr..some prob with thermostat..nobody came to fix it evn aftr complaning...Another thing i would like to add /..THE POOL IS DEEP AND IT DOESNT HAVE A BABY OR AMATUER POOL adjacent big pool which is 6ft...so our wives and kids who definitely love the pool had to ONLOOK others swimming...WE WERE ALL DEPRESSED..so People who wan get into POOL and Wans Neat Rooms plz Quit the Idea of KANDY THILANKA...

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 20 October 2010

Thilanka hotel would be a good option for budget-conscious visitors. Its location is good as it is only a mere 15 minutes walk to the lake and 20 minutes walk away from temple of Tooth Relic. Nevertheless the hotel needs refurbishment to bring its quality up as parts of the building revealed signs of aging especially the lift which might be dated back to the 80s.

What I like about :
1) Proximity location to the lake, Temple of Tooth Relic and Art Association Hall (venue for Kandyan cultural dance) and town centre - walking distance of 20 minutes
2) Courteous and helpful staff (including the back-office manager)
3) Availability of in-house Ayurvedic massages with on site Treatment Adviser who could give customize and personalize advise on various treatment.
4) Spacious room with nice balcony overlooking the Kandy Lake

What I disappointed about :
1) Lack of english-medium TV channel. All TV channels available are in local Sri Lankan language; none that I could comprehend.
2) Part of building that is aging - lift, bathroom,
3) Limited assortment on breakfast
4) A nice balcony which was adviced to be closed in fear of monkey intrusion
5) Bedsheet which I suspected not changed for every new guest

In summary, I would recommend Thilanka for budget-consious visitors who would like to walk around the lake and the city. Visitors who have a little more to spend and seek higher level of comfortness and plush might wish to look for alternative.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Portugal
Reviewed 19 October 2010

We stayed here for 1 night, wich we think it's enough because Kandy is a big and noisy city. Our room was in the new part of the hotel, with a good bed, clean bathroom and a balcony with a great view over Kandy lake. We stayed on HB basis, and both dinner and breakfast were buffet, nothing special but we managed to eat something without the Sri Lankan spice. We found the staff a little bit annoying, like they're around to get a tip. One of the highlights of our short stay was the monkeys we had in our balcony when we return from breakfast - although it's great don't forget to keep the doors closed.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2010

We stayed at the Thilanka hotel in Kandy for two nights during a tour of Sri Lanka which was arranged by the owner of the guest house where we were staying in Bentota (see separate review for Shangri-Lanka Villa). We stayed for one night and were then away in Dambulla for two nights (also Thilanka Hotel - see separate review) before returning for one further night at the Thilanka Kandy Hotel.

We first stayed in Room 904 and then 210 on our second stay.

The first room was large with a small balcony which overlooked the pool and a small wooded area at the side of the hotel. The room was spacious and clean with a large bathroom with a bath/shower. There was a sign on the window which advised keeping the doors closed to avoid monkeys coming into the room which we took with a pinch of salt given that we were on the 3rd floor.

We had a brief opportunity to use the hotel pool on our first day. The pool was cold but refreshing. It was relatively small but was not particularly busy whilst were there.

We didnt have any monkey altercations but on our way down to breakfast in the morning, we watched as a monkey swung from the roof into the restaurant and then away with a banana!

We stayed at the hotel on a half board basis and both dinner and breakfast were buffets which were very tasty and varied.

However, be careful, on our first night we had the Sri Lankan curry from the buffet and there was one bowl at the end of the table which did not have a label and I assumed (it looked like) Mango Chutney and added some to the pate. When my mouth later began burning whilst eating dinner I assumed it was just that the curry was incredibly spicy. I like hot curries but I couldnt eat it. I later found out that the chutney I placed on my plate was in fact sambol a very fiery and spicy condiment which should be used sparingly... needless to say I didnt make the mistake twice!

There was a small issue on our first night. Whilst eating, a man, who said he was a member of staff came to us at dinner and told us that he had smelt burning coming from our room and that he thought it was coming from the air conditioning unit and he was talking about wanting to go to our room. I tried to ascertain whether he was telling us this because he wanted to go with him/ because he needed us to be with him as he wouldnt enter our room alone/ he didnt need to go into the room but was just telling us what was happening (the air conditioning unit is situated just above the main door to the room). When I tried to ascertain this, the member of staff just walked off and said it didnt matter. Needless to say i was concerned about this - if there was a fire or a burning smell then this was potentially an emergency but the member of staff just walking off and saying it didnt matter made me wonder if he was in fact a member of staff or in fact a stranger who was trying to get us to go to our room where we could have been robbed.

We stayed put in the dining room and after dinner I decided to approach reception to clarify whether there was an emergency, the receptionist had no record of any burning smell near our room and seemed confused. At that time, the man who had accosted us at dinner came into the reception area and the receptionist asked what the problem and he seemed to be telling the receptionist (in Sri Lankan) that there was nothing. We were told there was no issue and so we went back to our room although the receptionist sent a member of staff with us (not the man who had been raising the alarm) just to check the air conditioning unit which was fine and there was no burning smell in the room or otherwise. We had no further issues but it was a bit weird.

On both nights that we had dinner at the hotel there was live music - a calypso quartet on one occasion and a spanish style quartet on the second night, both were very good and were doing the rounds in the restaurant whilst trying to and plug and sell their CDs.

On the second night we also took a short detour to the hotel bar on our way to dinner for cocktails which were well made. The bar was dark and more akin a small pub.

The second room we stayed in was room 210 which was a slightly larger room with small couch and larger terrace which overlooked the restaurant area. The bathroom was again slightly larger than the first room, with a separate walk in dressing area.

I was slightly worried as were taken to our room which was via a service elevator and I thought it was in the staff quarters as there were a number of mops and buckets left in the corridor outside our room. I later learned that our room was next to a dorm room used by tour drivers.

There was no sign on the window in this room and having not seen any monkeys in our previous room we did not have any great expectations. We were therefore extremely surprised when we opened our curtains in the morning to be faced with approx 6 monkeys, clearly intrigued by us and pressing against the window to peer in! Amazing!

The location of the hotel is good as it is a short walk to the Temple of the Tooth, the lake and the shopping area. The hotel is, however, up a steep hill without pavements.

We didnt make use of the spa at the hotel.

I am happy to answer questions - just message me.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 16 October 2010

After having read a few mixed reviews I was apprehensive about the hotel and the comments about how the hotel is nothing like it says on its website. However my fears were illfounded and we really liked the hotel. Check in was smooth enough (but for the lady from the Ayurvedic spa who was doing a hardsell) and the walk to to the room took us past the pool from where there was a glorious view of Kandy and the lake. On the ground floor at the lift the rooms and the corridor looked pretty dark but once we got off the lift on the 3rd floor (we were in Room 900) it was bright and the room with its own private balcony had the same view of Kandy.

The room decor looked a bit confused maybe it was designed to show Sri Lankan motifs but was clean and functional. The service especially in the restaurant and housekeeping was very good and very responsive. The best part about this hotel is that its just a short (uphill though) walk from the key attraction of Kandy (The tooth temple). The food at breakfast and dinner was good and they had some live music on at dinner.
The only downside I found at this hotel was the sagging mattress and the lift (both of which I think needs replacing). But otherwise it is a good hotel and I would love to go back.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
West Hollywood
Reviewed 7 October 2010

This hotel compared reasonably favourably with the more expensive hotels we stayed in during rest of our trip.
Comfortable rooms. Food is OK but there are better options in Kandy itself which is about a ten minute walk.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kandy
OZO Kandy Sri Lanka
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,915 reviews
Theva Residency
Theva Residency
#1 of 1 in Hantana

Been to Hotel Thilanka? Share your experiences!