“very nice place to stay”
Review of Spica Holiday Home

Spica Holiday Home
Ranked #85 of 442 Kandy B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 August 2013

This was the beginning of my 6 week trip to Sri Lanka. What a wonderful warm stay i had at this lovely place. I had a very nice quiet room on the first floor and always was happy to return in the evenings after my full day out sightseeing. All my questions were always answered and the host was always looking out for me to get the best of my stay. I was 5 days here at Spica. It is a bit far from the center of the city, but for me it was no problem at all. A tuk-tuk is easy and cheap if you do not want to walk. Thanks again Spica!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Spica Holiday Home

Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights after scouting a number of places for accommodation that would meet our budget. The General and his wife greeted us with a smile and opened their home to us both with brilliant English and keen for a chat. First impressions last and this one was brilliant. A clean, friendly, homely place with big fluffy towels, a warm shower and beers on the balcony - glorious!

We were happy to stroll down to town but do expect to catch a tuk tuk back - it's steep!

The home cooked dinner was just devine as were the breakfasts. Just be sure to confirm costs before signing up.

This place is perfect for couples, families, singles - it's a quaint comfortable place.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The best thing about this special guest house is the charismatic couple who own it; they run their business with passion and an attentiveness that is yet yo be matched in my travelling experience. They will tend to your every need, no matter how small. I felt as valued as I did welcomed.

The house itself is spacious, bright and airy; coupled with its majestic views of the knuckles mountain range, it has a very sublime feel to it. You can watch the sun rise or set on one if the house balconies, or on a pagoda at the bottom of the garden that sits on the very edge of the hill.

As a solo female traveller, I felt cared for and safe, as the owners Tillak and Chitra ensured I had trusted drivers and guides to assist me on my tour of the city and beyond. They even invited me to join them on a family excursion which was sweet and very touching; it allowed me to experience a part of Kandy I wouldn't have otherwise. They have an impeccable level of English, interesting tales to tell and a wealth of knowledge to offer about the country's history and culture.

The food is very reasonably priced and Tillak prepares his dishes with supreme enthusiasm - I recommended instead of ordering, you let him surprise you one evening - you won't be disappointed. He shows such passion for his guests to have an exciting culinary experience and to sample true Sri Lankan dishes.

Ignore the pedantic and largely unfounded negatives below, this guest house is a jewel of Kandy and is such excellent value for money, you will certainly leave feeling not only satisfied, but that you have found a home from home.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights without any problems. Good standard, wifi, lovely view! They speak english very well and help us with finding a great driver for the rest of the trip :)They also helped us with planning the rest of the tour. Recommanded!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Kaan Y
Reviewed 19 July 2013

This guesthouse is located in the beautiful hills above Kandy with great views and a peaceful atmosphere. However, it's location can also be a bit of a drag - it takes at least 30mins to walk up to the house and 20mins to walk down. This is a minimum of 150rs each way in a tuk tuk which is something to be aware of.

The married couple that run the place are very sweet and welcoming and provide a great taste of Sri Lankan family life. But another factor to bare in mind is the price of food at the guesthouse. It is 750rs per person for dinner (Sri Lankan) and 450rs for breakfast. This may not seem extortionate but you can find the same standard of food in town for much less and furthermore although we should have checked before accepting the offer for dinner, they made no effort to inform us of the price before hand.

All in all a pleasant stay and we slept well while we were there -would recommend.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms have better views and a/c.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 April 2013

My stay here was just average; the location is remote. I didn't mind at all the walk down, but be prepared to get a tuk tuk to return. My room was very average as well. I think I was room 5; it opens to a nice balcony/deck, but right next door is the owner's daughter and 2 very young children, so there was noise and crying from the children. But you can't really complain because it is their house. The room was quite spacious, but very simple. However, the towels were the very worst I have ever seen- and I have stayed at some very inexpensive places across Asia. They were stained beyond belief and rough. These are the kinds of towels that I would use for cleaning the car at home. It is surprising they would give them to a guest, and then of course they were not replaced since the room was never cleaned. There is wi-fi, but be warned the owner turns it off when he goes to bed, as early as 9 p.m.
The food was a bit pricy, especially breakfast. Quality and quantity were again, average at best. Dinner was a better value, especially if you have to end up paying 300 for a tuk tuk to bring you back to the guesthouse after dinner. Prices weren't posted so you should ask beforehand; water was 30 R more there than at a sit-down restaurant in town.
The hospitality was fine, the owner had recent surgery so is likely not as outgoing as in the past, which is certainly understandable.

Room Tip: If you are bothered by noise, may want to stay in a room away from the young family.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
tillykandy, Owner at Spica Holiday Home, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2013

I thank the lady "anonymous" for writing.
I am surprised a bit of the contents which could have been in content similar to the "excellent" reviews down below. (Please read those reviews also). Why I say this is because. the lady had great potential to enjoy herself here which is more like a home. She could have been more open and established a more friendly rapport than be a little aloof and shown us a preference to be alone.

I'll try to answer the matters raised as best as I could.
(a) very Average room : Indeed it is a very average room. (Below US $20.00. Not luxury
class. That is the very reason you pay less than in a five star hotel.
Yes, it is simple and very clean and more, with en suite facilities with
hot/cold water 24 hours on with access to a balcony with a superb view.
(b) I am surprised that my most adorable and cute little grands were
not appreciated. Everybody who saw them, heard them, felt so very homely
with them that they cuddled them, played with them and enjoyed their
little company. After all, being human, I would not consider a child crying
as "noise". Exceptionally, some loners do consider a child crying as
unpleasant, unexpected, or undesirable. What a world!
(c) Towels were the very worst: Normally I personally see each and every room when
they are made ready. As I was incapacitated, I certainly did not see the
towels in the up stair room that she is writing about, in her review. I would not of course use such rough towels to wipe my car and spoil the sheen. Let's not exaggerate.
A bit of prudent sense and respect by simply asking for a change of towels would have met the desirable outcome of her to have a change of towels. Mistakes and misadventures do happen Madam. Silence is not always golden Madam. Ask and you shall receive, haven't you heard?
(d) room not cleaned: I can very well remember explaining to the lady that incapacitated as I was after very recent CABG surgery, (commonly known as open heart bypass surgery) and therefore, apologetically asking the lady whether anything was a miss in the room as I have NOT personally seen it. She told me that everything is fine. I do remember asking her every time I see her "Everything OK?" Never did I get a reply that everything wasn't OK. So........what is the problem? As a policy on security reasons, we clean the rooms only when the occupant is present. She always leaves at about 0830 and comes back at 1900 or later. She could well have asked me to have the room cleaned as and when she wanted. There is nothing wrong in asking.
(e) breakfast pricy: Reminds me of the Chinese proverb, meaning in English "Cheap things
no good, good things no cheap". Sit down breakfast here is not comparable to a
breakfast in a restaurant down town and which cheap restaurant is the lady talking of.
We are certainly not at that level. A properly laid out table, including lightly starched
serviettes, (Not tissues), all cutlery crockery, hot breakfast straight off the kitchen, priced at about US $3.40 with quality B.O.P. tea /coffee, tea, coffee, milk, sugar, separately served (not ready made), fruit/juice, butter, jams/marmalade, hot toasts and all unlimited in quantity is a breakfast much in the English style practiced here at the Spica and justifies our price. We do not serve "supposed-to-be-free complimentary breakfasts". Why? Just why do not you see the good side of things?
(f) Wi-Fi: She had the option of using paid wi-fi as well. Well I cannot give everything free. I have spent a good deal of money for a superb wi-fi sytem and that was not FREE. I explained this to her. And so why complain when I openly told her that the complimentary wi-fi is for the limited hours in the morning and evening and it was also published even in her own booking sheet with Hostelworld.
(g) Comparing prices of Mineral water is not fair. Various establishments have their own methods of compensating accounting methods far too numerous to mention here. She should have researched the prices of quality tea, jams, fruit etc. before writing with assumed authority on the subject of travel and costing. A more relaxed budgetary approach by her and joyful participation with us for mutual satisfaction, openly, would have been much better.
Readers be warned of what you read in reviews. These are only personal opinions. Please read details of websites/micro sites carefully, if in doubt about any matter get it clarified with the owners or management and then make your bookings. Please do not unnecessarily complain later. Spica is just what you see in our website and micro sites, a homely place, and is not like a commercial institution at all, and above all is good value for your money in Kandy.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

we only stayed here one night but it worth every penny! For a family room we paid about 14 pounds. The couple who run this place were really lovely. They helped us arrange a driver and helped us plan our trip. The room was basic but clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family