“Really nice place”

Days Inn Kandy
Ranked #39 of 388 Kandy B&B and Inns
“Really nice place”
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

it is the best place for spend holidays.
good service and we enjoyed well .. special thanks for our 2k2k driver and service staff...
it is very clean nice location with nature view... special thanks for chanaka and others staff again we will back soon.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nimesh l

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Quebec
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed 2 nights at this hotel and despite good service fromt the staff, I was overall disapointed by this hotel. As soon as I stepped in my room I found a huge coakroach which was killed right away by an employee, but the smell of the toxic product used remained in the room for the duration of my stay. Also, there was a lot of mosquitos in the room since the bathroom window screen was broken which did not prevent bugs from getting in. However, I was given an electrical mosquitoes/bugs device which is supposed to help eliminating them. On my second day, the door knob was stucked/broken and the staff had to force the door to allow me to return inside my room. At least I did not have to go outside again which would have been a problem as I would have been unable to lock the door from the outside. I guess I was unlucky during my stay. The hotel location is ok, but quite a long walk from Kandy's Lake and the Tooth Temple. Breakfast was not included. The bed was clean and confortable and the a/c was working well. If the hotel would be better maintained it would be a good option for a short stay in Kandy.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
anurapd1, Owner at Days Inn Kandy, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Thank you for the response. It was very nice to hear from your story. This gentleman stayed one night and came back to us again after a day. No complains of the first day stay and he requested the same room again. The bathroom mesh has been there to avoid bugs coming in and also to have ventilation. Never had a complain.
The door lock and other moveable things can break and it is unfair to blame us. We have been running this hotel for 10 years now and this is the first time this happened, We are living in a tropical country and the bugs and other little insect creeps in from the gullies and other little openings. No one would like to have bugs and insects in their premises and we are doing our best to keep them away. We are trying our best to provide the best to our customers who are looking for low budget facilities, It is very difficult for us to satisfy some people no matter what you offer to them and it is the nature of this business.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stayed there for a few days recently while touring Asia. It is a great location very near the main things you would wish to see while in Kandy. The staff knew tourist attractions that would interest us, as well as gave us proper pricing information so we wouldn't get taken advantage of at the tourist traps. I went to their recommended elephant riding spot and had a great time! There is even a nearby private pool that is accessible for hotel guests. Overall they are a very hospitable staff. The hotel is on a mountain, so the view from the road as you are driving up the mountain is great. A few friendly monkeys congregate up the road at that little viewpoint and are happy to get treats from the tourists coming up the way. It was quite fun to interact with nature like that. All in all it was a safe and comfortable stay during my time in Kandy. I would highly recommend!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I would not recommend the Days Inn. While the young guys running it are lovely and very friendly, and it's a reasonably good location, I had one of my worst travel experiences here. I lay on our bed in wet bathers one day and noticed the wet patch went yellow and smelt of urine. When we peeled back the sheets, the mattress was completely stained, it was absolutely disgusting. We flipped the mattress and it was just as bad on the other side. We had to get new sheets and swap that mattress with the underneath mattress (and this was in our second room because our first room had too many Mosquitos to count - we even had to get rid of a toad from our room that was eating them - and the air vent next to the shower opened into the inside stairwell, meaning it was possible to see into the bathroom).
Both rooms we stayed in were very close to the communal eating area, so it was noisy from about 7am and until 10/11pm.
The breakfast is probably the second worst we had during our month in Sri Lanka.
We got them to organise a driver for us to Sigiriya, 2.5 hours north. Except they told the driver the wrong location and he took us 2.5 hours south to Nuwara Eliya. Both us and the driver were pretty upset when we got to Nuwara Eliya and realised what had happened. We wanted to come back to Kandy and try again the next day, because it would take 5 hours to get to Sigiriya. We called the guys at the Days Inn and they said it would only take 3.5 hours to get to Sigiriya from NE because the driver could take a different route, so we agreed. But that was not true, it took us more than 5 hours to get there - 7.5 hours total. They would have had to pay for the driver for the day if we came back to Kandy so that's obviously why they lied about the time.
One positive is you can use a pool down the road at an apartment complex.
I think they mean reasonably well but it's just poorly-run and we didn't appreciate being lied to. We've stayed at a lot of different places over the last month in a similar price range and this was overpriced; it was by far the worst.

Room Tip: Avoid room 4 - shower vent goes to inside stairwell and is very noisy. Check the mattress in room 3...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Photos4246, Owner at Days Inn Kandy, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Sorry to hear about your experience at Days Inn-kandy. Thanks for letting me know. I was out of town and my manager told me the mishap with the travel arrangement. He had organized one trip to Sigiriya and another one to Nuwara Eliya at the same time in the morning, and the drivers got mixed up. Instead of going to Sigiriya he had gone towards Nuwara Eiya. Manager had agreed to pay the full cost and take them back to Sigiriya. It was a rare mistake from his part and I apologize for it. I will look in to the problem with the bedding issue and I take it seriously and take necessary action if it is true.
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Myself and my boyfriend, Alex, only had one night here, but we wish we had more. Dan, the owner, was extremely welcoming and friendly on our arrival. FREE tuktuk pickup from the train station too (and the tuk tuk driver waited an hour for us due to a delayed train!)

Dan gave us some recommendations on where to eat and what to see. I would recommend the Kandy Muslim Hotel in town. It's NOT a hotel, just a restaurant. Brilliant food and very cheap (westerners - expect to be ushered upstairs, but you get a good view of the area from a window seat).

Dan even organised a tennis session against Alex which was a nice start to our final day, and a good bit of early morning exercise!

Great views over Kandy, as this guesthouse is situated in the hills. We just wish we could have stayed here longer to enjoy Kandy a few more days. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed March 2014
Photos4246, Owner at Days Inn Kandy, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Thank you Ashley for writing a review about us. That was great and I appreciate for that. I am sure your views on our facility will have great impact on our future guests in selecting accommodation in Kandy. I also enjoyed talking to you and playing some tennis with your boy friend. We are always there to help our guests.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Really friendly service from start to finish, the staff arranged a great sightseeing tour for us including a trip to millennium elephant Orphanage and a tea factory. When we arrived after a long trip from Hatton we mentioned we were hungry and the staff quickly rustled us up some delicious egg sarnies at no cost. Great rooms with tv, air con, hot water and a comfortable bed (which are hard to find in Sri Lanka on a budget) and you can also have use of a nearby pool. The best room we came across in Sri Lanka for this price.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
santiago, chile
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Cons:
- was not cheap compared to other sri lankan hotels.
- the room we had didn't have enough ventilation. (they are others rooms with best view and ventilation, mine was the worst one).
- we had problems with toilets a couple of times.
- The menu should specify what menu do they have available. We wanted to order curry at dinner and they didn't have it(they never offer it at dinner). We wanted to order sri lankan brekfast and they didn´t ask and just served us western breakfast.
- They could have more information about turistic places, maps of the zone etc.

Pros:
- the rooms was clean when we arrived. but they never did maintenance.
- The guesthouse offers a pool service, we asked for it and they brought us with their tuktuk to the pool 300 mts from the room. (nice pool btw).
- The staff is always available to help you in anything you need. Nice welcoming people.
- The food was really good. (not cheap compared with sri lankan prices).

---
- Location was average on a hill like 15min walk from the lake.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
anurapd1, Owner at Days Inn Kandy, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thanks for the review of the hotel. We appreciate your feed back. This way can improve our shortcomings. Our average hotel room prices comparatively cheaper for double ($ 30) Triple ($ 36) as we have advertised in other booking engines. We have put up notices in each room, if guests need rooms to be cleaned each day during their stay. Our policy is not to go into rooms while they are away and without their consent. We are not a big hotel people. In order to prepare a Sri Lankan meal, the guests have to tell us in advance if they need Sri Lankan food as it takes time to prepare. If their is any shortcomings that we have in our facility, we would have rectified it immediately if we were notified. warm regards, Anura Dante