“Stepping back in time”

Ranked #22 of 53 Hotels in Kandy
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Stepping back in time”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I stayed at the Manor House for a few days before and after my trip around the Cultural Triangle and it was like coming home to England - with a twist! I was lucky enough to enjoy two of the rooms - one on the ground floor next to the porch and the other was a first floor Tower room. The first room was lovely and big and I love the colonial style beds, all very quirky. I probably loved the Tower room best as it has amazing views over the countryside.
It was a very chilled experience at the Manor House mainly due the discreet but helpful staff and flexible meal times. It was also an authentic experience with Sri Lankan food (European is available also) and the atmosphere of the whole building that has been fully restored to its original colonial glory. It was like stepping back in time!
I recommend the Manor House to couples, solo travellers (like myself) and families.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Corby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We had just come down from vil ulyana where the rooms were exceptional and were expecting something of the same ilk in kandy and as far as the room went we were very disappointed. I think the room was called ehala and opened up directly onto the porch at the front of the house. People would sit on the benches outside the bedroom door chatting and smoking, the furnishings were basic and in some cases needed some tlc. There was no mosquito nets or plugs, the internet didn't work in the bedroom and there was no TV ( not that I use it anyway). Having said that the staff were lovely and the owner manager really helpful. Would I recommend this place probably but make sure you get one of the better rooms. I discussed this all with the manager on departure and I believe she is doing her best to bring the hotel up to the standards that she wants. It will just take a little time.

Room Tip: Don't go I the ones either side of the front porch
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Ishara D, Owner at Manor House Kandy, responded to this review, 18 August 2013
Dear Sir,
Thank you for your comments. I have taken it all onboard. I would like to note that Vil Uyana is one of the most up market hotels in Sri Lanka. Their Std Dbl Room rate is over 4 times what we charge so we cannot be compared to them. However, we are grateful for you feedback and all your comments have been taken onboard. Its only 1 month since we have taken over the management and we are in the process of upgrading our rooms and our service levels. I hope you had an enjoyable time in Sri Lanka.
Many Thanks
Paris, France
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed there for 3 nights with our 2 children in a very large and comfortable suite.
The hotel is a magnificent colonial house full of history. It is located outside of Kandy center which offers a really good compromise for those looking to escape from traffic noise. We enjoyed the swimming pool which size is ideal for relaxing after a busy day.
The staff was nice and the new managing director was truly helpful offering guidance on visits and telling us all about Sri Lankan food (we had 3 different breakfasts in 3 days!).
We would recommend this hotel as a very good place to stay for visiting Kandy.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite on the first floor!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed at this lovely hotel in the month of March. We were a family of 5 and stayed in one of the suites there for two nights. From the time we checked in to the hotel we were treated very well by the excellent staff and all our requests were met with no delay.
We had our evening meals arranged in the garden where there was a spectacular view and the food was excellent too.

I will recommend this hotel to any one who is looking for a relaxing holiday with great services and we will visit again for sure.

Room Tip: If you are a fmily I would reccoment the Suit room
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 19 March 2013

This is nothing like they claim to be.It is a old Home converted into a hotel and old is the operative word.We were upgraded to what they say were the best rooms that were dark and musty,period type furniture with faded upholstery,trickle for a shower and toilets that don't work too well.Helpful staff but they have no idea of the hospitality industry or standards and mossies galore..didn't seem to faze the staff when asked to do something about it.A meagre menu and cold food.I have no idea how our Tour Agent came to book us here and sing it's praises but surely won't be returning.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Annette680
Ishara D, Owner at Manor House Kandy, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Dear Annette,
I am sorry you had such a bad experience. Following your review and a few others I read, we the owners of Manor House have now taken over the management. The hotel was being managed and run by a third party. Since 01st July 2013, we our managing it ourselves. The hotel has been cleaned thoroughly, rooms refurbished and new trained staff have been hired. If you are again in Sri Lanka, please come for a complimentary stay at Manor House or my other hotel - Plantation Villa, www.srimalplantation.com. You can email us at info@srimal.com.
Kind regards
Bodmin
Reviewed 9 March 2013

The house itself is very impressive in the colonial style. The room we had was on the ground floor just inside the entranse. The room itself was large, clean and comfortable. The staff are lovely,very helpful and interested in the birds we were watching in the grounds. I was invited into the kitchen for a demonstration of how to make local curry - I wish I hadn't accepted. I don't expect things to be up to British standards but the kitchen was really awful. The chef was a lovely man but was working under very primitive conditions and his awareness of food hygene was to say the least poor. This was very surprising considering the standard of the rooms and exterior. I would recommend the hotel , but be aware of what you eat there.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Ishara D, Owner at Manor House Kandy, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. Yes we are not located in the City Centre of Kandy. Most historic villas were built near but away from the City Centre as historically there properties held vast amounts of land. We are about 15mins from Kandy City Centre and in peak time traffic it can take around 30mins. I am sorry the Spa was not functioning during your stay. I have now taken over the management of the hotel since the 01st July 2013 to ensure better service and a better experience for our clients. The Spa is now run by my specially trained therapists from our own Ayurvedic Resort Hotel, Plantation Villa. If you are in Sri Lanka again, please do visit us and contact us on info@srimal.com
Kind regards
Denmark
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Stayed at Manor house for one night. The best part of the stay is the very helpfull and attentive staff.
If you are interested in artitecture it is an interesting villa to see. The location is rarther far from Kandy inself. Har 2 meals and our advice is stick making lokal food. The curry was good. The eastern style food not so interesting.
The spa is not in funktion, which is not mentioned on the web site, Har a massage, but not good, had the feeling that the very nice lady,was not reallly a masseure.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kandy
The Richmond House Kandy
#1 of 1 in Hantana
Clove Villa
Clove Villa
#2 of 53 in Kandy

Been to Manor House Kandy? Share your experiences!