“very average”

Ranked #20 of 54 Hotels in Kandy
Australia
“very average”
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

It is difficult to understand how the lonely Planet came up with their review as I found it to be very ordinary and there are many other guest houses and hotels to choose from that would have been much better. The room had no view, the furniture was broken and very little care is shown to the guest house. While the female owner was nice, the male owner was unresponsive and rude with very few people skills. It was very expensive at $100 usd a night but it was during the perahara. Overall I would not recommend this guesthouse.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Burleigh Heads, Australia
Reviewed 15 July 2014

As others have stated, I came here based on a recommendation in a guide book - the Rough Guide. It was a journey up a long, windy, broken road. The owners seemed nice enough, but the cost was steep!

The dinner was good - the eggplant curry was amazing, and one I still dream about today. The breakfast was just okay, but the owner did sit with me to discuss options for exploring Kandy and gave me excellent advice.

I had little sleep due to dogs barking all night, an uncomfortable mattress, and having all the windows closed due to the mozzies (both malaria and dengue fever are present in Kandy) and I feel a little claustrophobic sleeping under a mosquito net.

The room does have air conditioning and satellite TV, but there are nicer guest houses nearby that are at more reasonable prices and have better hospitality. In fact, upon my return to Kandy I chose to stay at Freedom Lodge where I had a much better stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Aleerak
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

A bit out of the way up a very steep hill but quite a nice little place. Sadly the food was exactly the same every single day but fine, and the rooms were clean but nothing special. The German lady owner was very pleasant and was more than happy to give advice on what to do and where to go, her husband was not so pleasant, he seemed a little offish at times. We stayed for 3 nights, would not like to have stayed any longer. Not sure it should have been in the Lonely Planet though, we expected something much nicer.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Australia
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I recommend you give the Sharon Inn a wide berth. With trusty Lonely Planet under my arm I booked a double room instilled with confidence after the many years Lonely Planet and I have travelled together. It was overpriced but I was willing to pay extra for a good recommendation. We were extremely disappointed - from the indifferent (my partner thought rude) welcome to the room (TV not working, bathroom door and windows did not close properly) to the buffet and breakfast which we really didn't find as fantastical as some reviewers say (breakfast was dry toast and tea with some fruit, dinner buffet average compared to other Sri Lankan food we had tried, and with the militaristic owner saying when we could eat, where to sit, etc) - possibly people who enjoy a more institutionalised setting might find it comforting but we didn't think it was that appealing. One other thing I think it is important to mention is that we left the hotel to go out and half way down the hill realised we had left some cash in a backpack in our room. We went back and as we climbed the stairs we met the owner coming out of our room. He didn't acknowledge us when we greeted him. Nevertheless the cash was missing from the backpack and though I cannot prove anything I would certainly not stay at this hotel again for a myraid of reasons. A very ordinary experience from start to finish,

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Teeeelle
Imola, Italy
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Suggested by both Lonely Planet and the Rough Guide, my wife and I didn’t have doubts in looking for a room here.

The approach was immediately disconcerting. Past the sort of muletrack to drive up there (hard for tuk-tuk’s too), after a while the owner appeared disappointed to interrupt his lunch (it was 4 PM), finally confirming the room available at Rps 7500, about €44 breakfast excl. (+50% respect the Guide's)

The 3rd floor AC room has a narrow balcony to the roofs and terraces of the many guesthouses around (where is the wonderful view celebrated by the guides?), but definitely simple and “cheap”, nothing to do with the modern and well-appointed furniture reported by both guides. Acceptably clean, not the best in class. No help to carry our luggage, nobody around. The AC particularly noisy forced to switch it off for the night, but it could happen in Sri Lanka. The restroom is large, the shower door didn’t close and there is only a narrow shelf for toothbrushes and soap.
The guesthouse has a dimly lit entrance hall with three armchairs on a corner and a small garden.Wi-fi is working just here.

The owner, apparently not the same kind of friendly, smiling Singhalese’s or Tamil’s we always met all around in our journey, looked like always annoyed by us, but busy in singing old American songs with the guitar to few Chinese guests after dinner.

To the other hand, the cuisine is great. We had dinner here and we tasted many really good and different vegetables curries. We definitely suggest it even if not the cheapest.

In synthesis the hotel is by far overprized, after Esala Perahera too. I wonder what the Guides’ explorers found here two years ago.
There are many nicer guest houses nearby with a more reasonable price and hospitality, or comfort hotels for a slightly higher rate. Go there.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michele C
Aalborg, Denmark
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

The rooms are OK, but nothing out of the ordinary. Our double room had 2 beds put together in stead og 1 big bed and the beds were made with rough blankets. Hosts were friendly enough. We paid 6000 rupee for a night, and the stay didn't offer us more than the average 3500 rupee places.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was there at sharon inn for about 4 days in December 2013. The cost of the room was a little expensive but it was clean, tidy and spacious. We did run into some trouble with the maid robbing us of our money. Faiesz and Sue immediately sprung to action, helped us catch the thief, and did come along with us (bearing all our expenses at the court and with the Lawyer) for the trial. Being Christmas time, We were sure the courts would be closed and we would never get our money back. But we did and there was a special hearing. Faiesz is sure a well connected man. They even helped us plan out the remainder of our trip.

Not to mention, the food here is to die for especially for the vegans. All in all, a good trip.

Room Tip: Higher Floors give you a nice view of Kandy.