“Average, but nice enough”
Review of Freedom Lodge

Freedom Lodge
Ranked #24 of 57 Hotels in Kandy
Reviewed 22 August 2011

The place is handy, because it is within walking distance from the lake and the city's attractions. I did have the feeling, though, that the room and the homecooked dinner were a bit overpriced. The room was not special, it was a bit damp even and without any view whatsoever. The food was good, but not very yummy like in some other places.
Nalini can arrange all sorts of tours with a driver (either her own husband or brother in law) and you get good service. Both of them speak English very well and show you everything there is to see. Don't expect the tours to be on the cheap side, though.
On the whole, I would say it is an average guest house.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Heidi_traveling

Reviewed 18 July 2011

This guest house is run by a really friendly family; it is really clean tidy and does a good western breakfast. It’s in a good location just up from the lake but about a 10-15min walk to the top of town and the Temple of the Tooth. If you need any advice on your trip planning the owners are very knowledgeable they also offer a car and driver service if you prefer to travel in a little more style than we did.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2011

I had mixed feelings about this hotel. The room was good, although a bit damp ( but the weather was rainy) and the hosts were friendly on the surface, especially Nalini. Like some other reviewers I felt that they actually wanted to convince me to arrange my stay as they thought I should i.e book tours etc , rather than just letting me explore Kandy at my own pace, which was what I wanted.

The food was rumoured to be fantastic but for a vegetarian it was poor value for the price they charged, and not very authentic Sri Lankan - I suspect toned down for their foreign guests.

Their attitude to assisting me to book a tuk tuk at night was rather offhand, after telling me it was easy and they would call someone, they seemed to lose interest. Eventually Sarath offered to drive me in his car, for a price , and it was extremely expensive.

I think there are better more genuinely friendly places to stay in Kandy.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank one2ormany
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Having travelled for several weeks around Sri Lanka we had a variety of Guest House experience and found this one very good and in fact so good we went back a second time. The owners are friendly and helpful, the rooms are very clean and tidy and the breakfast is amazing. We really did enjoy our stay there but found the tour prices quoted from the owner much higher than other local taxi drivers.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2011

We can not praise Sarath and his guest house enough. He was very helpful, genuine and would do anything to accommodate us and our unexpected friends - even with the Cricket Final on (unfortunately Sri Lanka lost).
Bed and breakfast were great and the place was immaculately clean - some bulbs needed replacing but nothing to taint our stay. Our experience began at the airport where we were picked up (I did pre-arrange this by e-mail) and taken on my request to Pinnewala Elephant Orphanage - a definite must in Sri Lanka to see so many elephants bathing in the river in a relatively natural environment.
We stayed a couple of nights only because of our busy itinerary and even though we were unsuccessful to get train tickets to Ella originally - we were recommended to go and see the Station Master at the Kandy Train Station - after some negotiation (no bribes though) we got tickets in first class...what a great start in Sri Lanka!!
We wish Sarath and Nalini well!!

Room Tip: E-mail ahead of time with any specific requests
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Ok it's only a small couple of "but's" - firstly there's a school nearby which we were told about so no worried, but they start lessons at 7:30 and the first thing they do is music which involves trumpets and drums! The second 'but' is the building work that's going on there at the moment: we stayed 3 nights and treated ourselves to the top balcony room as Kandy was the last leg of our month backpacking around Sri, but from 8 every morning there was sawing, drilling and general building noise - we were told after the first day that it wouldn't happen the next day but it did, and the same for the 3rd day. We normally would have been up and out early but as we were relaxing prior to leaving Sri we wanted a couple of lazy lay-in's and we just couldn't get them.

The Lodge is lovely though, and the owners are fantastic people who are very worldly and knowledgeable and a pleasure to talk to. The accommodation is great and I'm glad we stayed there.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2011

Sarath and Nalini are very hospitable and the other staff there were very friendly too. Simple but good rooms - we stayed in top room which was great as a large room with room to spread out as we were in town for 5 days.
Sarath is very knowledgeable and we took advantage of a day trip with him to Sigiriya and Damboula - he is very trustworthy and certainly practices his Christian beliefs. A really lovely guy.
Nalini has created a lovely garden - ask her to show you all the various leaves and things which you can eat.
Would certainly recommend, just appreciate it is a very simple but clean family home.

Room Tip: Ask for the top double room with the balcony.
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple