Freedom Lodge
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$175
Priceline
US$195
US$77
Travelocity
All reviewsguest housethe ownerpenthouse suitesri lankalocal schoolother guestslovely guesthousekandy laketop floorwelcoming familyfriendly hostswithin easy walking distancea wonderful place to staytuk tukclean roomsnice roomrice and curry
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 March 2010

We had book a room two weeks ahead and re-confirmed in the morning, as asked.
When we arrived in the afternoon (tired), M. Alwis told us that he was sorry but finally, there were no more available room for us because "a lady deceided to extend her stay".
It took us 2 hours to find an decent alternative at a reasonable price.
Terribly unprofessional.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dorotheegva
Reviewed 21 March 2010

A really great guest house and we were made very welcome by Nalini and her staff. The location is good and only a 200 rupee tuk tuk ride from the centre of town. We had the penthouse room the top floor which was a really comfortable with graet views from the balcony. The evening meal was exceptional and we were joined by Nalini who was great company . Our stay here was a real highlight

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2010

My Partner and I stayed three nights at Freedom Lodge at the end of January 2009. From first contact by email Sarath and Nalini were excellent. We arranged airport pick up through them, The driver (Arjitha) was waiting for us in the airport with a nice cool bottle of water and we had a lovely drive to the hotel. On arrival we were warmly welcomed nicely and shown to our room (penthouse). It was very clean and the bathroom was excellent. Sarath and Nalini were always very helpful giving us advice on where to go and were always interested to hear what we had seen. We used Arjitha for a few other trips around the area and he was a fabulous guide. Nalini is an excellent cook and did us dinner every night at a very reasonable cost. This was a full authentic Sri Lankan spread , which just kept coming until no one could eat any more! Sarath drove us to our next stop - Unawatuna on the South, a very safe driver and informative too .
This is a smashing guest house with clean rooms, excellent food and very caring and attentive hosts. Highly Recommended!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2010

I was at Freedom Lodge in July 2009 the first time and now I returned in January 2010. I enjoyed my stay very much. Nalini, Sarath and their staff did everything to make me feel like home. The meals they prepared were absolutely tasty and my room was very clean. I can only recommend the place and I will return again one day.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 February 2010

My wife and I spent two nights in the penthouse suite as we explored areas of Sri Lanka where my wife's family had historical connections. The rooms and public areas were very clean and well maintained and this felt very much like sharing a home rather than an anonymous B&B. Sarath and Nilani were pleasant hosts and the Sri Lankan food was excellent. - breakfast and dinner were both taken at a large table with other guests and there was pleasant company and conversation. Sarath was an excellent guide and a safe driver - he may be more expensive than others but you get what you pay for. He drove us all the way down to Hikkaduwa and although he must have known the time it would take (10 hours via the Tea Plantation - a must see) he never hurried us along and was patience itself when photographic opportunities arose.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay - it reminded my wife very much of visiting her family in Singapore - and we would definitely stay at the Freedom Lodge again.
Interestingly the negative report on Tripadvisor, concerning the couple who could not get the room they booked, did come up in conversation. It seems two young women already in the room refused to leave as one was unwell - Sarath was caught between a rock and a hard place as he is too gentle a man to physically remove them. What was he supposed to do? Personally, I found him to be a trustworthy and honest man.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple