“Peaceful haven just 10mins from Kandy!”
Review of Kandy Cottage

Kandy Cottage
Ranked #9 of 384 Kandy B&B and Inns
“Peaceful haven just 10mins from Kandy!”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We stayed at Kandy Cottage for 2 days and thoroughly enjoyed it. Thomas, the manager, went out of his way to help us - showing us to various places in town, booking train tickets etc. Food was traditional Sri Lankan curries - spicy but delicious!
Was lovely to sit and watch the monkeys outside and only 5 mins walk to a local forest reserve which was really pretty. And it really is only 10 mins from busy Kandy.
Was very noisy at night though - with all the jungle sounds including some animals running loudly on the roof!
Overall a great stay. Thank you Thomas!

• Stayed September 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
New York City
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This is a top-shelf guesthouse tucked away in a shady valley just outside the bustle of Kandy. Thomas, the owner, does it all and guides you through your stay in Kandy and then some. He was a real nice guy although we found him a bit smothering and intense at times. But he runs a mean guesthouse. Although we only had tea and breakfast, it was exemplary. The passion fruit and wood apple jams were gourmet. And good scrambled eggs were a bonus. The sitting area is airy and relaxing. And the location is away from it all: a peaceful little valley that oozes relaxation. Our room was clean and tasteful. The light wood furniture reminded me of a New England guesthouse. So bravo to Kandy Cottage, a fantastic place to lodge in Kandy.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Last reviewed the Kandy Cottage after our stay in November 2012 when my wife and I stayed in the Friendly Room. This time there were three of us so we decided to book the whole cottage for four nights.

Thomas the Resident Manager was at the railway station to greet us and even Kooki the dog welcomed us back like family.

While only 10 minutes walk from the town centre and the Lake, Kandy Cottage is a welcome respite from the hustle and bustle of Kandy. Thomas is as always eager to help and offer advise and organize safe and reasonable local and touring transport.

The daily rate was around $88 per night for the whole cottage for three persons included breakfast. Lunch and dinner were available at cost. The food was always delicious and Thomas and chef Mani always inquired well before meal time as to whether we had any special requests and then went out of their way to oblige. Wifi was included in the tariff.

Tastefully furnished, clean, quiet and comfortable the Kandy Cottage is a home away from home and Thomas continues to maintain a very high standard. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Devon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We loved Kandy Cottage! Kandy is a really busy city and it was a treat to come back to Kandy Cottage at the end of the day - it is only 10 mins walk from centre of Kandy but it feels like a different world. Lots of trees, monkeys, birds and the cottage itself is calm and cozy. Thomas was the most helpful host we came across in Sri Lanka - nothing was too much trouble and he even reserved train seats for our onward journey. Manni is an amazing cook and the food at Kandy Cottage was superb. Overall, we loved Kandy Cottage and cannot recommend it highly enough. It is a bit more expensive than other places in Kandy but I think well worth the money.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2013

The hospitality of the host, Thomas, best we've come across on our travels. Nothing was too much effort - walked with us to town (10minutes to centre), took us to the temple and was an excellent source for local knowledge and events. The food too, is delicious - curries (cost extra) and traditional breakfast: don't expect to leave feeling hungry, he sees to a good feed. Rooms were very comfortable, in fact tasteful too: polished concrete, traditional cotton sheets and mosquito nets/ plugs and fans. And the bathroom too, very comfortable, hot water, clean towels. Wifi works too. First impressions were excellent, but would advise to other travellers on a budget, that we found other guesthouses in the area (perhaps not such a warm welcome) for two thirds if not half of the price (though we booked in advance and didn't haggle...). Would also advise, as in amidst the jungle area, to take long socks and dettol to protect against leaches and jungle formula for the Mosquitos, there were a few but all added to the experience, we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Kandy Cottage is practically in the jungle but still close to the centre of Kandy. The rooms are basic but comfortable. I slept like a baby here! Hot water works and wifi works - two things you can't take for granted in other places.

Thomas is a wonderful host. Charming, helpful and genuinely interested in making your stay in Sri Lanka as good as it can be. He encouraged me to use local transport to visit Sigirya, Dambulla and attractions around Kandy. Firstly, it saved me a fortune and secondly it set the tone for my whole trip. I used buses all over the island afterwards and met some very interesting characters. Before I moved on he sat me down with a map and worked out my itinerary for the rest of my trip saving me a lot of time and money and correcting a few daft ideas I had.

Finally, the food. I had a different breakfast on each of the four mornings I stayed, all of them excellent. Dinner was also excellent and varied. It was my first time in Sri Lanka so I was introduced to hoppers, string hoppers, roti, curd and honey etc. I didn't realise until I'd been on the island for a couple of weeks how good the food is here.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank LostInPyongyang
Singapore
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Tobi and Thomas were wonderful hosts, ensuring a tuk tuk met my train and preparing a meal for me on arrival. Thomas was very kind and made lots of very helpful suggestions for things to do in Kandy and recommended a reasonably priced driver, Anil, to bring me safely back to the airport in Colombo. Kandy cottage is basic, but it is also very reasonably priced. It's wonderful to be away from the hustle and bustle of Kandy itself and to wake up to bird song and the noises of the jungle. My only downside was the number of moth balls in my room. I hate the smell of them, but apart from that the room was clean and comfortable

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo