“Isolated Location”

Ranked #10 of 408 Kandy B&B and Inns
Colorado
“Isolated Location”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

The best part of my stay in Kandy Cottage was the detailed and friendly attention given by Thomas, the manager, the homey atmosphere of the living room and dining area, the delicious food and Cookie, the dog. One of the con or down side of Kandy cottage was its location. It is located a long distance from shops, restaurants, sites of interest and is not walker/pedestrian "friendly". The road to the lodge is very narrow and full of pot holes. Also, my room was uncomfortably hot. The small floor fan was not sufficient for cooling my bedroom. The was no ceiling fan.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank JEMAltitude

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 12 April 2014

...but the mattress made it difficult. I don't know who these people are that are giving reviews saying the beds are comfy, but they must sleep on rocks at home!!!

Here are the pros:

-Thomas is a lovely man who was very friendly and welcoming. We enjoyed our conversations with him. He clearly takes pride in what he does. Nothing is too much trouble.

-The place is in a private, quiet setting and you can actually walk to town if you wish

-Cookie the dog was fabulous

-Good wifi

-If you're looking for a homestay atmosphere, this is your place (but we were not looking for that!)

-Lots of hot water and a nice clean bathroom

-Excellent cuppa tea

Cons:

-The bed. Oh my God, the bed. Every time my hubby turned over in the night, it squeaked loudly and we both woke up (and me with earplugs in!) And the mattress was literally 3" thick (I know because I measured it.) The most uncomfortable bed of our entire trip. Pillows were similarly pancake-like. I am utterly baffled by the people who liked the beds!!! We were in the Moonlit room.

-The room. I can deal with no A/C, but I found the room very stuffy and hot because there were no screens on the windows, so they had to stay closed at night. There was no ceiling fan either. There was a very inadequate floor fan but fortunately we were able to borrow a better fan from another room (Thomas kindly got it for us), otherwise I would have suffocated. Fan or not, I found the atmosphere in there oppressive once we were closed in for the night. I was DYING to open a window, because it was cooler outside than in, but I could not due to potential mosquito invasion.

-Privacy is lacking. If you don't care about this, you'll be fine, but I could hear the guests in the next room through the walls (and they weren't being particularly noisy. You could, for example, hear coughing, the hum of conversation and whatever else was going on.) There is quite a gap under the door too. Every time I made a noise in the night, I was worried about disturbing people. The padlock on the door (instead of a proper keyed lock) was a little off-putting as well.

I was relieved we were only there one night because we both slept so poorly. Having read so many glowing reviews, I really wanted to love it more. Alas, I could not.

Room Tip: If you like a 3" mattress, choose the Moonlit room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank caberwife
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We had a really greate and relaxed time in the Kandy Cottage. The food was delicious and the staff (Thomas) was very friendly and helpful in organasing our trips. Thank you very much!

Kathrin & Dominik

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Southampton
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Stayed in the friendly space with 3 kids--Thomas looked after us perfectly, even making particular Sri Lanka specialties on request. The kids loved Cookie, the dog, as well as breakfasts and dinners. Very relaxing and beautiful, jungle location.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank travelling_Ainslie
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

We liked to stay in quieter places and to come to kandy cottages was one of the best decisions we made. Thomas, the Manager gave us very good tips, helped us wherever he can and as an surprise, he organized a birthday cake for my husband. He is a very fine man and by the way communication was very easy, because of his good english (better than mine) Only 10' to walk to town where it is very busy. The food which we liked to have sri lankan style, was fresh cooked and very tasty.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tomy141
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at Kandy Cottage. It was a welcome escape away from the hustle and bustle of Kandy. Our host Thomas took us on a morning walk and put us on a bus for a visit to the Botanic Gardens. He was friendly and helpful and also organised a driver with a van to take us on our travels north to the cultural triangle and Jaffna. The Sri Lankan breakfast and dinner here was also enjoyable.
Thank you for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gang0fF0ur
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 February 2014

This place is a real find! You will brag to your friends about having found a complete gem - albeit pretty out of the way. We had a car and so getting to and from the city of Kandy was not a problem - by public transport it would be difficult.
This is a gorgeous cottage more than a century old. It is spotless thanks to the outstanding work of manager/host Thomas. The rooms are charming, decorated with rustic and antique furniture; the bathrooms are spotlessly clean and lovely to use; the sitting area, study, garden and dining room make this a home-away-from-home.
Thomas is fastidious in his house-keeping - everything from polished glassware to gleaming cutlery - he runs this place like it is a five star hotel!
Unfortunately, I messed up our reservation and so we got to stay only one of our planned two nights. Understandably, the place is booked solid well in advance. They were fantastic locating another place for us to stay - not as charming - that is a tall order to fill - but very nice and great value at the last minute. We really appreciated the help and would dearly have loved to have stayed longer at Kandy Cottage. Easily among the best places we stayed in during our Sri Lanka trip. Book well in advance to make sure you get in and check careful (unlike me) as they are unlikely to have vacancies.

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful - check to ensure that there is a bathroom attached to your room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends