“Highly recomended place to stay in Kandy”
Review of Kandy Cottage

Kandy Cottage
Ranked #9 of 428 Kandy B&B and Inns
Lisbon, Portugal
“Highly recomended place to stay in Kandy”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Perfect place to stay in kandy, the place is Very quiet and peaceful, a short walking distance from the centre, but the gem of this place is Thomas, with him we felt like family and the food it's absolutely incredible and at a Very reasonable price, the owner of Candy cottage should be proud of having Thomas as a worker here

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Afonso123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

..... and not so much for the place itself. So how many of you notice that nearly all the reviews are focused on the great host Thomas is? He is indeed. Sincere and earnest and helpful. Next, the location. Feels like you are in a secluded jungle, which you very nearly are, except that ten minutes of walk takes into the city centre. In and around the cottage, it is serenity and bliss.
And now the sad part. What I call the absentee owner effect. The cottage is fairly old. It needs major upgradation. First thing you noticed is that it is stark and bare. That goes for the walls, the floors, the beds, the bathroom fittings. Very little goes back into make it more a home. The lawn outside is unkempt. It could have been a a great please to sit out, but that requires money, time and some vision.
Sad to have such potential, and just not do anything about it.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sanjay44
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We loved our stay here. We spent 4 nights in a family room with bunkbeds for the children. Thomas was an excellent host and the food was the best we had during our stay in Sri Lanka. A tuk-tuk can always be arranged, as it is about a 15 minute walk from any of the tourist sites - but fine for those who like to walk. Not the cheapest place to stay but we felt it was worth every rupee.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Thomas of Kandy Cottage is a wonderful host and cook. The food was superb. The cottage is very comfortable in lush gardens.
The rooms are very comfortable and spacious even though there isn't air conditioning but there's fans.
We would heartily recommend this place as a peaceful place to stay while visiting Kandy.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My friend and I stayed in the Moonlit space for 4 nights. I can't say enough about the hospitality provided by Thomas. The breakfasts were delicious and we had 2 dinners at Kandy Cottage. This was some of the best Sri Lankan curries that we had in Sri Lanka. Wi-fi access was excellent. Our room was very comfortable and clean - but it did get hot and stuffy at night as the floor fan could have done a better job of cooling the room. I really liked that Kandy Cottage is within walking distance of Kandy Lake (and Thomas was kind enough to show us the way and help us get money exchanged). It felt like we were located in the middle of the forest, listening to the birds and watching the monkeys run along the "monkey highway" between the nearby reserve and the city.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Colorado
Reviewed 12 April 2014

The best part of my stay in Kandy Cottage was the detailed and friendly attention given by Thomas, the manager, the homey atmosphere of the living room and dining area, the delicious food and Cookie, the dog. One of the con or down side of Kandy cottage was its location. It is located a long distance from shops, restaurants, sites of interest and is not walker/pedestrian "friendly". The road to the lodge is very narrow and full of pot holes. Also, my room was uncomfortably hot. The small floor fan was not sufficient for cooling my bedroom. The was no ceiling fan.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank JEMAltitude
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 12 April 2014

...but the mattress made it difficult. I don't know who these people are that are giving reviews saying the beds are comfy, but they must sleep on rocks at home!!!

Here are the pros:

-Thomas is a lovely man who was very friendly and welcoming. We enjoyed our conversations with him. He clearly takes pride in what he does. Nothing is too much trouble.

-The place is in a private, quiet setting and you can actually walk to town if you wish

-Cookie the dog was fabulous

-Good wifi

-If you're looking for a homestay atmosphere, this is your place (but we were not looking for that!)

-Lots of hot water and a nice clean bathroom

-Excellent cuppa tea

Cons:

-The bed. Oh my God, the bed. Every time my hubby turned over in the night, it squeaked loudly and we both woke up (and me with earplugs in!) And the mattress was literally 3" thick (I know because I measured it.) The most uncomfortable bed of our entire trip. Pillows were similarly pancake-like. I am utterly baffled by the people who liked the beds!!! We were in the Moonlit room.

-The room. I can deal with no A/C, but I found the room very stuffy and hot because there were no screens on the windows, so they had to stay closed at night. There was no ceiling fan either. There was a very inadequate floor fan but fortunately we were able to borrow a better fan from another room (Thomas kindly got it for us), otherwise I would have suffocated. Fan or not, I found the atmosphere in there oppressive once we were closed in for the night. I was DYING to open a window, because it was cooler outside than in, but I could not due to potential mosquito invasion.

-Privacy is lacking. If you don't care about this, you'll be fine, but I could hear the guests in the next room through the walls (and they weren't being particularly noisy. You could, for example, hear coughing, the hum of conversation and whatever else was going on.) There is quite a gap under the door too. Every time I made a noise in the night, I was worried about disturbing people. The padlock on the door (instead of a proper keyed lock) was a little off-putting as well.

I was relieved we were only there one night because we both slept so poorly. Having read so many glowing reviews, I really wanted to love it more. Alas, I could not.

Room Tip: If you like a 3" mattress, choose the Moonlit room.