“The Elephants are Majestic!”

Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Pinnawala
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I loved seeing the elephants! They are so gentle, and having the opportunity to feed two, you can see their eyes are so gentle and knowing. It's apparent that they are very comfortable with people although you recognise they're still wild animals.

Also, it was really wonderful to watch them enjoy their time in the river! Watching the baby elephants play and dive, swimming around the adults and pulling on their tails, it was like watching children at the park.

The only negative was seeing the chains they use on the animals - but it looks as though overall they're well cared for.

While I didn't buy any, I was actually impressed with the ingenuity of using the elephant dung to make paper :)...

Write a ReviewReviews (3,247)

Reviewed 27 November 2013

It was lovely to see the elephants being cared for, fed, watered and generally enjoying themselves. We then followed them to the river. Whilst we waited, my brother in law was hassled by a "palm reader" who failed to introduce himself as such, then demanded money. A little later, I was asked to come and stroke one of the elephants while it bathed, then charged 4000 rupees (about £20\30 USD) for the privilege of having my picture taken using my camera. My fault, I guess, for going for it. It would be so much easier if there was a sign saying for example, photo with elephant 2000 rupees.

I am getting very bored with "unsolicited service" incidents and people's unwillingness to discuss a price before starting them. I am also finding it hard to remain polite.

1  Thank Piers H
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I visited Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage with my Sri Lankan friends in April,2013.I was astonished to see how well these majestic animals who had been orphaned or abandoned were being looked after in this elephant orphange.It is beautiful to see how these elephants were taken in the procession to the near by river for bathing and how they are fed and looked after with love and care.It is a must visit for the young,old and the children to Man ,Elephant and Nature in perfect harmony.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Great seeing the elephants up close, and i would definitely recommend feeding one of the adult elephants, but be aware of the guys who work there letting you touch the elephants... They will demand money after wards. Just do NOT give them your camera to take a picture of you, some people apparently then have it taken ransom!

Lovely seeing the elephants bathing!

1  Thank Emma M
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Wow - we left our resort at 06.30 in the morning to make sure that we reached the Elephant Orphanage in good time for feeding. It was extremely busy but we were lucky enough that our guide had already pre-booked tickets so we were able to progress straight through (there is also a separate queue to tourists). The baby elephants being fed were very cute and it was also good to see how the centre cares for disabled elephants as well. There was plenty of room for the elephants to roam and they seemed very contented. We got really close to elephants of all ages and got some amazing photos as memories. Mid morning the elephants walk through town to refresh and play in the river (quire surreal) - i think this is the part of the day that the elephants love the most! There are some great viewing spots and the whole experience was well worth the early start.