“Nice quite place”

Ranked #74 of 98 Sigiriya B&B and Inns
Nr. Alslev
“Nice quite place”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I love it there. Nice friendly staff, excellent rice and curry. Place is a Little worn Down but was under renovation when I was there. You feel like you are in the jungle. So if you want atmosphere and can live without a lot of luxury this is the place to go. And Prem the tuktuk driver they called was also an excellent choise.
The location close to Dambulla and Pollonoruwa is perfect.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013

My boyfriend and I have just stayed here for two nights and we are in shock. We decided to stay after reading the Lonely Planet review and seeing it was a top choice.

The place is ok, the food is great but THE STAFF CAN NOT BE TRUSTED AND TOOK THINGS OUT OF MY BAG INCLUDING TRAVELLERS CHEQUES. . .

On the day we were going to leave I checked my travellers cheques were all in the zipped compartment in my bag were I left them, and six $50 dollar notes were missing. My boyfriend then found my batteries were all in the bin still in their packets which makes me think they had been put there to take after we left and my sunglasses weren't in their box which I thought I might have misplaced but turns out they had been put between the mattress and the bed by one of the staff. I cancelled the travellers cheques and we then asked the staff who had been in our room and taken our things. Straight away we were told "you are the only one with a key". We had been out the day before on a safari trip and they must have been through my things then. I explained to them no-one can use the cheques except me and that they were on worldwide alert if someone tried to use them they could be arrested. One of the men came into help us look and found the sunglasses under the mattress - I also wonder if the cheques were stashed in the same place and he knew they were there and didn't say anything at that point. We decided to leave as there wasn't much else we could do and the cheques had been cancelled and were offered a tuk tuk ride to meet our bus. The driver started saying someone had come to fix the air con in the next door room but not in our room and asked for our email address in case they turned up. As we headed into town we bumped into an old man who works at the hotel and he had a phone call to say the cheques had been found "under the bed". This is another lie because we checked under the bed four times and there was nothing there - one of the Sri Lankan men admitted this as well because he checked with us. So i finally got the cheques back. After this fiasco the tuk tuk driver (who is the chef) asked us to pay for the tuk tuk ride which had taken us to the bus stop! We had paid them quite a bit of money during our stay and feel really really let down and upset that we were lied to. None of them said sorry or were apologetic. Just shows that you can't trust anyone.

Another disappointment was the price of the tuk tuk rides. They told us it would be 400 rupees to get to lions rock and back but ended up charging us each way. Our trip by bus from Sigiriya to Nuwara Eliya was only 425 each!

Apart from that the room was ok - a good sized bed with a mosquito net but it was pretty run down. Plugs were broken, the air con was temperamental, the back door to the river was locked shut because the glass at the top was dodgy and the bathroom was filthy with a toilet that wouldn't flush, a shower that trickled, loads of insects and an ant infestation.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jenkaroo

Travellers are raving about these Sigiriya hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Rooms very basic; when I arrived only 2 of my 5 lights were working, asked for this to be fixed and got one more. Shower was worse than useless, asked for this to be fixed and they suggested I use the shower in the staff compound instead of fixing it. Bed was uncomfortable and only just long enough for my less-than-lofty 5 feet and 7 inches.
There basically isn't anyone working front-of-house, and so most of the time I had to talk to the cook if I wanted anything doing as his limited English was the best of the three of them. As a result, customer service wasn't a high scorer.
My breakfast (went for the scrambled eggs) was good and the dinners I had, whilst overpriced, were probably the highlight of my stay - though that isn't saying much. The outdoor, natural setting was very pleasant.There are bugs, so if this is a turn off for you, maybe don't come to the Sri Lankan wilderness?
I chose this place off the back of the Lonely Planet 'top choice' in Sigiriya recommendation but it's anything but the BBQs they highlighted failed to materialises there weren't enough people staying, apparently - poor.
Good for exploring Sigiriya and Dambulla in a day, easily accessed by public bus, just hop on at Dambulla toward Sigiriya and, once you've gone past the sign declaring you're in Sigiriya, it's at the 2Km stone.
I was charged 12,000 rupees (£60/$95) for my two nights with breakfast, dinner and beverages, which isn't great value for this area. They have a tuc tuc at your disposal (when they're around) which charges the same as local rates.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 September 2013

After 17 days of traveling through Sri Lanka we came across a lot of different places. Most were really nice, clean, had great hospitality and good food. Of course we also came across some less satisfying places where thing could be improved, but we don't tend to complain much.

We stayed two nights in Lonely Planet's top choice in Sigiriya: Ancient Villa Hotel.
We left the Hotel being so frustrated that we needed to share this. And by doing this we hope it will not happen to anyone else.

The bbq was recommended, but way overpriced for really bad and overcooked food. And don't take fried eggs for breakfast cause you'll get it almost raw.

We had a really dirty room. Empty toilet roll on the ground, rat sounds, (attacked) dead gecko on the floor, frog in the sink, yellow dirty ground tiles, ants in the bed..shall I go on?

The people supposed to be very nice and helpful, but their english is so bad that is takes ages to explain anything.

And then, on top of all this..the car that was arranged to take us to Kandy smelled real bad, was leaking water when it started raining and broke down just before we arrived in the middle of the traffic and they didn't even apologize and demanded the full price.

We really hope that they will be able to improve the food, hygiene and english so that they're worth being the top choice again.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank MeikeBo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 21 July 2013

This place could be amazing, but isn't.

There are around a down little hexagonal cabanas set in a large garden, and they are quite cute with their own little veranda. The problem is that they are run-down. The bathrooms need fixing up, and they need to be better maintained to avoid damp.

The garden is full of birdlife and I was visited bothy mornings by a little woodpecker. However, the areas where people walk need to tidied up. It just looks so unloved.

Very good curry from the kitchen and huge portions. Also they are very generous with breakfast and give free tea refills.

This place could be phenomenal with just a little investment and enthusiasm - but the feeling you get is that they just don't care enough to bother. Real shame.

Oh, and do Lonely Planet writers actually visit these places. Their write-up is so off-the-mark it's hilarious!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 May 2013 via mobile

Stayed here from 7-8 may 2013. We were the only people around. We stayed in a cabana, which is very basic. The bed is ok, Nice mosquito net. The bathroom, and especially the shower is very old and needs replacement. The owner is Nice and friendly. Food is ok, we had better. When you decide to stay here dont be afraid of frogs, gekko's, ants and a dozen more creatures in your cabana ;) but hey its the jungle!

• Stayed May 2013
Reviewed 18 May 2013

It may be unfair to post this review as it was pouring with rain during our stay, but this was one depressing place.

Our room was away from the main reception/dining area. You will need a torch. Our air con was not working, we only had a little fan. The room, whilst spacious, was damp, and smelt of damp. There was only one light, which meant that once the natural day light faded, we were more or less in darkness. Wifi only worked in the reception area. The location was not great, there was nothing else around, and was a 300Rp tuk tuk to the rock. There were no shops nearby. The guest house is not licensed. Gun shots (to keep the elephants from crops!) and a rave could be heard throughout the night.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple