“The owner tried to hit me” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sandy Cabanas

Sandy Cabanas
Ranked #39 of 96 Tangalle B&B and Inns
Sri lanka
“The owner tried to hit me”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

One piece of advice- just don't go there!
To cut a very long story short- we are three young girls Traveling in Sri Lanka. This was the second night of our stay at this place. We ordered hot water for tea, the water were indeed hot but salty!
My friend and I went to see whether there was a problem, maybe we offended the owner in some way.
At first he completely disregarded us. When I said we'd like to check out the next morning he started cursing me. He got himself really excited over this and got up- and was literally one inch from my nose cursing me.
He raised a hand on me, hit my arm and he's workers that seemed quite accustomed to this type of behavior of his were holding him back. The time was- 10PM and he was forcing us to check out instantly and pay the bill for the whole night. The entire time he was still trying to hit me. We ran and packed our stuff. When we came to leave eight workers were waiting outside our room to make sure we paid. They locked the gate. We had to find a new place to stay in the middle of the night.

Terrible experience, this left a very bad mark on the place for us.
Honestly, I've been traveling in the east for six months now and it's the first time I encountered such behavior.

I hope the police will be wise enough to do something about this before someone gets seriously injured.

Stayed August 2014
11 Thank SPR369

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Sri lanka
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed there for one night and it was perfect, the next night he Suddenly snapped at us, cursing and yelling , trying to hit my friend.
The staff had to hold him and restrain him. He ordered us to leave in the middle of night and forced us to pay for that night. The staff didn't let us go and wouldn't unlock the gate before we paid for the second night. We left in panic and had to look for some other place. We were afraid and horrified!
DO NOT STAY THERE. ITS NOT THE FIRST OR SECOND TIME HE IS VIOLENT TO CUSTOMERS !!
BE WARE ! THE MAN HAS ISSUES.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
12 Thank Ngshvt

Travellers are raving about these Tangalle hotels

ella
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

It was so amazing find this small huts right on the beach .. First our driver bring to another place... But later we found and move next day... It was dream to sleep in cabana withso open.. We even had open air bathroom... Greatest find in srilanka..

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank musbheje
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed at Sandy’s for three nights at the end of April and had a really great time. The room was spacious and clean and had decent mosquito nets. Really reasonable as well (350rs per night for a twin room) and the perfect place to lounge by the beach. The dinner buffet was amazing – some of the best food we had in Sri Lanka, but the breakfast wasn’t great. We went up the beach to another guesthouse for breakfast on two of the mornings for this reason. Staff were nice, the resident tuk tuk driver was great and would definitely recommend!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
New Delhi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

during check-in we were shown a concrete storage room hut in the back away from the beach behind all the cabanas. I told Chaminda this wouldn't do and that we had booked a cabana on the beach.

I calmly explained that we had lived in Asia for years and that I might stay there but we wouldn't pay the same rate. We have visited Sri Lanka 6 times since 2009 and I wasn't prepared for what happened next. If only I had read the other reviews here in Tripadvisor first... The owner started shouting and cursing at me and my wife (in front of our then 6 year-old daughter and other guests!). He threatened to hit me if we didn't leave immediately. We, of course, agreed to leave but he kept after us. I had to call the police from my mobile and only then did his staff step in to try to calm him down. One of them whispered that he has a knife in his pocket and that we should leave ASAP. later the police told me that he is a known local "hot head" and they have been called about him many times. They encouraged us to file a complaint with the Sri Lankan tourism authority.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
11 Thank jksmith34
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

No doubt: The location at Marakolliya Beach is just like a dream! The nice sandy beach with big palmtrees is nice and for us it didn't matter that the current was quiet strong - we just stayed up front and felt like kids playing in the waves!

The room we had including half board service seemed nice and romantic (Little beach cottage thats build from natural materials) but having no windows obviously animals can come in and they did: We had mice/rats in our stuff and well, obviously weren't happy about it!

The dinner buffet was great! The fresh seafood was so good that we ate way too much! The breakfast buffet was alright - nothing special but served western and sri lankan breakfast things!

We had a really unpleasant experience that overshadowed our overall (except the animal thing) experperience. We were sitting in front of the restaurant in the moonshine and all of a sudden heart and saw the owner brutally beating up a homeless dog. We are not exactly dog lovers but no matter that was UNACCEPTABLE. It took a while until a women I n the restaurant sreamed and took the dog away and even the next day the manager did not admit that this behavior might have been wrong...

The cabans and the location are certainty romantic and along with the good food a nice place to relax a few days - but we will also never forget the sound of the screaming, crying dog...

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mareike T
Basel, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

super expensive place (70 euro for one cabana) , unfriendly manager, wi-fi was not working most of the time during our stay, very low quality of food for the price we pay for our H/B, My wife and I asked if they could clean our room a bit but the answer was ( sorry we clean the room only once every 3 days) , we were there for only 3 days so we didn't enjoy this kind of service but we still had to pay 10% service charge and that gave us the feeling of being ripped off, the cabana we had was on the beach but people are advised not to swim because it's very dangerous to swim there.

Room Tip: The cabanas on the beach is very nice but the it's a ripp off