“A nice break away from the beach amidst paddy fields”
Review of Maya

Maya
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Tangalle
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We stayed at Maya for two nights in the first week of January during our ten day holiday in India.
From the moment we entered the property I had a fantastic vibe about Maya. I wanted to immediately settle into one of the hammocks in the lush and expansive garden which had plenty of palm trees and an unobstructed view of paddy fields in the adjoining plot. The beautiful old bungalow that we walked through had a sense of distinct character that was alluring. The pool was much larger than I expected for a villa property.

Our room was well appointed. We especially enjoyed having a little sit out area inside the room itself that brought the outdoors inside.

The dining table and adjoining sofas are where we hung out most of the time. While our girls splashed in the pool, we lost ourselves in our iPads and books, sipping away on wine.

The food was excellent offering both Continental and Sri Lankan choices at every meal. They do both cuisines very well. The staff take a lot of care to set the tables well and make sure that every meal is memorable.

There are plenty of staff members at the property who are not intrusive but always there for whatever you need. They are fluent in English and have a nice warm way in which they interact with you.

I will definitely be coming back again!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed at Maya for two nights in January 2014 and my only complaint was the we had to leave. From the moment we arrived the friendly, thoughtful staff made sure our stay was as relaxing as possible.

The rooms are spacious and private and the hotel grounds are divine. We sat having cocktails watching wild peacock's dance one evening.

The food at Maya is also sensational. As is the service. You will not get better in Sri Lanka!

Although the hotel is a while out of Tangalle (closer to Belliata) you really dont need to leave the picturesque gardens, hammock, villas and pool unless you really want to explore. We chose to use the Villa's bikes and ride through the local village- really enjoyed it. The hotel also arranged a Tuk Tuk to take us to a local beach. It was incredible! We had the beach to ourselves with the exception of a little family run beach restaurant.

A great place for couples, groups of adults or adult families. Although the maya is very children friends (plenty of games and dvds on offer) I probably wouldnt recommend it- parents wont be able to amke the most of how luxurious and relaxing it is!

The hotel is very expensive, particularly by Sri Lankan standards, but I would happily pay that again for our stay. I would highly recommend Maya!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2013

My family and I stayed at Villa Maya in Tangalle in October 2013. I had seen the pictures and thought how nice it looked, but really it wasn’t until we got there after a long drive that the beauty of the place struck me. Not just the setting overlooking paddy fields, the river and wild peacocks, but the charm of the house and rooms itself.

It was stunning, 5 beautiful rooms around this lovely large pool, with plenty of space to have solitude in the garden, reading a book enjoying the breeze in a hammock or lounging in the sun by the pool.
The decor was stunning, you could immediately tell the owner is an interior designer just by admiring how beautifully she has renovated the old house and designed the new rooms, no comfort is left unattended.

All this before I even mention the staff and how beautifully the place is managed.
I travel a great deal with work and for leisure but I can honestly say the service, the food, the charm and hospitality of the staff at Villa Maya rival the best 5 stars hotels I have ever stayed in around the world.

Each night they asked us where we would like our own private table laid, by our room, in the garden, next to the pool, in the house.. the food was exquisite, the service.. I could go on and on
Suffice it to say, I rarely comment on service, ambiance, and decor, but in this case all of that was present, but above all it was the small luxurious details that really make your stay here one truly memorable experience.

I can only say good things about Villa Maya, well done to Nikki Fairchild and her entire team, you are to be congratulated.

Room Tip: we stayed in the old rennovated part, there are 5 iroom in total at Villa maya, 2 are in the old pa...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank BaliandSEAsiafan
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed 6 nights at Maya in October with our 16 months old son. Weather was surprisingly delightful and we hadn't much trouble with mosquitos. We had a very great time.
To take into account we were the only guests of 2 nights out of 6 and there was only one other room occupied during the 4 other nights... Felt like private place !
We spent much of our time wandering around in the lush green garden, constantly refreshed by a delicious breeze. We took most of our meals there and were very happy to do so. The staff was always very kind to prepare fresh tailored delicious little things for our baby.

We liked very much: the friendliness of the young staff, day after day, perfectly matching the serene atmosphere of the place, the care brought to each and every meals and the very dedicated table laying, the garden & the hammocks in the garden, AND THE TERRIFIC fresh passion fruit juice
We liked less: the interminable trip from the airport (more than 5 hours) which will soon be seriously shortened (lucky you !) by the new highways

We would definitely go back when the travel time will be reduced or on a round trip in Sri Lanka

ps: drivers arranged through Maya were always very professional and cautious ! Recommended

Room Tip: We took a room with courtyard (new wing) planning to have dinner in there (while baby sleeping !) bu...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The first time I saw photos of this place in the magazine I knew I was going to visit it... It took 2 years but we made it...
I have to mention that arranging the stay at this place was the best I ever experienced. From the moment I sent email to make reservation I got perfect service. Emails were always promptly answered. In fact they helped me with general questions on Sri Lanka and gave some useful advices for our trip. Perera, the manager helped us a lot!
The Villa self is very nicely restored. We stayed though in the new part and really enjoyed nicely decorated and comfortable room. Villa is next to a small village, surrounded by the beautiful grounds. The views in the garden are so beautiful. Just sit down and enjoy sounds of birds... if this is not enough, there is a beautiful swimming pool... tired of pool... beach is 15 minutes by tuk tuk...
We were not planning to have dinner at villa every night and guess what, after first dinner we decided to stay and eat in every night at villa.... Food here was the best we had during our holidays in Sri Lanka.... so fresh, so delicious... You must try their curries.....
The boys working there are doing a great job! Very service minded, friendly, smiling...
I have a feeling that it won't take another two years to come back to this place.....:)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Arturas
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We were some time ago, but still remember that special dinner and a wonderful day at the hotel. The best, the professionalism of the waiter and get up in the morning in that atmosphere of peace and tranquility.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We loved the 2 nights we spent in this 5 rooms hotel. First, it was in a unique setting, very quiet, in front of a rice paddy. So peaceful ! Moreover, we wera almost alone, only 2 rooms were occupied.
The staff was really, really nice, charming, devoted, and quite. The food was excellent, one of the best meal we found in Sri Lanka (maybe a low level than the Ceylon Tea Trail, which is a Relais & Châteaux).
The room was perfect, in beautiful concrete, very well dseigned, with a beautiful light, we had a room with a small garden, the Khumbuk room : i advise it to you.
The swimming pool was nice too.
You just have to know that is better to have a driver to come here, because it 's a bot far away from everything.

I would come back here if i can ! My best hotel experience in SL with the Ceylon Tea Trails !

Room Tip: Defitly the Khumbuk room or the Thekka if you want to have a view on the rice paddy (but it s less i...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple