“Home away from Home” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Tangalle
Mouille Point, Cape Town
“Home away from Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

The only way to describe this wonderful treasure in Tangalle is "FANTASTIC". The owners and staff are friendly, polite, helpful and efficient making sure your stay is comfortable and pleasant. Rooms are spotlessly clean and well maintained with pride. The garden is beautiful and the sea views are amazing. A short walk takes you to swimming beaches. Tania and I have stayed here on several occasions, twice during 2012 and twice this year in July & August 13. The swimming pool was under construction when we were there, but it must be completed by now and am sure will be enjoyed by all who stay there as it is situated in a perfect spot overlooking the ocean.We plan to visit again next year :)

Room Tip: book in advance as this hotel is popular
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Polish first
Weston-super-Mare
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

I was delighted when I arrived at Nuga Sewana Eden and saw how beautiful the buildings and surroundings are. It's close to a busy road, but up above it so you don't see the traffic, and are only aware of the large lovely garden, and the magnificent views of the beach opposite. I had a single room, which was fairly small but with a normal-size double bed and mosquito net, which I didn't need to use. The bathroom was a clean and modern wet-room, wilth very hot water for showers. There were no drawers or cupboards, which would be a problem had I stayed for a while, but I was only there for 2 nights. The only thing I was unhappy with was the lighting. The bathroom was incredibly bright with 2 high-power lightbulbs, but in the bedroom there were just 2 wall lights with very dingy glass shades and low watt bulbs, so the only way I could see to read a book was to sit on the end of the bed and read by the light coming from the bathroom! I'm nearly 70 so my eyes aren't great, but I do think there should be sufficient lighting for everyone, not just the young and bright-eyed! I have this problem all the time in Sri Lanka, so maybe Sri Lankan people don't like reading!

When I settled in I asked the owner about visiting Mulkirigala rock temples and the Hoomaniya blowhole, and he said he could arrange it for me - for abut Rs3500!! This was my 3rd time in Sri Lanka and I'm well used to using all available public transport, so I knew the cost of a tuktuk to visit these attractions would be far less than that. Earlier reviews saying the arrangements were good value, must have been written by people who haven't been around much!! Sure enough when I went for a walk, I met a friendly tuktuk driver who spoke excellent English, asked his best price for my trip, and he replied Rs1400. Needless to say I said yes at once! Next morning at breakfast, the man who seemed to run everything at the guesthouse, told me his friend could take me on the trip for just Rs1200! I thanked him but said I'd already found a driver. It just shows how much you can save by looking around, and not accepting what you're told by guesthouse and hotel owners. Anyone who falls for their talk is a complete mug!

The only meals I had at Nuga Sewana were two breakfasts. There was a big choice of continental breakfast or cooked foods, but the prices were quite high so I just had the continental breakfast, plus fresh fruit juice and a plate of fruit. To my annoyance, the juice and the fruit each cost Rs350, more than the cost of the continental breakfast! No wonder I didn't have dinner, but went out for a cheap takeaway at a restaurant down the road. Again, inexperienced travellers may well go for the easy option and accept the meals at the prices offered, but people on a budget would do well to look elsewhere. Having said that, I would probably return to Nuga Sewana if I visit the Tangalle area again, as its position and setting are so perfect. I also had the pleasure of seeing two giant squirrels in the garden in the early morning, and was delighted to meet several of my favourite land monitors!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank smallspender
Ettalong Beach, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

We visited Tangalle after only one night in Sri Lanka and after arriving late at night the night before we travelled to Tangalle on transport arranged through NugaSewana Eden. The transport was very good and reasonable compared to other options and our room was very nice as it was elevated and allowed a view to the water across the road. Because it was elevated, we did not see the road between us and the beach.

The staff are very accommodating and helpful, assisting with all our needs and enquiries promptly and politely.

We visited in October which is not the optimal time of year in terms of beach weather. There are some seasonal onshore winds which make it a bit dangerous to swim at this time of year. We learned that November sees a huge improvement from October in terms of beach weather because the seas flatten and the water becomes much more clear.

The room was quite comfortable as we chose an air conditioned room which also gave us the best view. We saw monkeys from our room at times.

The food was quite nice and gave us a good insight to Sri Lankan cuisine.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view and be prepared to pay a bit more for it to get both air-conditioning and...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Keithsutt
Ruislip, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

After a little bit of a difficult stay in Mirissa, I came to Tangalle hoping for a hotel that was clean and comfortable.
Nuga Sewana was the perfect antidote!

I arrived at the hotel and was taken to a lovely hotel with a massive veranda overlooking the view of Tangalle bay. The room had a double and single bed. It was pristine white, and incredibly clean. There was an air conditioning unit, and the television played a range of cable channels. It was incredibly comfortable- and I enjoyed a beautiful sleep on my arrival.

The bathroom was smaller than the room, but was again pristine. The shower is not separated though and so the bathroom is flooded when you do use the shower. I would suggest putting a shower cubicle in or something of the sorts to prevent this.

The activities organised by the hotel are great. They organised a wonderful tour to the Turtle Hatchery in the evening for me. I had a very filling breakfast the day after as well.

The down-sides are already things that the hotel are looking to fix. They are building a swimming pool, eco rooms/huts and a bar. This will make the hotel absolutely wonderful.

Overall- I had a great experience. Wonderful service, wonderful rooms and very relaxed!

Value- 9.6/10
Total Score- 78%
Sri Lankan Hotel Ranking- 6th out of 20

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SBhatt87
Queensland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

Originally we were only going to stay in Nuga Eden for 2 nights but the charming villa, wonderful views and friendly staff made us stayed for 3 nights. The staff and owners were exceptionally helpful and friendly. They went out of their way to make our stay extraordinary and comfortable. The food was delicious home cooked Sri Lankan style. Price was reasonable and the room was clean and spacious. They even clean our room and gave us new linen which is the first in our 3 weeks of holiday in Sri Lanka!

Paradise beach is about 15 minutes walk away and it's the most beautiful beach I've ever been to.

The staff also arranged for us to do a day trip to visit nearby places of interest at a very reasonable price.

Thank you Ganter, Clive and Asad for your hospitality. Nuga Eden is one of the best accommodation we stayed during our holidays. We look forward to returning to see the new additions of your pool and restaurant.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Alleycat789
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

Never knowing what you will find at the end of your long day of travelling, I was immediately recharged when I arrived at this hotel. I immediately fell into the relaxed mode as I heard the waves of the ocean lap up onto the shore. It was dark, but at dawn break, more excitement filled my veins as I inhaled the natural beauty. Perched on a hill opposite the most beautiful beach I have ever seen, this hotel is a wonderful find, with sincere staff and yummy food to boot. Price is more than fair for the lovely accommodations that await you at Nugasewana Eden Hotel. This hotel is a real find. I was in awe when I woke up to a large male peacock strutting across the adjacent roof.The spacious rooms are well appointed with lovely Sri Lankan wooden furniture which adds to the authentic overall experience. Perhaps what stands out the most is the wonderful customer service. The owners really go out of their way to make sure all of your needs are met and that you leave with happy memories...which I did.I would definitely return and stay for longer.

Room Tip: Apt is fabulous value if travelling with a group of people.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two nights (second night tonight) the hotel was a welcomed relief / change from the usual hard beds/thin mattresses we have become accustomed to on this trip...if this hotel is in your price range rest assured you won't be disappointed....lovely stay! Enjoy!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Cliff L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tangalle
Anantara Peace Haven Tangalle Resort
#3 of 15 in Tangalle
Buckingham Place
Buckingham Place
#1 of 1 in Rekawa

Been to Nuga Eden Villa Tangalle? Share your experiences!