“Wish I could stay longer...”
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Russian first
Any
dagmarsed...
Prague, Czech Republic
“Wish I could stay longer...”
Reviewed 1 December 2017 for a stay in November 2017
person found this review helpful

Amazing villa and its surrounding and very nice, professional team to make your stay so memorable. Unfortunately I could spend only 2 days, but hopefully I return some day... Awesome location, views and sunsets on the nearby beaches. The pool is fantastic...wish I could stay longer...The local team is incredible proffesional and friendly. They think on your individual needs before your arrival - really something that you do not face on other places...I do thank you for unforgettable stay...

2 Dec 2017
Thank you so much for your kind review and I am glad that you had such a lovely time. We are lucky with our beaches directly in front of and close to the house and it is great that you were able to explore them although I agree that simply relaxing in the pool can be quite inviting. Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and please come back soon as we'd love to look after you again.
Jack Eden
Jnolan1
Hong Kong, China
“Walatta met all our expectations... and more”
Reviewed 20 July 2017 for a stay in February 2017

Walatta met all our expectations and more. We're a family of 4, 2 boys aged 5 and 7.

The architecture and design of the house was very special with a balanced mix of outdoor and indoor living, and the interiors are super stylish and functional.

The property is walking distance to a very private beach. There are some other holiday villas close by but the beach was not crowded at all. There is a very sweet bar at the beach for a late afternoon drink and fresh mussels.

The walatta staff were great. The food was outstanding. One morning we walked to a nearby beach to watch the fishing boats come in and the house chef (alwis) was down there selecting our fresh fish for the day.

We travelled to nearby beaches for some surfing and adventuring which was all very easy but to be honest we ended up just staying at the villa and enjoying it... our boys still talk about chasing the fireflies at night. We can't recommend it enough if you're wanting a relaxing and grounding holiday.

24 Jul 2017
Dear Jen, Thank you for taking the time to write the review. It is great that 'food to table' is just a few minutes when selecting fish...and I am thrilled that the small beach bar appears to have a 'foodie' in the kitchen also.
It would be our great pleasure to welcome you back and so I hope you will consider Sri Lanka again for your next holiday.
In the meantime many thanks.
best regards
Cuso1960
Oslo, Norway
“Best place to relax and enjoy”
Reviewed 17 July 2017 for a stay in April 2017

We arrived to the house to stay for 4 nights. I wish it would have been longer.

The house is beautiful. The pool inviting and perfect if you like to swim. It is not wide but it is 20 meter long and perfect for some laps.

The crew working there are wonderful. They are very attentive and willing to do whatever it is to make your stay very comfortable.

Short walk down to the beach where you are completely alone Ina nice sandy beach.

The rooms are well kept and comfortable. Beds are great and for extra comfort you have mosquito nets.

You can close the wood doors to have privacy or have them open to have the nice light in the morning

The food made by the house cook is delicious. You can choose the menu and have a wonderful time

We were told to order wine before coming. We got a list. It worked wonderfully.

Enjoy this place in quite and comfort. We did.

21 Jul 2017
Dear Jeff, thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. I am so glad you were able to enjoy the house and surroundings. So happy to that our 'welcome basket' of arranging wine and meals worked well. I really hope we can welcome you back soon.
A TripAdvisor Member
“Amazing, stunning place, beautiful house and the most wonderful staff.”
Reviewed 17 July 2017 for a stay in February 2017

Myself my husband and our 4 year old son stayed for nearly 3 weeks in Walatta House. It is without a doubt the most amazing place we have ever stayed (and we have stayed in some great places around the world). It saddens me to read the previous post that someone wrote so negatively about the place and complain about towels etc.....(the towels are fine by the way!) I think they have missed the point of the place. The house is amazingly well designed. Its simple yet elegant. I can't remember who the architect was but it reminded me of Geoffrey Bawa or Carlo Scarp....Its really amazing to be able to stay in such a great house. The view is stunning, right over the sea. We spent most of our days lounging by the pool or wandering down to the little beach for a swim and sunbath. (again ignore their complaints of how steep it is- yes its abit steep but our 4 year old managed it perfectly well, and if it was built closer to the sea you would loose the amazing views you get from where the house is built). The staff are all fantastic, and they were always professional and always respected your privacy but at the same time would gladly let our son potter about with them and chat away, our son really loved the security guard and would sit and chat to him for ages, he also really loved the gardener who spoke no English but his smile and positivity were infectious and he would show Tommy things in the garden and communicate without either of them able to speak each others language. They were truly wonderful, kind people. Wally the dog wandering about and joining us at the beach was great too...... The food is amazing. Alwys made the best food we had on our entire trip, he would also make less spicy versions of what we had for our son, or something entirely different. The breakfasts were insane! Beyond amazing! Sheehan one of the helpers would climb up the palm trees most days and pick a fresh coconut for our son. I really cannot stress how lovely everyone was and how helpful. I would go back tomorrow if I could.

Dear Nicola
Thank you so so much for taking the time and effort to write this review. We...the villa team and all of us in the office...are really happy to see how much you enjoyed your stay. I will look at the slope to the beach as from what you say that your 4 yr old handled it ok it may be that for senior folk we add a seat half way to ease the strain a bit. It is quite a sight to witness Sheehan shimmy up a tree and I am happy he is so willing to do it. Don't tell 'health and safety!'
Thank you again for your review....please please come back.
722guy
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful time at Walatta House”
Reviewed 17 July 2017 for a stay in March 2017

Lovely holiday villa
We had a lovely stay at Walatta and were looked after really well by the team. The house design is modern with the whole of the front is open facing the pool and ocean. There is an inner courtyard garden with openings to the elements. The bedrooms are comfortable and clean with welcoming air con and the bathrooms are inside outside. There is an inner room with Sat TV to keep the kids happy in the evening whilst we dined on Alwis's cooking.
We went shopping to the fresh markets with Alwis one day which was fun to haggle for fish but it was no means required. On other days all receipts were presented to us in an easy format and we were able to budget.
The beach is accessed down the slope, that might be slippery when wet, and was wonderfully deserted. The sea can be rough and children should not be left out of sight. The pool in the villa has views out to sea.
There is a deck built into the hillside on which we did yoga in the mornings and relaxed on in the afternoons. Wonderful.
In all a lovely holiday...we will be back

Dear Hege and Stefano,
Thank you so much for sparing the time to write this review. I am really delighted to learn that you were able to enjoy your holiday so much.
I'm so pleased you went shopping with Alwis, as you say it is not necessary but it is fun. It's so refreshing to be allowed to pick up a fish, check its gills and smell it for freshness. I'm glad you found haggling fun...I always think we get a better deal if it is done with a smile and surely there is no better way to buy fresh fish.
It is also really encouraging to learn that you used the deck for yoga ... it is a lovely location for it and I hope that you were able to enjoy your practise.
Thank you again and we look forward to your return.
Best wishes
A TripAdvisor Member
“Gorgeous villa”
Reviewed 2 June 2017 for a stay in May 2017

Stayed at Walatta for 2 nights. We thought the design of the villa was unique and beautiful. Located right on a secluded beach. The host has a dog named Wally, she was very charming and fun to hang out with. The staff was genuine and attended to all of our needs/requests - they would even pick fresh coconuts for us from the palm trees whenever we wanted!

7 Jun 2017
Thank you for writing this review. I am glad you liked Wally....she is very charming and not too playful.
Please come back again soon.
daniedieg...
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Nightmare in Paradise”
Reviewed 30 May 2017 for a stay in December 2016
people found this review helpful

My family stayed at the Walatta house for 10 nights between Christmas 2016 and New Years 2017. I suspect the extended duration of our time there only magnified the overwhelming shortcomings of this property. It's such a shame that the house was so grossly neglected. What should have been an idyllic, tranquil stay in paradise was unfortunately a stressful disappointment.

CONS
- "beach access" is a ridiculously steep, unpaved and rocky terrain that is beyond dangerous and treacherous. This is a serious accident just waiting to happen. It was incredibly unsafe even for those that are able bodied and physically fit. There was dew on the grass and on a number of occasions people almost slipped. The very least that needs to happen is for a handrail to be installed.
- Upon arrival the bedding had HUGE holes, towels were rock hard and filthy with stains
- Stained and filthy mosquito nets with dead bugs and dirt caked on the top
- The AC in the Master broke on 3 separate occasions, in 38C (100F) heat. Technicians came out for "repairs" which resulted in many people standing around for hours at a time and nothing being fixed properly
- The house does not have enough electricity (they claim voltage fluctuations in the area) - the power would often and sporadically go out and then a massive generator would turn on. This happened daily and the back bedrooms were affected by the horrendously loud noise. Not to mention the omnipresent smell of diesel. Couldn't be any further from "eco-friendly"
- The back bedroom does not have a fan or functioning AC. There is a gaping hole in the ceiling where the fan should be.
- Broken, leaky toilets and sinks in all bedrooms - our belongings that were stored under the sink were soaked on several occasions
- Broken window on one of the sliding doors. The blinds were again stained, dirty and had dead bugs.
- None of the sliding bedroom doors shut properly - this resulted in a 2-3 inch gap around each door where squirrels (more on this later), spiders and other creepy crawlers would frequently visit
- The bathrooms are open to the elements and this resulted in spiders and bull ants that would cover the entire vanity in the evenings
- There is a squirrel infestation. Each morning they would chew up the pillow cushions in the lounge (holes everywhere) and leave poop droppings all over the couch. The squirrels that also entered the bedrooms would climb onto the bed and poop on the pillows!
- Not enough outdoor furniture for everyone to enjoy the pool together - only 2 sun loungers. No umbrellas in 38 degree heat. We eventually got the staff to rent umbrellas as they said the owner would not buy more lounge chairs (despite this property being positioned to suit more than 6 guests) nor umbrellas to provide shade from the blazing afternoon sun - very hard to believe but the property mgmt team say we are the only guests in 4 years to request this?
- Food was average. Buyer beware, you need to closely itemise daily inventory as you will be overcharged by Alwis. Major trust issues resulted in us joining for the morning market shops.

PROS
- The location is fantastic and the views are breathtaking
- The house staff really deserve a medal for ingenuity. In the face of adversity and with limited (no) resources allocated to them, they tried their best to resolve issues
- Wally the dog is a joy and great fun to play with on the beach

We stay in luxury homes all over the world at least once a year and I have never had such a terrible experience. Eden Villas property management team on the ground (Rohendra) were non existent. We had to escalate our issues to the owner, Jack. At the beginning he was responsive but each reply was geared towards excuses and did not accept any onus. As the issues and days continued, Jack became entirely unresponsive. Pathetic customer service. This is not acceptable when you are charging peak season luxury rates ($8208 for 10 nights).

I would most definitely NOT recommend this property and in the future will never book a villa through Eden Villas Management.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
7 Jun 2017
Dear Daniel
Thank you for your review. Whilst I must confess to finding it a bit harsh as well as a little rude and unfair I do always take constructive feedback positively. We will do our best to ensure that no future guest has a similar experience to you.
Regards
Jack
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing