“"Nice hotel"”

Formosan Naruwan Inn
Ranked #52 of 91 Hotels in Taitung County
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We were there for vacation from Los Angeles. The hotel has very nice facilities although we didn't have time to enjoy much of it because we only get to stayed one night as part of our 8 day Taiwan Tour package. But the kids had fun at the Arcade and swimming and we also enjoyed the hotel night time live band entertainment Thank-you all the band members for a fun and great time singing and dancing with everyone.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank May G

Reviewed 7 February 2012

We stayed there for one night as part of our 8day All Taiwan package. It was a fabulous hotel, big spacious rooms, awesome Hot spring facilities with swimming pools.

We also had dinner at the hotel which was a sumptuous 10-course meal

One downside is it is apparently quite far from the city centre but it didnt matter to us because we were travelling by tour bus.

The rooms were big enough for 3-4 people.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jessica K
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I stayed there for 1 night because I join a tour group and happen to stay there.
Based on the tour guide, it is or was the best hotel in town.
I got a non smoking room but when I entered the room, I only can smell smoke inside.
The decoration and interior was old but luckily clean.
They have wi-fi service only in the lobby and provide shuttle bus to the night market (additional charge) but unfortunately the night market only exist on week end while I went there on week day.
They also have home band for entertainment (all Phillipines girls except the one who play the saxophone)but the singer looks more to a club singer than a family hotel singer.
Over all,it was quite nice to stay there but I will think twice to go back there.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank Berlinda_koe
Reviewed 24 December 2011

We (family of 3 adults) stayed here for one night in December 2011 on a package tour of Taiwan. We had two spacious interconnecting rooms with one bathroom and two flat screen TVs. The hotel has an interesting Taiwanese aboriginal theme and is popular with tour groups, mainly Chinese and Japanese, and it's a bit far from the sights unless you have your own transport. There are some nice views from the higher floors.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Stickman1
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I stayed at the Naruwan hotel as part of a package tour. It's some way out of town, but for basic essentials there's a 7-11 nearby. There are also some stores in the basement but they are definitely not focused on day to day essentials.

My room was very spacious and comfortable - I had a corner room with windows on 2 sides. Breakfast buffet was generous.

There was a show at night, but it was not the indigenous show that is sometimes promoted, rather a Filipino covers band that had apparently been in residence for the last 2 months - I found that a bit disappointing, having seen some great indigenous Amis music earlier in the day.

For me, by far the best feature of the hotel was the Spa - not the "we just bought a massage table and now we're calling ourselves a Spa" kind, but actual hot springs baths and a comprehensive hydrotherapy facility. The change rooms are a bit ordinary, but the baths are fantastic and well worth a try.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank BVC2
Reviewed 15 September 2011

We only spent a night at this hotel and hardly took advantage of anything they offer, so my review would probably not be as comprehensive as it could be.

I read an article of in a Taiwan travel magazine, that the Naruwan was recently awarded a 'five star' category by the respective Taiwan tourism authority and as such became the highest rated hotel in Taitung. Indeed, the hotel is large with a lot of amenities and could qualify for such a rating solely based on that, but there are a few areas where it simply lacks world class, which I normally associate with the 5 star rating.

First, the front desk staff speaks a marginal level of English, and while I don't believe that every hotel professional in the world should speak English, I think at least one of the people behind the check in/out desk in an accomodation that markets itself as a '5 star' should be fairly fluent.
Secondly, the hotel needs to revisit the quality of the food served at its restaurant. Granted, I am not entirely familiar with what is considered 'good' Chinese cuisine, but my husband found a piece of nylon in his squid from the 600NTD buffet (about 25USD pp) and that definitely is not an ingredient that belongs to a 5 star meal.

Outside of that, I liked the room - it was large and clean. Not new, but age hardly showed. The bathroom was fairly large too. Toilet clogged a bit, without causing a major problem.
Wireless internet was free, but awfully slow; LAN was ok though. Free fruit and water provided in the room. Extensive buffet style breakfast included in the room rate of $165 per night. Of course, not so extensive for people which prefer Western cuisine, but you won't starve.

We took a taxi from Taitung airport; the driver named 200NTW as the price for his services. This was a bit much for the 10 min ride, but we didn't have much choice as we cannot speak nor understand a word in Chinese.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Bulgarian_travels
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We were there in June 2011 great hotel especially their night time live band entertainment was fantastic music and singing. We all had a very fun time dancing hope to see them again in November.

• Stayed: June 2011