“Excellent gem of a place”

Kindness Hotel Taitung
Ranked #1 of 91 Hotels in Taitung County
Reviewed 16 March 2013

My fiancee and I were visiting her relatives, and this hotel was recommended by her family. It was a great choice!

At first, the location was not that impressive. I rented hotel's bike (free) and rode about the city. It was easy to get around. Roads are wide and safe unlike Taipei.

Taitung reminds me of Hawaii, weather yes, but no good beach. Follow the mountains if heading north or west, follow the sea if heading south or east.

Taitung is small, clean and beautiful. The hotel emphasizes a lot of food, drink, popcorn and ice cream available anytime.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank DannielNYC

Reviewed 24 August 2012

The Kindness hotel offered very accommodating staff and a clean hotel. Breakfast was delicious, and many varieties were set-out. The rooms were simple but nice, and only the A/C was hard to set due to it only being in Chinese.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank alaskanfootprints
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We went to Hualian and passed Taidong for a night. 康橋大飯店 is quite new and the room is very spaceous. Best of all, it serves all-you-can-eat snake bar, midnight meal and breakfast for free. We arrived quite late (could not arrived by 6pm as advised) but our room was still reserved. After trying popcorn and ice cream, we took shower in the big bathroom which supplies with various kinds of shampoo and soaps. The midnight meal was very attractive and we took several bowls of noodle and meat ball soup. Breakfast was even better with all sorts of Western and Taiwanese food. We then checked out bikes and headed for Forest Park. The condition of bikes were much better than rental bikes and we enjoyed the ride very much.
Overall speaking, this is a high C/P value hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank DamOfMa
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Free pop corn, ice cream and coffee/juices in cafe 24/7. Close to markets, central park, shopping district, transports and mrt. Pretty happy with the place and services.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Alan C
Reviewed 8 December 2011

The Kindness offered a clean (hard) bed and a small room, for a great price, which was fine for my family's needs. We had a double room which easily slept 2 adults and 2 small children. We enjoyed the air hockey table and the 24-hour coffee service. I thought the breakfast buffet offered plentiful and tasty choices, but there was either a true misunderstanding or an attempt to fleece us with the cost. I paid for the breakfasts (included in room price - very reasonable) when we checked in, but we only got one day's worth of tickets. When I asked them the next day for the next day's tickets, they tried to charge me - and not just a little, but NT $8000. I refused to pay that as it seemed too much, plus I had already paid. When my local host talked to them in Chinese the next day, they claimed it was just a misunderstanding and that they never said NT $8000 (even though that's what they typed on the calculator!) Anyway, we didn't end up with the breakfast I paid for on that one day...the other days, we were given our coupons without incident and without additional charges. We did not speak Chinese well enough to make our needs understood, and only one staff member at the Kindness spoke English well enough to truly communicate. Even simple requests like trying to get a taxi to take us to more than one place could not be accomplished. The Kindness was not as central as I had understood, which wasn't the Kindness' fault, but my own. I understood the Naruwan to be a little way out of town, but after visiting there for some shopping, I would definitely consider staying there if it's in your budget. It was not that far away and the staff spoke English well enough to truly communicate. In the end the Kindness was okay, but I would not stay there again unless there were truly no better options.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank TravelingMomfromTX76
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I don't think I would actually call it the 'Kindness Hotel', I was there the latter part of July, 2011. Let me start out by saying it is a nice hotel and I would stay there again but I'm new to this area of Taiwan so not sure what else is available. If I come back to Taitung, I wouldn't mind trying a different hotel. The rooms are clean and probably recently updated and you have a mini-fridge, large TV and free high-speed internet. They also provide a free laundry facility which is nice to have, although it takes about 3 hours to wash and dry a load but that is a minor inconvenience.

The cleaning staff and breakfast area staff were very friendly; the women at the front desk were not - borderline rude. I don't know if they think that they are a big deal or something, or are just racist but it made me want to find another place to stay. I don't expect anyone to kiss up to me but this was way below that. Just checking in soured my mood after dealing with their attitude.

If you ever go to Taichung, stay at the Splendor and see how differently you are treated by the front desk clerks - night and day difference.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank MRErnestTBass
Reviewed 11 April 2011

Traveling with my wife and 7 y.o. kid and stay here for 2 nights.

The room was standard (American hotel) sized, well kept, and clean, but the room decor was a bit odd. The bed was comfortable enough. The shower has nice water pressure for our 7th floor room. There were no personal safe. Functional, old-style (not flat panel) TV with choices of cable TV programs. 2 free bottled water was included. All the daily toiletry items were provided (toothbrush/paste, shaving kit, etc). The instruction sheet in our room said that there was wireless internet access, but my Ipad couldn't locate any network. However, there were plenty of desktop computers in the business center on the 1st floor with free internet access. We also took advantage of the free DIY laundry, but the dryer speed was painfully slow.

The service overall was very good, and the hotel staff were very accommodating. I speak Chinese so communication was not an issue. The biggest negative was perhaps its location, a bit away from the city center. However, Taitung isn't a big city, and the "downtown" can be reached within a healthy (20 min) walking distance. This may not be a huge issue since most visitors to Taitung did not come for its "downtown". Both the train station and airport are also quite a distance away from the city center, so there is no great advantage to stay within downtown, especially you are here to see Taitung's main attractions (hot springs, costal scenics, nature)

Transportation wasn't an issue for us since we had relatives taking us around. But i know the hotel can easily arrange taxi or other form of transpiration for its guests. While Taitung is in a remote part of Taiwan, it is a popular tourist destination for its well-known hot-springs, nature, and costal scenes, so there are definitely plenty of taxi and other transportation options. I was told that this hotel is quite popular with Mainland Chinese tour group, but the hotel wasn't too busy during our stay.

There were plenty of local restaurants nearby, including a fancy looking (by Taitung standard) steak house 5 minute away. A Seven-Eleven like (Family Mart?) convenient store is located next door.

The included daily breakfast was surprisingly good with variety of food item (70% Chinese/Taiwanese and 30% Western-style stuff), including a very good fruit/salad bar (Taitung is famous for its tropical/subtropical fruits). My kid loved the free ice cream she could get anytime at two self-service stations. There is also a free midnight snack (Taiwanese noodle), but we didn't try it.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family