“Photography Heaven!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Finca Los Monos Botanical Garden

Finca Los Monos Botanical Garden
Ranked #1 of 35 things to do in Isla Colon
More attraction details
Owner description: Finca Los Monos (the Monkey Farm) is situated on Isla Colon, the largest island in the enchanting archipelago of Bocas del Toro, , Panama. The islands enjoy a steady temperature of between 80 and 93 degrees (27 C – 33 C) all year round, with adequate rainfall to keep them lush and humid. Over the years we have created a magnificent garden with large collections of heleconias, gingers, palms, flowering trees, fruit trees, spices and ornamentals. New plants are constantly being added to the property.
Turks & Caicos Islands
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Photography Heaven!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2009

This was a real treat - a hidden gem!

I travelled to Panama in January this year with my boyfriend, and we visited Boquete, on the mainland, and also the island of Bocas Whilst in Bocas I heard that there was a botanical garden close by and so decided to pay a visit. Being a keen photographer I was eager to get into the rain-forest to try and take some pictures of the native wildlife and flowers - and I wasn't disappointed!

When we arrived we were met at the gate by Lin who was very enthusiastic and thrilled to show us around. Lin obviously loves these gardens which are her labour of love. Her knowledge and expertise meant that we were well informed about not only the plants and wildlife, but also got some background history of the gardens and their owners too. It was a very informal and relaxed tour, and Lin was very patient when I wanted to stop for photographs, and I got some great shots - the real treat came when a troop of howler monkeys put on a show for us in the tree canopy - complete with mother and baby! I couldn't have been happier!! It was a great way to get off the beaten track and take in some of the natural beauty of Panama with our own personal guide.

One word of advice - wear sensible footwear! Although a great deal of the tour has pathways, at times be prepared to ramble!

2 Thank ProvoPhotoNut

Boston, MA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The rain forest made accessible”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2009

I visited Dave and Lynn at Finca Los Monos together with my girlfriend about a month ago during a Christmas visit to Panama. After traveling the world with backpacks for 16 years this NZ-UK couple decided to settle down on Bocas. On their estate, a few minutes taxi-ride (ask for "Casa Banana" if the driver doesn't know the name "Finca Los Monos") from Bocas town there's a lot of rain forest and Lynn has spent the last few years making the forest accessible.

Lynn will be your guide during your visit and answer any questions you might have about the rain forest, its animals and plants. One thing I really liked was the fact that almost all flowers and plants in the Botanical Garden is collected from the jungle by Lynn herself and presented on one spot. I've been on rain forest tours before, which was great, but you mainly see green forest and not so many flowers and colors. In this park you can see all the colors and shapes of the rain forest at one place.

Don't forget to ask Lynn to tell you some stories from her, to say the least, interesting life as a vagabond.

2 Thank JakobR
United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“A wonderfully easy way to experience the Tropical Rainforest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2008

I have known the owners of Finca Los Monos for many years. However, having just revisited after 3 years, I was amazed at how much they have achieved in such a relatively short period.

The property now benefits from a cabana cabin from where the tour starts and ends (with refreshments, ask for the lemongrass tea!), and now has a superb concrete pathway throughout the gardens making access very easy, without getting covered in mud!

Lin (the owner) has a wealth of knowledge, acquired from various sources over the years, and was always happy to answer questions. She has also done a wonderful job of labelling most palms/plants etc along the pathway during the tour, some with the help of the local Smithsonian Institute.

My favourite moments have always been hearing (and sometimes seeing) the howler monkeys, which at various times are passing throughout the property. The birdlife is also a joy to behold, with parrots, hawks and oropendola throughout the property.

All in all, if you're in Bocas, this is a very easy way to get to see some rainforest and some of it's wonderful wildlife.

To the owners, congratulations, a job Well Done!

1 Thank FrequentFlyerFreddy