“Stay away - overpriced, dirty and unfriendly”

El Limbo on the Sea Hotel
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Isla Colon
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Stay away - overpriced, dirty and unfriendly”
Reviewed 17 April 2007

Just got back from 3 days at the Limbo by the Sea with my wife and 3 year old daughter. From the moment we walked in the door the smell of the place was one of no air circulating and who knows when they last time they cleaned the place. We had the "best" room in the hotel (top floor overlooking the ocean). The bathroom was dirty and the bathtub had ants crawling all over it. The bed covers were dirty and one of the pillows looked strange (dark color through the pillowcase) so my wife pulled it out and it was dark yellow, lumpy and had a blood stain on it to boot. We immediately walked through the town to see if any other hotels available and unfortunately there were none so we were stuck. We also were unable/unwilling to shower in the bathroom (despite the ants) as the water from the sink and shower was yellow and smelled funny. We had to buy jugs of water from the town store to bathe with. The staff at the restaurant, while not even remotely busy, acted as if we were bothering them any time we sat down. Really unfriendly and by our last day we passed on the included breakfast just to eat somewhere else. My wife complained about many of the things and near the end of our trip the concierge told her "all you do is complain, why don't you just leave?" Very professional.... All in all, we literally were counting the minutes until we could leave Bocas del Toro from the moment we got there. Probably the worst hotel (and this for close to $200/night, a fortune in Bocas) and one of the worst vacation experiences of my life. Strongly urge anyone to stay away from this place.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank CRbroker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
california
Reviewed 26 July 2006

We had stayed at the Limbo on previous trip and although, the service at the restaurant was bad, since we like dining by the ocean, we returned for dinner on July 24th. We were a party of 6, my brother and I and 4 guess we have invited to dinner to discuss businesses. The waitress finally took our order, after refusing to explain any item on the menu to any one on our party by simple saying - "It's written on the menu".

We started our order with drinks, following by appetizers, main dish. The appetizers came about half hour after the order was taken. Then about 1 and 1/2 hours later, when the main dish had not been served, I asked the waiter why? She said the kitchen is closed.

I then went to talk to the chef who informed me that the order had not been placed. I told him what had we order and at what time and she replied she was tired for working long hours. The chef took our order and about 1/2 hour later the food was served.

Except for the lobster, which is hard to ruin when cooked steamed, the fish was dried and grease.

Never again we will go to or suggest to any one the Limbo. It is the worst dinning experience I have ever had.

Stayed July 2006
11 Thank zelada

Travellers are raving about these Isla Colon hotels

Panama City
Reviewed 21 February 2006

Recently stayed at the El Limbo Hotel on Isla Colon and I'm still trying decide whether I'd ever go back there. While we liked the physical aspects of the hotel - comfortable room, nice ambiance on the water - the service was AWFUL. From check-in to check-out, the front desk reception workers (two different women) provided begrudging, aloof service and clearly had never been schooled in basic courtesy (like saying thank you, good morning, etc). They tried their best to be unhelpful when we inquired about boat tours, and by the end of our two day stay, we felt more like prisoners than hotel guests. The service in the restaurant was terrible too - however the quality of the food made up for it. All in all, this hotel has serious management problems - all it would take is the owner/manager to train his/her employees in basic customer service. Until they do, I won't return.

• Stayed February 2006
10 Thank GringainPanama
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 2 February 2006

If you can overlook the brown water coming out of the sink and tub/shower, this is a very nice place to stay in town. We had the 2 top rooms over looking the water (kids in one, my wife and I in the other) and the balconies were excellent for sunrise/sunset watching. Yes, one of the days the water came out brown from the plumbing but that was expected (no tap water is safe to drink anywhere in town). The staff are excellent and the day we departed I had accidentally left my baby's medecine in the fridge. The excellent receptionist Ms. Hall was kind enough to retrieve the medecine and send it to me back in Panama City! She even fronted her own money to do so. Another receptionist also helped me out with many phone calls to the airport to retrieve a lost bag from the airlines. Both rooms had a/c, TV, safes, and nice beds. We didn't spend too much time in the rooms as we were constantly out but we were very satisfied with our accomodations. We booked over the internet and got a 10% discount.

• Stayed December 2005
4 Thank extravelagent
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 April 2005

My Dad and I stayed at El Limbo in Bocas. It was pretty good, the staff was nice and polite , although the service is horrible. In the lounge/bar/restraunt area you had to yell at someone for a beer, soda water or even food. The rooms were great, nice view of Solarte and Bastimentos. Oh ya, nobody has any change for $50 much less $100 !! Overall , we did have a great time. I recommend staying there, but keep on them for service if your dining or just having a cocktail.

RJS