“Overall great experience”
Review of Under sea Panama

Under sea Panama
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 15 June 2014

we did the deepboard snorkeling trip. It cost us $49/person for the day. Caught bus in town, headed to dolphin viewing area first. this was ok... you occasionally saw a fin or one pop up, but a bit underwhelming for most of us. then we headed over to sloth island. this could have been boring, but luckily a little guy made his way down to the water right in front of us! that was pretty neat. After, we headed over to Zaptilla (sp?) 2 island for snorkeling and lunch. we tried the deepboarding thing... labeled as a "lazy snorkeling" because you hang on to a fin and are toed behind the boat... it wasn't lazy! it was fun, but you went by the reef so fast you couldn't really see much. but hanging out on the island was great.... you can't beat the beauty of this place, so i rated the experience so high simply because of environment. our main english speaking guide was Moses. He was very friendly and smiled a lot. Lunch was ok... pasta salad and canned beans. so a little low budget. but the freshly cut coconuts were a highlight. we walked around the island to look for critters, but the real experience was being in the amazing water. it was a quick visit and did feel a bit rushed. if i had my choice, i'd ditch the time with the dolphins so you have more time on the island. if you can get to these islands without a tour, you might enjoy it just as much... but overall Undersea did a standard good job for a reasonable price. i'd recommend it.

All reviews
in 10 reviews
"zapatilla"
in 24 reviews

Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Run, don't walk to Undersea Panamá's tour booth near the boat launch and sign up (a day ahead) for their island and snorkeling tour. Not only is the island tour worth the trip, where we were lucky to see dolphins and sloths, the highlight of the tour is the snorkeling. It's a new and very cool, super fun way to snorkel! If you've never "deep boarded" before, then you are in for a treat.

Keep an open mind, but you're dragged behind a boat (like water skiing), except you're skimming the surface of the water and have full control to dive below, corkscrew turn, and/or stay on top of the water. You wear a (provided or your own) snorkel mask and hold on to a specially shaped plexiglass dish tethered to a rope while being dragged through calm, super clear waters. Not only is the undersea view phenomenal in this way, it's such a rush to "fly" through the waters just like our aquatic mammalian cousins!

Moses, our guide and instructor, was so cool, informative, funny, and responsible. After 15 minutes of instruction, you, too, will be ready to "deep board." It lasts for about 20 minutes, so be sure to enjoy every minute of it because you only get to do it once, but you'll want to do it over and over, again.

Tilt right, you go left. Tilt left, you go right. Tilt down, down... up, up. That's it. After reading this, you'll be ahead of the game. The key is to keep your arms fully extended so that your shoulders don't tire out. Relax and let the boat drag you. Enjoy the ride! $49 pp gets you the tour, the activity, lunch/drinks, and "normal" snorkeling around some very abundant aquatic sea life. Afterwards, you can download from their website (www.underseapanama.com) undersea pictures of yourself "flying" through the water.

Do this. You won't be disappointed. (Thanks, "Timothy!" You're the best!! ;-)

1  Thank IslandgirlB
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We took the one with the deep boarding, dolphins, slooths, snorkeling and the visit to Cayo Zapatilla, and it was worth every penny! Yeah, yeah, some people complain about stuff, and they're entitled to their opinion, but they're just too picky (and that's my opinion!)... If anything, I'd complain about being told that we get the underwater pics while booking the tour, and then on site the guide didn't have the camera (but since I read about this happening, I brought my own!).
You'll love zapatilla! and even if I never got to go underwater on the deep boarding because I was too afraid, I can tell you you're gonna love this experience.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

My friend and I booked the day trip to Zapatillas. Ronnie, our guide, was great and we made stops along the way to see dolphins, red frogs and sloths. The other guide in the boat beside us climbed a tree and brought a sloth down to the boats. While is was nice to see a sloth up that close, I could not help but imagine that 'he' must have been very scared. The guide handled him carefully and returned him to his tree but I wish I could read a sloth's mind and know that he didn't care if he was held and displayed for us.

Zapatillas was simply stunning. The snorkelling was almost impossible as the current was so strong it pushed you around the island. We tried at various places but there was not much to see where we could actually snorkel without being swept away. We walked across the island on the path and it was breathtaking. Glorious protected jungle! The water was beautiful and we spent a lot of time sitting in the water (so we didn't end up a mile away). I loved the deepboarding experience but wished I could have gone again that day since snorkelling was not really working. Loved lunch and overall had an amazing day. Wish I could have a picture of me underwater doing the deepboarding....should be a part of every tour!

Because I loved the deepboarding so much and wanted to do it again, I booked another tour the next day (just me). We went to hospital point for a snorkelling/deepboarding trip. I loved the deepboarding once again but wasn't able to see as much as I had the day before...went fairly deep but the water was murky. It was still a great experience but I preferred the Zapatillas area...saw more coral and fish. I wish I had more time for snorkelling on this trip. I was the only one who went out when our group finished deepboarding but we left as soon as the second group finished. A very quick afternoon for the price. The one day Zapatillas tour gives you much more for your money and if I ever went again, I'd stay overnight.

Thanks to Ronnie, Miriam?, Olaf and the lovely woman who booked our first trip and our transport to Costa Rica later in the week (never got her name).

See more reviews
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We came the booth of this company to ask about information of a snorkelling trip, and was told about the day trip to Zapatillas. This would include looking for sloth and dolphins, snorkelling, beach time and trying the "deep boards. Sounded promising so we booked

Zapatillas is postcard beautiful, with lovely white beaches and possibilities to walk across the island at boardwalk/path with beautiful scenery. However as a snorkelling trip, this was rather dissappointing. On arrival the island, the guides were most interested in doing the deep board thing. Fun enough, however a bit of waiting when other guests did it, - our go with the boards were for some 15-20 minutes. Then we had the included lunch (cold pasta, chips and dip, fruit, sodas and beer) organised by the crew of other boat of same company, whereas our crew went out to take other visitors at the islands for deep board trips. Our guide did not offer any guidance for snorkelling. The guide of the other boat from same compay pointed out the direction, but in the strong current we did not feel safe snorkelling there without a boat standby or a snorkelling guide.

As for the wildlife, we saw both dolphins and sloths on our way to the island. And the real upsetting thing was that the guide climbed a tree, grabbed a sloth and took it to the boat. The poor thing kept reaching for something to climb on and looked very desperate. I hope this does not happen to him everyday. We have reported the incident to the company

Zapatillas is a good day out, but if you are 1) interested in snorkelling and/or 2)environmentally concered, better to choose a different company.

1  Thank abcnord