“Our favorite place in Bocastown, for sure!”
Review of Koko Resort

Koko Resort
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Isla Colon
Reno, Nevada
“Our favorite place in Bocastown, for sure!”
Reviewed 14 June 2011

What a great place! I don't know quite how to review KoKo, but suffice to say I love the place! The cabins are perfect- roomy but quaint, with a kitchen, large bathroom and dining area, plus the porch and the dock. I can't say enough good things about the cabins. The ocean breeze is nice, although on a still, hot afternoon, the cabin can get warm; thank goodness for A/C (my one minor complaint- the A/C is slightly underpowered and the large bed is upstairs in the hotter part of the cabin). Jack's breakfasts are great, and he doesn't mind getting up a bit early if you're flying out on the 8am plane. The price isn't the lowest around, but it's worth the slight splurge and still cheaper than a lot of vacation stays. Don't miss staying here if you're coming to Bocastown!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Culpeper, Virginia
Reviewed 12 June 2011

We recently made our first trip to Panama and stayed at KoKo Resort in Bocas Town. We caught a hop on Nature Air from San Jose, Costa Rica to Bocas de Toro for four days, and it ended up being a highlight of our trip.

We stayed in the Starfish cabin, and never really wanted to leave! The cabin was bright, clean, and a little rustic - perfect. There was a daybed downstairs which was perfect for afternoon naps. The deck on the water was great, and every single window from upstairs and down could be opened wide for great breezes and views. Jack and Leigh were excellent hosts - they shared tales about life in Bocas, made delicious breakfasts, and made good recommendations for sights to see, places to visit , restaurants, and helpful local travel advice.

KoKo Resort is not really a "resort" - it's set in a quiet 'hood outside of town, and the local neighbors and kids run around, cook, play music (sometimes loud), and live life. We actually enjoyed this, and found the neighbors to be friendly and willing to help with our poor Spanish.

We read the recommendation posted on KoKo's website before we booked about what kind of traveler might and might not enjoy KoKo Resort, and felt it was a great guideline. If you're expecting a manicured resort, A/C, and a high line place, KoKo isn't for you. But if you want a laid back place in a chill Caribbean town with fun, friendly hosts, and like interesting local places in a town that's a little crusty around the edges, this place is it. We felt safe, breakfasts were delicious, and we will definitely go back again!

Room Tip: Email ahead of stay.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 8 May 2011

Friends and I stayed at Koko Resort for several days in April, and had a great experience. We stayed in the Island Suite, which was quite comfortable. The location was great (within walking distance of town but not right in the center of hubbub). Jack and Lee were fantastic hosts-- they provided delicious breakfasts, laundry and fresh beach towels, and lots and lots of help with arrangements for outings, as well as advice about where to go and what to do. I would highly recommend staying with them if you're headed to Bocas!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Stephenville, Texas
Reviewed 6 May 2011

I'm checking this out for my business, Going Native Adventures. Jack and Lee are very nice people, extremely accomodating, provide excellent breakfast and are helpful to the max. Our rooms...Island Suite... was remniscent of a 40's or 50's Louisiana Bayou House or an older New Orleans French Quarter apartment. It was comfortable with a/c and plenty of hot water. The water is fine for bathing but not suitable for drinking.The bay shore was sort of visible under the trees on the other side of the sidewalk in front of our building but overpowered by the neighbor blowing an airhorn for celebration of the Bocas baseball game plays. The neighborhood is squalid but in honesty, Jack and Lee emphasize the "local" surroundings situation to prospective guests. It's hard to imagine unless third world conditions are part of your norm. I live in Costa Rica and even though I find lower income Latins to be nonchalant where trash and sanitation are concerned, this was a bit much. You can't throw a diamond in a pigsty and expect much admiration from casual observers. The bed was fine. Lee did our laundry. Without the noisy neighbors the sleep quality would have been excellent. The food (breakfast only) was admirable. Jack is a cut-up and Lee is as sweet as they come. I personally liked the experience. If Bocas was that appealing to me, I might stay here again. For my clients, I'd have to suggest other options, unfortunately. I visted several hotels along the bay on the shore behind us that were better options for most travelers. I must admit that for me, it was a pleasant, if different, experience. I hate not being able to say more of a positive nature based upon the efforts of Jack and Lee and the time and money they have apparently spent trying to provide worthwhile lodgings for their guests. I think that for those who are prepared to accept the conditions of the neighborhood, this is an interesting experience in third world culture.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank bobinman1
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 25 April 2011

My friend and I spent 3 nights at Koko Resort. We loved our cabin, which was comfortable, had a refrigerator, and AC. The owners are really helpful. Breakfast was great. It was good to be away from the noise of the town. Loved hanging out on the dock to see the sunset.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 20 April 2011

We had the pleisure to stay in one of the waterfront cabins from the 4th to the 8th of April. Confortable and cute! It is true though that the first night we did not sleep much because of the wind and the sound of the waves (just not used to it) but I will certainly not say that it was a problem... we adapted ourselves in no time and have greatly appreciated every minute of our exeperience there. The location is great, the breakfast is good (fun to see Jack preparing it for the guests). Jack and Lee are very helpful and friendly. Thank you!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Escazu, Costa Rica
Reviewed 29 March 2011

Well i want say i had very nice time there , i loved the cute cabins and the View , I have 18 years in turist because is my work and is very nice found place like it , exist many place very nice is true with expensive things and luxury , but i like humble and freindly place to stay , Jack and Lee was , and the friendly neighbors around they are very humble people , cute kids run around playing , I will back i m sure , Thanks for my wonderful breakfast and your atention with me and my husband regards . Yorleny :)

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Punta Caracol Acqua Lodge
Punta Caracol Acqua Lodge
#4 of 20 in Isla Colon
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & S...
#1 of 3 in Isla Bastimentos

Been to Koko Resort? Share your experiences!