“Koko Resort is priced right but needs a little paint”
Review of Koko Resort

Koko Resort
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Isla Colon
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Koko Resort, Bocas del Toro, Panama

This is my second trip to Bocas del Toro and my first visit to Koko Resort. The town has matured and grown since my previous trip over 10 years ago. It has definitely been discovered. It was teeming with young people with surf boards and Rastafarian hairstyles. It added to the charm.

Koko Resort is a good 15 minute walk from the center of activity but this is good because it is quiet, is on and over the water and laid back with an exclamation point. Facing West/Northwest the sunsets are beautiful and there always seem to be a cooling breeze under the large back deck. At night, the gentle lapping of the water underneath the cabin adds to the night sounds.

Koko Resort however is in need of repair. Apparently, the dock system and a neighboring cabin were destroyed in a storm so the photo used by the resort is definitely misleading. It is a little more rustic than I imagined for the price. Our hosts were friendly but through no fault of their own, the island lost electricity and water on the second day. Breakfast without coffee and a toilet without water made my wife inquire if there was another option. However, breakfast was as advertised…delicious and huge. One thing to remember is never drink the water unless it is bottled.

I always ask myself whether I would return to wherever I have stayed and the answer is qualified: Bocas Del Toro is friendlier than my first visit now that they appreciate the value of a tourist dollar but we would look for another option of places to stay. With that said, the island does not offer many upgrades but from the building that is going on, it will for a price.

We enjoyed a sumptuous lunch at the El Pecado in the center of town across from the bakery. The chef knew what he/she was doing. I had Mahi Mahi in a sauce flavored by basil. What were truly extraordinary were the roasted potatoes. I asked for the recipe but was politely but firmly refused. One of our party had pizza and it was quite good.

Room Tip: Jacl and Lee are very accomodating. Our cabin slept 7 comfortably and the view was excellent
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank kbincostarica
bosstone, Owner at Koko Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2012

This review is a little strange to us. We are not sure what dock or house they are talking about that fell into the water? Or how the photos are misleading? KoKo gets painted every year but being built over the ocean the weather and salt does do a number on the paint sometimes. I cabins are updated and improved on a regular basis and this is the first time we have heard this kind of complaint.

As it says on our website if you come to Bocas Del Toro know that the electricity goes out on the entire island sometimes. When the electricity goes out so does the water because water pumps do not work without electricity. If this is a problem I strongly suggest not coming to Bocas Del Toro or any developing island in this part of the world because those things are a fact of life here.

Reviewed 27 December 2011

Koko Resort is a series of about six cabins linked by a common dock to the shore. Bahia del sol, where the owners live and where you take breakfast, is an affiliated b&b two doors down. You can't beat the serenity of sitting in a hammock m your own deck while the sun sets over the bay. The cabins are simple but fully functional and clean, with simple kitchens that served us well. Being a short bike ride from town is a blessing, even if it means biking in the frequent rain, because the town is a bit scruffy and loud (think college party village). Lee and Jack are great hosts, very helpful with making arrangements for activities and transportation. Only drawbacks: the immediate surroundings aren't that clean (litter washing up on shore that no one bothers to pick up), no wifi in the cabins (but seriously, put the iphone down), and if the locals feel like partying late one night, you can't exactly call the front desk to complain.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Our stay at Koko was a great experience over the holiday weekend. Upon arrival we were immediately greeted by Lee who was very friendly and helpful in terms of activities. Jack was equally helpful and entertaining as he cooked up a solid breakfast every morning.

The bungalows are located 1 km west of the town center. While this may be a turn-off for some, it was appealing to us since we would have a beachfront location. The are is a residential neighborhood that adds more of a true Panamanian feel to the vacation although it also includes trash on the sidewalks and worst of all noise. A wood mill is located right next to the bungalows and the local neighbors have dogs that bark and make noise throughout the night. Even worse, there is a local bar that played music from sunset to sunrise on Christmas Eve.

Noise aside, Koko is a truly great and special location. The uniqueness of having a private bungalow on the water is so unique and the lovely hosts will make your stay a truly memorable experience.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Koko resort is rustic, homey, serene, and just an absolutely lovely experience. My friends and I occupied the 2 back cabins and had a great time. Jack and Lee are wonderful hosts -- they cooked a delicious breakfast, had great suggestions on what to do and where to go, set up transportation for us, picked us up from the airport... we couldn't have asked for more. The cabins were huge, clean, and well-equipped. The wifi was a little honky and the water pressure / hot water was lacking, but we had hammocks on the porches and nothing beats watching the sunset with your friends at the end of the dock. I felt safe and well-taken care of here and if my travels ever bring me back to Bocas del Toro, I would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: You pay more the closer you are to an unobstructed view of the water. We personally paid for the ch...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 December 2011

I stayed 4 nights at Koko Resort recently. Jack and Lee treat you like family. I stayed in the Dolphin Cabin, which is on the rear right hand side on the dock. Jack and Lee had great advice to offer upon check in about fair taxi prices around town, restaurants and ideas for day trips.
Breakfast is offered from 7am - 11am every morning, cooked by Jack - They were all fantastic, cooked fresh and never the same thing twice.
I did two day trips and one 2 hour trip recommended by Jack - a caving tour, snorkelling and trip to Zappatieus and a trip to a private botanical garden. All of these trips were reasonably priced and well organised. If you have something in mind that you want to visit, let Jack know and he will willingly assist you in planning / arranging it.
It was also fabulous to spend a morning in the hammock outside the cabin, listening to the sound of the water underneath and watching the world go by.
I would recommend koko resort to anyone travelling to Bocas.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Katrina T
Reviewed 3 December 2011

We only stayed 3 nights and then we went to Costa Rica. The cabin was very clean and we loved sitting out on the deck at night. Jack is tops when it comes to customer service! He really takes care of his customers whether it's calling a cab or giving advice on how much you should pay for services, for example the water taxi.Jack seems to really enjoy making breakfast for his customers. It's a nice setting and you can't beat a homemade breakfast.

We spent a lot of time walking the streets and just taking in the surroundings. While we were disappointed how dirty Bocus Del Toro is, we always felt safe there. One night we just walked around the city. People just seemed to be sitting out enjoying the weather.

Below I am only giving the location a 3 due to how dirty we thought the surrounding area was. To be fair, Jack's property was very clean but in general, the island is dirty.

I would not hesitate to go here again.

Room Tip: I don't think you can really get a bad room here. All of the cabins appeared to be the same but...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BradS462
Reviewed 25 November 2011

Stayed 4 nights at koko resort. We had an amazing time. We stayed in the palm cabina on the dock. Jack and his wife treats you like familiy. Jack's breakfast i excellent never the same one. They are also great at giving advice in what aktivities you can do on and off the island. Best places to eat el pescado (great fish in curry coco) and gringos ( if one likes mexicansk food). For diving go to la buga!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
#2 of 3 in Isla Bastimentos
Punta Caracol Acqua Lodge
Punta Caracol Acqua Lodge
#5 of 20 in Isla Colon

Been to Koko Resort? Share your experiences!