“Perfect Retreat! ”

and 1 more site!
Monkey Tree Casitas
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

Where to begin!!! We booked this after reading the numerous excellent reviews. We were not disappointed. The setting was like something out of a film. Set back from the beach in a rainforest, you are in the middle of wildlife heaven.
The casita was spacious & clean & well equipped. We cooked most of our meals whilst staying on Boca. We also found the supermarket to be reasonably priced.
Staying out of town wasn't a problem. In fact it was probably better as town was a little dirty & a little smelly. Taxis were inexpensive.
By far one of the nicest places we have ever stayed. Perfect for couples or those who want to seriously relax! Highly recommended!

Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Hayley C

Reviewed 20 July 2013

Monkey Tree was a very memorable space for us in Panama. Two miniature, outdoor houses owned by an excellent, experienced Canadian lady, who continues to inspire me. She is a hard-working, well-connected host that handles clients on a personalized basis. Everything about Monkey Tree is well-thought out. Very clean. Privately amongst nature. Quiet. Lighting and decor are awesome. Hammock outdoors, but enclosed bedroom. Fully furnished kitchen. Rent-able bikes!

One story must not go untold. Unfortunately, while cooking one evening in our host at Monkey Tree, I had unintentionally and completely broke the protective glass over the stove. (We are not accustomed to this set up in the U.S., and I carelessly left the glass cover over the gas burners of the stove after turning the heat up.) Long story short, this large piece of glass shattered all over the kitchen. We shamefully contacted the owner mentioned above, and without hesitation, she forgave my carelessness with no repercussions whatsoever.

You cannot go wrong with Monkey Tree. I would highly recommend it to my friends and family visiting Bocas.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Laagan85
Reviewed 10 April 2013

We stayed here last month for 4 nights, it's 5 mins in a taxi from town and the location is the best thing about it. Bocas is an ok place, doesn't have much of a vibe to it if I'm honest, from reviews I was expecting something like Ton Sai in Koh Phi Phi but it just seemed like a transit town, food was ok, nightlife was ok, no real beach...alot of tour agencies and not much else...basically somewhere to use as a base to go to other places. That's why I loved Monkey Tree, it's set in lush jungle surroundings away from the town near a beautiful beach and a surf club, Ivan is a very reliable taxi driver (use the mobile phone that Heather provides you with). The Casitas are comfy, the outdoor kitchen was great but I didn't use it to much. I looked at a few other hotels in town and they were nowhere near as nice or well situated (no matter how well they photoshop the pics on their websites most were just ok, a bit worn and dated!) we walked out feeling smug with our choice of accommodation! Heather has done a great job so reward her effort by staying a while! Don't pay more than $5 per person for the taxi at the airport, they tell you monkey tree is way out of town, the roads so bad you need a 4x4 etc..rubbish. It's a scam, we paid less than they wanted but more than it should have been. When you are in the taxi it's the big wooden double doors just before the beach road, if you have hit the beach you've gone a tiny bit to far! Enjoy!

Ps. I'm a bug magnet...surprisingly I didn't get one bite at Monkey Tree!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank LondonCouple01
HeatherG97, Owner at Monkey Tree Casitas, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Unfortunately sometimes we must ask guests to find other accommodations to ensure the comfort and safety of our other guests that wish to enjoy their time with us. This may result in fabricated comments from these guests which we have no control over.

Reviewed 24 March 2013

We just loved our time at Monkey Tree but it is not for everybody. The owner doesn't live there and the caretakers speak no English, so there you are. But if you are even mildly self-sufficient you will really like it here in this manicured-jungle setting. We both speak some Spanish. For about $85 you get a whole house, with veranda, kitchen, bedroom, big bathroom, and laundry facilities on the premises. Every morning early, I would wander around the compound bird watching. Parrots, hawks, hummingbirds, etc.
There is a small beach right across the road and we swam there all the time. You can also go up to the hostel, pay $5 and use their facilities which includes a pool with chairs, restaurant, and the dock where you can swim or kayak from.
The downside at MTC is they never changed our sheets or towels, nor took out our garbage during our 5 night stay. They said after 3 nights, but...
Our kitchen ran out of gas and the caretaker was replacing the tank in less than 2 hours, which was impressive!
Right next door to MTC is Gargolo's Pizza which is wood fired and very good. (Review in restaurants)

Room Tip: Casita 1 has the kitchen inside, casita 2 it's on the veranda.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank treeshaker
Reviewed 16 February 2013

This place is awesome! Love the casitas situated in the forest. Very quiet and peaceful. Heather is very kind and accomodating. The place is out of a fantasy book. The casitas are clean and fun to hang out in! At night, the sounds are very pleasant and you can connect with nature.

Room Tip: Any of the three rooms will be great.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JTNM
Reviewed 12 February 2013

As you open the large heavy gate at the entrance to the MonkeyTree, you face what one could call Paradise. You wander down a pebbled pathway - and through the glorious hibiscus shrubs and Bird of Paradise plants you see the casitas. These casitas were fabulous! They were spacious, extremely clean and had everything you need for a very relaxing yet luxerious experience. We loved it! Spending our days wandering the Caribbean beaches or visiting the town of |bocas - there was so much to do.We would highly recomment renting quads from town and touring the island on your own and also just relaxing in the rainforest at the casitas. The multitude of birds was magical - and as promised the monkeys came. Heather was an excellent hostess. She was a wealth of information and was a pleasure to spend time with.
We highly recomment the MonekyTree Casitas. It is an experience you will never forget.
We cant wait to go back!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Valerie L
HeatherG97, Owner at Monkey Tree Casitas, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2013

I thank you for your perceptions and will take everything that you have said in consideration to improve my operation in the future.
I apologized sincerely for the fact that the housekeepers did not show up that day. It is the first time they have made that mistake.
I provide a telephone for each house with which guests can call me in English is they do not speak Spanish. I wish you would have called me, I could have interpreted for you or answered any questions you may have had.
Guests are instructed to take their own garbage out to the garbage cans. The garbage instructions appear on the information for guests sheet that I send all of my guests, and inside each house on a laminated card.
I thank you for coming, and am very pleased that you loved the place even though there were a couple of criticisms.

Reviewed 22 January 2013 via mobile

The Monkey Tree is a small accommodation for the person who wants to be close to town but not in it, close to the seaside but not on it and all the amenities of home

Heather (the owner) is a wonderful hostess who makes sure your stay is everything you hoped for. The grounds are kept beautifully by an on the property grounds keeper. He does an excellent job and ensures you always have that jungle feel.

The casitas are built on stilts with kitchenettes and full bath facilities. There are three on the property to maintain the tranquility we were looking for.

Town is five minutes away by a $3 taxi ride. Just stop at the front gate, put your hand out and climb in. Just that easy. We love it. Did I say we want to stay forever!?

Wildlife abounds and if you're up early enough, you'll hear the howler monkeys and parrots chirping. Watch closely though!

• Stayed: January 2013
#3 of 6 in Bluff Beach
Palmar Beach Lodge
Palmar Beach Lodge
#2 of 20 in Isla Bastimentos

Been to Monkey Tree Casitas? Share your experiences!