“awkward”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bocas Town
Casa Verde Hostel & Guesthouse
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

From the minute I arrived (literally) the staff were constantly trying to sell me cocaine. The hostel smelled like urine and we were still contemplating staying because were far from fussy. We were pressured into staying and refused the chance to decide if we wanted to stay and told to make a decision to leave so we left and found aqua lounge which worked out great!

Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Josey H

Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

As much as this place has its positives, the negatives outweigh it.
On a positive note, the location can't be beat. For the cheap price, you are on waterfront property with jetties to jump into the water and hammocks on the waterfront to chill out during the day.

At night, there are cheap options for food from the hostel bar and cheap margaritas.
The rooms are a little cramped, but its a hostel so I didn't expect to much. The rooms have fridges and A/C, also there are box lockers beside each bed too.

The staff where quite friendly and helpful which was nice. People in reception were an absolute delight to deal with and the women in the bar were attentive, friendly and gave the bar an excellent vibe.

That's where the positives end.

It seems that the owner is from the United States so has a local manager. This isn't working in his favor. The manager basically allows the staff and their friends and family to just stay there and party all day and night. You get harrassed all day to take boat rides and to buy tours from them, despite saying no repeatedly.

I was staying in the dorm that was right behind the reception. Which would be fine EXCEPT the friends and family of the staff use this as social club and talk and sing and yell from early in the morning. Don't expect a sleep in here.

Another huge problem is that there is no guests only private area to hangout. You can't escape the hawkers. The only WiFi area is the public bar which during the day is fine but at night time...oh my god...

...The only comfortable place to swing in hammocks and hang your feet in the water is converted into a "DJ booth". Now this dj is NOT good. Playing a mix of Latin, reggaeton, classic hits, modern clubbing beats etc which fine. The problem is, he plays 30secs of each song then has a selection of 5 horrible sound effects that pierce your eardrums. Sometimes he presses the same button over and over again. It is not relaxing. It's stressful. It's also is in the only lounging area in the hostel. I had a situation where I urgently neede to Skype a family member but they couldn't hear a word I said due to the music.

Casa Verde has potential to be an excellent hostel. It just needs minor tweaking. In its current form, unless you want to party absolutely every night and don't mind being harrassed by staff members family and friends, its fine. If you don't want those things, there are other hostels in town.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Ben L
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I stayed here one night and moved. It is really small and cramped and crowded. There is never enough seats for everyone outside in the common area, you can go swimming off the deck but then I realised all shower water etc goes into the water close to where you swim. It's hard to order any food or drinks when getting the staffs attention. The most annoying thing was the guy who thinks he is a dj who really isn't and puts blaring loud crappy music on all day so loud that you can't talk to anyone or even think, and there is no escape because the place is too small. If you stay in the dorm all the furniture and bunks are pretty much vibrating from the really bad music, and when I say bad I mean bad.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We booked our stay with casa verde via email and we were quite impressed with the speed of email response and quality of communication. We had utmost confidence we would enjoy our stay. When we checked in the staff were receptive, but gave a decent tour. The facilities however quickly went from poor to dismal. It's our best guess this place has recently seen a change in ownership, but I feel it's my duty to report the dismal state this hostel was in. The facilities were filthy and the collection of characters that pass the day sitting at the bar were more than worrisome. Your hostel is generally a safe place free from hustlers and ambitious men trying to get some attention, this place was the opposite. From morning to sunset the crown is animated and off putting. We were hassled by people who didn't even work at the hostel to buy tours in most common areas. The straw that broke the camels back however were the cockroaches. An assortment of sizes they had happily nestled themselves in every crevice of our belongings in less than three hours. We weren't even staying in one of the doomed rooms off the kitchen. The bunk beds were more like a coffin so close together and to the ceiling. We spent one night and were effortlessly returned our second night's fee less 20% when we prematurely checked out the next morning. I wouldn't recommend this hostel to an nemesis. I also want to mention we are two very experienced travelers having had backpacked throughout The world in a variety of hostels all far from luxurious, but we appreciate the concept of base necessities and decent accommodation, and this just ain't it. We won't be all negative, the island is beautiful, nightlife entertaining, very safe, and tours are offered in a colorful variety.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Upon arrival to the Hostel, room was not ready and it was hectic. Staff extremely unhelpful and lets not mention they are constantly fighting. Once I finally got my room I had 6 "tour guides" trying to sell me their trips, later I realized these guys sold tours to some friends we met and it was by far the worst experience they had. Friday Night seemed to be a family get together for the staff as they were all drinking and yelling at each other before they went out. If you dont mind listening to staff complaining 24/7, feeling extremely uncomfortable and realizing that you will not sleep, Casa Verde is your place.

Pros:
Water front. fridge

Cons:
Fighting Staff
Drinking Staff
Roaches
Unsafe
Bad Food

Room Tip: Don't stay at Casa Verde