“Excellent service and comfort”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Palma Royale

Hotel Palma Royale
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Bocas Town
Charleston, South Carolina
“Excellent service and comfort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

My friend and I stayed at the Palma Royale for a 4 day/night period (their off-season) in mid-May 2012. We arrived very late in the night due to a crazy bus ride from Santa Catalina, but were happy to find the hotel had 24-hour front desk service. The staff all spoke passable English and were very helpful throughout our stay. We were placed in a two bedroom on the 2nd floor (202). The beds/bedrooms are large and comfortable, and nicer/newer than anyplace I've stayed in the states. There was fresh ground Panamanian coffee (VERY good) and a nice TV that we only turned on briefly once.

Outside the room we had a extremely pleasant experience with the manager Melissa, who helped us plan/book our outings for our stay in Bocas. The staff really went above and beyond to help us enjoy our time on the islands. The included breakfast was also more than expected, with a choice of omelets/french toast/etc and of course that great Panamian coffee.

Start to finish we were delighted with our stay. Highly recommend to anyone heading to Bocas!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Nashville, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

I stayed here end of May 2012 and it was GREAT. Staff was wonderfully accomodating. Carmen at the front desk was so sweet and helpful with making suggestions for me. She warned me of places not to go (Careneros and Wizard Beach) since I was a solo traveler. (Fine to go there if in group though). I felt very safe there. I had a junior suite and I believe all of those are only on the first floor. I did have the one near the back (ice machine and housecleaning area) and while there was a little bit of noise in the morning, it wasn't anything bad or annoying. The hotel has a very good happy hour and nice outside seating area. There is a really cute gourmet deli next door, where you can buy beers and wine and food items for your room. There is also great organic Bocas chocolate there too.

Access to water taxi station is prime!!! Right across from the hotel. Laundry loads are $5, if you need to wash clothes. Walking around in Bocas Town was very safe and I was alone on my whole trip. Taxi ride to and from the airport is $1. Hotel provides beach towels (which I didn't learn about until the end of my stay unfortunately), shampoo/conditioner, body lotion. Not sure, but I don't think they had hair dryers unless they were at the front desk and you had to ask for them. Plenty of power outlets in the room. Air conditioning and hot water were plentiful. Small refrigerator and safe provided in room, as well. Coffee beans and grinder / coffee maker in each room. Nice little garden patio but it didn't have a view, being on the first floor (but that was ok as everything else in Bocas gave me plenty of great views and wasn't in the room enough for it to really matter). Breakfast menu was great. Freshly squeezed OJ each morning, too. I had heard their fruit smoothies were excellent and I now regret never having ordered one! :( Overall it was a GREAT choice and I would go back and stay there again!

Oh, and staff has been very accomodating even after the fact. I met a couple there that I wanted to get in touch with about something I had been discussing with them the night before I left...but then it got cut short and I never saw the couple again before I left Bocas. Well, I emailed the staff for them to relay the message to the couple and they did so promptly. Very much appreciated!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012

This is the hotel where my friend and I have stayed during our last trip to Bocas. The room was great, with high end finishes and great bathroom with spa like feel. The hotel offers great free breakfast and smoothies which were making my day :). The staff is very friendly and they have organized all our excursions, which were a total blast. Horse riding in the morning, secluded beach in the afternoon and romantic water taxi ride to dinner on the neighbouring island. Amazing hotel, amazing place and one of my best vacations. Melissa and team, thank you for the great time. Highly recommended :)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012

Melissa and ALL of the staff was overwhelmingly excellent. They were instrumental in helping up find great tours, wonderful services, and the hotel itself was nice, clean, and relaxing. The fruit shakes are to die for, and the breakfast is really de-lish!! I came with my partner who is from Europe in January, and they ensured that we were treated beyond belief. To be very honest, both of us have found very few hotels around the world, that made us feel as nice and comforted as Hotel Palma Royale. Its also very close to other islands; the staff recommended Bibi's on an island next door for dinner, and this food was also to die for. Thank you for EVERYTHING your hotel offered to us. We will definitely be staying here again.

Room Tip: Book early so you ensure you get to stay here....
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

Clean, comfortable, nice furnishings, nice patio off room. The staff were eager to please and accomodating. Great location. Great cafe.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank KennO555
Panama City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

We two girlfriends booked a suite on the third floor of this new hotel in Bocas del Toro. The amenities are nice, decor very smart and well thought out. The beds were very comfortable and the view spectacular. We felt very private and heard no one in other rooms. The included breakfast was ample and tasty, served in the streetside cafe. This small hotel is more exclusive than most others in Bocas, but for a special time, it is well worth the money spent

There were coffee beans, a grinder and coffee maker in the room, and a small refrigerator (which was too small for the gallon of water we bought). Ice is available at the cafe downstairs. The hotel has an elevator which was out of service during our stay. As a resident of Panama, I highly recommend this botique hotel for a pleasant stay in Bocas. The location is good and the view from the balconies is over the water and rooftops, even though it is only 4 stories tall.

Room Tip: I think the penthouse is the best though we didn't stay there. The penthouse is a fully equippe...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank yknot
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

We wanted a good place to base our week of exploring the Bocas area and thats exactly what we got. Tidy, modern rooms, comfortable beds, a cooked breakfast, and extremely convenient location to water taxis, restaurants, tour operators, and the airport made for a hassle free and pleasant week. There are cheaper places, to be sure, but I doubt that any are better VALUES overall. Helpful, pleasant staff and, again a superior location, mean we will definitely stay here again and recommend to our friends.

Room Tip: Bottom floor is my favorite, top floor gets some views if thats what you value.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Hotel Olas
Hotel Olas
#10 of 13 in Bocas Town
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & S...
#1 of 3 in Isla Bastimentos

Been to Hotel Palma Royale? Share your experiences!