“Home Away From Home - 5 STARS!”
Review of Hosteluego

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bocas Town
Hosteluego
Portland, Oregon
“Home Away From Home - 5 STARS!”
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Hostel Luego is the best hostel I've come across in all my travels in Central America. I have returned to Bocas Del Toro three times on this trip and stayed at Hostel Luego every time. My first visit to Bocas, I stayed at two or three other hostels and never felt comfortable, I just kept moving around until I found this one. It is the only hostel that has a nice, clean, roomy kitchen, great pressure in the showers, hot water, brand new A/C and everything is spotlessly clean. The hostel even has a living room out back with a TV and the most comfortable couch (my friend and I both have fallen asleep on it multiple times)!! The hostel had everything I needed to feel at home, anytime I needed to borrow scissors, a towel for the beach, etc etc Alex and Jose were more than happy to accommodate me. The hostel is an awesome place to hang out, but it's also super low key at night and a great place to stay when you need a night in to relax.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Luxembourg District, Luxembourg
Reviewed 27 June 2012

The hostel is new and very well kept - the rooms and the bathrooms are extra clean. There are some common areas where you can hang out and in the morning you can make some (free) pankakes for yourself. Another great plus comes for A/C which is definitely beyond the standard (and you would not expect it for the price you are paying...).

The only minus is the lack of space / cupboards / hangers in the rooms.

One morning we were awakened by manager arguing vividly with one of the guests, so the reviews which are angry with the staff may have some grounds.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed 12 June 2012

While still in Puerto Viejo we booked a package to Bocas. They offered us a choice or hostels and Hostel Luego was Caribe Tours suggestion as it has A/C and is very nice. The reviews looked great as well so we chose Hostel Luego. Later we learned from locals that it was under new ownership and that those reviews were likely from when the 2 spanish girls owned the hostel.

When we arrived the the owner greeted us with "stay far away from me, im very sick". We thought to ourselves "oh thats great, please hang out in the common areas spreading your germs". Then we were given a key and brought to room number 5. "Yes there is an a/c unit, but it doesnt work, we dont know when it will, someone might look at it soon and fix it we hope". So I ask "well can you put us in a room with a/c then" the sick owner got very defensive about this and said he had informed our tour group and if we wanted a/c we could move to a room upstairs for an extra $15.00 per person.
Against our better judgement we dropped it, went back to our tour leader near the water taxis who said she would look for something else, and since it was in the afternoon we decided to just deal with it for the night, afterall we'd been staying in hostels without a/c for the last 10 days in Costa Rica, so it cant be that bad. WRONG! Unlike the hostels without a/c, this one has no airflow because right outside the windows for this dumpy hostel is another building about 3 feet away. Then theres roaches, no screens on the windows, and right outside the window is the sewer drain, so everytime someone flushes or uses the shower you get to hear it. This went on all night, not to mention the screaming, yelling, and partying in the kitchen until 3 am. There were 3 of us in room number 5 all traveling from different places, one from Brazil, one from Mexico and I myself from the states. All 3 of us after not getting much sleep, between the stiffling heat with no airflow, the roaches, the mosquitos (thanks to no screen), and the noise, got up around 7am, left our keys and went on to different hostels.
In the 2 weeks of staying in Costa Rica and Panama all at hostels, this was the worst hostel. The tour leader in Bocas said "well your in central america, most hostels don't have a/c" to which I responded, "yes I know that, they also don't advertise having a/c and typically they are on or near the beach with airflow".

This hostel probably wouldn't be that bad with a/c, with an owner that was not sick and cranky, without roaches, and without noise from clanking pots and partying in the kitchen.
I though, will never stay here again.
Oh and the location is not great. Far better hostels for the same price or cheaper. We found one for the same price on the main drag with brand new beds, ice cold a/c and a kitchen far away from the rooms for the same price.

Room Tip: Dont stay here
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Steven V
akik926, Owner at Hosteluego, responded to this review, 30 September 2012
We have owned and operated HosteLuego since November 2009. Prior to that there was no HosteLuego hostel in Bocas. Also, we did have two great U.S. girls from California who WORKED for us the first six months while passing through Bocas (not Spanish, never owners). As far as location, we are ONE BLOCK from Mondo Taitu, the most popular, party hostel/bar on the island. People party there and sleep here. The point is that the reviewer has few facts correct. Obviously, he was disappointed in his stay. However, we are a hostel. Fortunately, we are so clean and nice, that people expect hotel-style amenities, and we DO provide these amenities, but we are still a HOSTEL. So expect the occasional bug and mosquito, as well as our inability to control the weather patterns, as they are ALSO part of the local culture this reviewer states he so enjoys while traveling. Come and stay and see for yourself.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 2 June 2012

This place was as smooth as it gets. Friendly service, fair priced and super clean. I enjoyed my room fully with the A-C..... pretty nice in Bocas. Looking forward to book again with you Alex. Thanks for everything.

You should put Bocas del Toro instead of Bocas Town... i had a hard time finding you guys. Just a quick tip ;)

Yan

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I really enjoyed staying here, it was like being in a clean, modern friend's house. The shared kitchen and common areas and decks are great for chilling and kept looking fresh, and i found it easy to meet other travellers here. There was staff on duty every day so the place was tidy by 6am. We stayed in both the dorms ($10/nt) and the private dbl rooms ($25/nt) and both had good sound proofing, no bugs, new mattresses, fans and ac. We initially were going to stay 1 night to try it out and ended up staying 10 nights. Loved the location and pancakes too.

• Stayed May 2012
Saskatoon
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I went to Bocas with a plan to stay for a few nights and try a couple different places, but after spending one night at Hosteluego, I knew I wouldn't be going anywhere else. Alex, the owner, is very easy going and extremely helpful. The hostel is clean, relaxing, and entertaining. The price was cheap, the beds were comfortable, towels were fresh, and the kitchen was brand new. I wish I could have stayed longer! I hope to return very soon.
Thanks,
Ryan

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
david
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We came to Bocas Del Toro with a plan to stay for a week, due to unforeseen circumstances we had to stay longer and this stay was made incredibly enjoyable by staying at Hosteluego. The hostel is cheap, clean, has a kitchen, warm showers, a nicely decorated relaxing social area and it really felt like coming home after a day out. The owner, Alex, was generous and hospitable and really went out of his way to make sure we had a great time whilst staying there. You can party in Bocas and come back to a really chilled environment where you will meet cool people and get to sleep when you choose! We 100% recommend this hostel to anyone visiting Bocas and will certainly stop by again if we are ever in the area!
p.s all the rooms have air conditioning, another bonus!
Hannah and Scott

Hostel Mamallena Bocas del Toro
Bambuda Lodge
Bambuda Lodge
#1 of 2 in Isla Solarte

Been to Hosteluego? Share your experiences!