“Wonderfully Delicious Mexican Food”
Review of Gringo's - CLOSED

Gringo's
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Isla Colon, Panama
“Wonderfully Delicious Mexican Food”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

As a lover of all things Mexican (and even Mexican-esque), I was eager to try this place upon my arrival in Bocas. I'm writing this review based on my third (and most recent) trip to Gringo's.

Service/Atmosphere-The owner, Gary, is always present and ready to accommodate his customers. He has a great sense of humor, and is known to deliver a witty wise crack or two during your meal. For a person like me--who sometimes dines alone while living here in Bocas--his welcoming personality makes all the difference. As for the location, it's tucked away a few blocks from the main street...making it a perfect destination for a quiet meal away from the hustle and bustle in the main part of town. You have the option of dining inside or out on the small terrace.

Food-Now, onto the most important part...the comida! My first two trips here left me feeling satisfied, but not blown away. The food was great, but as a Mexican FANATIC, I literally have to be brought to tears to give a five star review on food (and yes...this has actually happened before). As for this last trip, I would have to give my food a 4.5 (no tears shed, but I felt a few forming behind my pupils). When I walked in, I asked if they had any lunch specials and was informed that they would begin them next week. I told Gary I didn't want to spend too much, and he said I should just figure out what I wanted, and he would make the price work for me. I can honestly say I've never experienced that level of accommodation in a restaurant before. I settled on a half order of steak nachos and a soft chicken taco. They were both AMAZING, and I was left walking that delicate balance of being full-but-not-stuffed.

Drinks-Displayed proudly on their menu is the claim that many customers believe Gringo's makes the 'best and strongest' margaritas in Bocas. Well...I must concur!!! Mine was perfectly crafted, and left me wondering if I should wait awhile before jumping back on my bike.

Overall, my most recent dining experience at Gringo's was FANTASTIC. Gary gave me a great price for my lunch/margarita combo...graciously taking my unemployed island volunteer budget into consideration. The normal prices are a bit higher than many of the other casual dining restaurants in Bocas. However, if Gary keeps delivering lunch specials like the one I received on this visit...I will be their biggest fan!

Note: If half points were an option, I would give Gringo's a 4.5 rating overall.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Cocoa_Commuter

Calgary, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Authentic Mexican But You Must Be In For Taking A Risk”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Nice place. Different though. If you don't like to take a risk than this isn't the place for you. The food was ok. A little slow, not the best Mexican i have ever had. The service was strange. They kind of all stood around and watched us but i think that was because we were the only ones in the restaurant. I wouldn't go back. It is something you have to do though, it got very high ratings in our Panama tour book and really was authentic Mexican food. Saw Chickens passing by the resturaunt on the road! Really get to see the not touristy side of town!

• Visited April 2014
Morehead City, North Carolina
“authentic mex food”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Owner is from Housongscantina TiJuana .really good margaritas too.great food.What a comfortable spot for lunch.

Visited June 2013
Chico, California
“Good mecican food”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Probably the best Mexican food we had in Panama. The burritos were big and delicious. I got the special of some kind, is was great. Home made chips and salsa. Get the hot. And make my Margarita a little stronger next time please.

Visited February 2014
Bocas Town, Panama
“Nice friendly service”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

The guy that works there is great and very friendly. I wanted something vegettarian..so he just made something up, it didnt even have to be on the menu. It was great. The food is great mexican food here.

Visited February 2014