“Wonderfully quiet hostel for a low key Bocas stay”

Hostal Mar e Iguana
Ranked #11 of 28 Bocas Town B&B and Inns
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Wonderfully quiet hostel for a low key Bocas stay”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

After staying at Casa Verde for a night, I decided I wanted to find somewhere a little quieter. I long walk around the island led me to Mar e Iguana. I ended up making some great friends here during my ~8 day stay.

Contrary to what you might expect from the name, this is not a party hostel in the slightest. The commons areas are always very mellow and relaxed. The kitchen is setup pretty well for cooking. Though one complaint, the kitchen closes at 9! By the time you go out exploring for the day and walk back to the hostel, cook, eat and clean up, it's tough to pull that off before 9.

The owners are both really lovely and nice. The other guy who works there (I forget his name, the Cuban rasta man =) got a bit short with me because of the aforementioned limit on kitchen time. I left the kitchen for a moment to eat dinner and was about to return to clean up my mess. However, it was *just* past 9 and he found me elsewhere and scolded me. And he kept turning up the music in the commons area when people were all clearly trying to have conversations, so we would go elsewhere to where it was quiet.

Dorm was a bit musty and the mattresses were pretty bad. But I can sleep pretty much anywhere, so that didn't bother me as much.

But with that being said, I loved this place because of the atmosphere!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Sean S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Brampton
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

I picked this place because its beachfront (now I know it's a beach that you don't wanna swim in often). Either way I needed up extending my stay and staying a month because the staff was so nice. I was able to practice my Spanish with them, they let me know about Panamanian culture (they were from other countries).

Emmanuel, Ainara, Francesca, Diego, Indherra and Cuba made the place feel amazing and I recommend staying there. Bike rentals are only $5 a day, it's about a 15min walk to town and stores and restaurants are nearby.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank d_kin31
San Diego, California
Reviewed 22 April 2013

My boyfriend and I had a great time at Mar e Iguana, the location was perfect because we were close to the beach and surfing spots and also a walking distance to town. We loved the happy hour time from 5pm to 7pm, we met really nice people including the staff, they are all really helpful.

We stayed in the cabina Lion, which is pretty confortable and clean, we loved the tower with the hammocks, this was the best place to hang out with other people.

The kitchen was very well equiped, so we did lots of cooking there.

Their boat tour is really nice and confi, Riccardo has lots of expirience and know the best spots to visit, very interesting. We had an amaizing trip.

I would absolutely recomend this hostel to everybody who goes to Bocas del Toro.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Julie M
Rotorua, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We stayed just one night here and found it to be nice and cheap (although we chose the camping option). The big wooden terrace is a great place to hang out and talk to other travellers, we would buy drinks at the bar and take them up to the top. It is a bit of a hike into the main part of town, but definitely walking distance and a nice enough walk.

The bathrooms were nothing special and the service was average, but nice location across the road from the beach and I can imagine it generally attracts a laid-back, younger clientele.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KiwiCamNZ
Toronto
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I stayed for three days at Mar e Iguana in March and it was fantastic. The staff are super friendly and laid back. There is a bar and kitchen right at the hostal so you can hang out there or just as easily walk to the main part of town. I like that it's a little bit away from all the touristy places on the main strip. There are supermarkets right down the street so you don't need to go far to pick up snacks or water. My room was clean, comfortable, and secure. I met some great people at this hostal and would stay here again!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 April 2013

The staff at Mar e Iguana are great, except one guy who ruins the whole vibe. He was very aggressive towards me and other guests when I was there, and it did not feel comfortable or safe to be at the hostel when he was in charge.
Otherwise the hostal itself is ok, quite clean and easygoing. The kitchen lacks appropriate equippment for good cooking, but it's ok.
They say that you can hear the seabreeze from the hostal, well that is true except that there is a bar straight across the street which plays very loud music 24/7.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank NorahJ19
Ottawa
Reviewed 10 April 2013 via mobile

Unfriendly and unhelpful staff (excluding Nora who should have her pay doubled) unclean and generally not well looked after. The priavte room was small, cramped, and moldy and the 'Rasta' working there was a rude and unfriendly [--]. Excuses included 'this isn't America with skyscrapers and malls' when we mentioned the bike locks had the wrong keys (Im Canadian and Panama City is in Panama right?) 'We on de islan mon' when we asked about laundry service (despite a $4 laundry 80m from the front gate) and other gems like 'speak English my Spanish not good' and then asking to speak Spanish cause he didn't understand my English...

Overall there are many others to choose from I suggest you do.

• Stayed April 2013
#1 of 13 in Bocas Town
Hotel Palma Royale
Hotel Palma Royale
#3 of 13 in Bocas Town

Been to Hostal Mar e Iguana? Share your experiences!