After staying at Casa Verde for a night, I decided I wanted to find somewhere a little quieter. I long walk around the island led me to Mar e Iguana. I ended up making some great friends here during my ~8 day stay.
Contrary to what you might expect from the name, this is not a party hostel in the slightest. The commons areas are always very mellow and relaxed. The kitchen is setup pretty well for cooking. Though one complaint, the kitchen closes at 9! By the time you go out exploring for the day and walk back to the hostel, cook, eat and clean up, it's tough to pull that off before 9.
The owners are both really lovely and nice. The other guy who works there (I forget his name, the Cuban rasta man =) got a bit short with me because of the aforementioned limit on kitchen time. I left the kitchen for a moment to eat dinner and was about to return to clean up my mess. However, it was *just* past 9 and he found me elsewhere and scolded me. And he kept turning up the music in the commons area when people were all clearly trying to have conversations, so we would go elsewhere to where it was quiet.
Dorm was a bit musty and the mattresses were pretty bad. But I can sleep pretty much anywhere, so that didn't bother me as much.
But with that being said, I loved this place because of the atmosphere!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hostel Mar e Iguana and the Irie Lion bar is the perfect place to relax when you travel to Bocas del Toro. Sitting beside the Caribbean Sea just minutes from Bocas Town.Mar e Iguana has access to all of the activities this area offers, but it enjoys the serenity that makes Bocas Panama unique.Your key to comfort in Bocas del Toro...Specializing in relaxation and having great rates, the hostel has a wide range of features. Guests can get help scheduling tours, surf lessons, massages and other activities. Visitors here can also enjoy the nightlife of Bocas Town, with bars and restaurants only minutes away. For those who are more interested in enjoying nature, the sound of the waves has a calming effect, especially when heard from the hostels comfortable hammocks.Rooms at Hostel Mar e Iguana are also very comfortable and provide features you would expect in a resort, such as air conditioning, private bathrooms and free Wi-Fi.The Irie Lion Bar & Restaurant provides great drinks and special food every days, plus you can enjoy live reggae music every thursday.... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and HostelWorld so you can book your Hostal Mar e Iguana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hostal Mar e Iguana Hotel Bocas Town
- Hostal Mar e Iguana Bocas Del Toro, Panama - Bocas Town