“I left my heart at Pukalani!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Pukalani Hostal

Pukalani Hostal
Panama City, Panama
“I left my heart at Pukalani!”
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Deje mi corazon en Pukalani!!
Definitivamente, el lugar es lo maximo. Todos hacen que te sientas en casa. Juan y Maify son excelentes anfitriones. Abres la puerta de la habitacion y tienes una fotografia eterna! La Full Moon Party no tiene precio! Siempre los recordare y espero volver muy pronto. Si, no pude evitar unas lagrimas al salir!!! ;(((

I left my heart in Pukalani. Definitely, the place is the maximum! Everyone make you feel like at home. Juan and Maify are the best hosts. YOu open your room doorand there you have an eternal picture of the beach! The Fool Moon Party is priceless! I'll always remember this place and this people and I hope to go back very soon. Yes, I couldn't help letting a few tear when leaving!!! ;(((

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Oakland, CA
Reviewed 1 September 2012

The people running this place are incredibly rude. When we asked for food, which we had earlier been told was available, the nasty older woman looked at all of us in the face, sighed, spaced out a while, then said "no". The pool was full of screaming kids who were beating eachother with toys and making a huge mess and racket - clearly not paying customers, as we were, but local kids. Awful experience, would never come here again.

• Stayed August 2012
5 Thank im_elyse13
Liverpool
Reviewed 31 August 2012

We stayed at Pukalani for 5 nights, after only planning to stay 2. The owners were so lovely and accomodating to us and helped out whenever we needed. The hostel is very clean and very reasonably priced. All the dorm rooms have private bathrooms and hot showers too which was very welcome after lots of cold showers. There is a nice little kitchen so good for those who want to cook for themselves, but it is also really easy to get to town either with the shuttle service the hostel offers, by taxi for $2 or by bike which really is quite quick. The hostel is slightly out of town but has huge benefits of being within walking distance of the nicest beaches on the island which none of the hostels in town are. It also has a lovely swimming pool which is great for relaxing after a day in the sun! All the staff are so friendly, I really reccommend a stay at Pukalani, it definitely made our time in Bocas.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Would have really loved Pukalani (setting is great-- pool, hammocks, pier overlooking the bay), but at around 5:30 PM they started playing loud "house" music that went on until about 10 PM. It was inescapable (even under water), ruined the beautiful and serene setting, and drove us crazy and out of the hotel for the rest of our stay on Bocas.

Shame really though, because otherwise it would have been really nice

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Al J
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 6 August 2012

My fiance and I were staying on Bocas and he got a tattoo from Juan, the owner of Pukalani Hostal. Juan was an amazing guy to talk to for the 3 hour duration of the tattoo, and invited us to come swimming and check out his hostal. The next day (our last day in Bocas) we rented bicycles and it only took about 15 minutes to get there from town center. Their property is right on the beach with a beautiful gazebo over the water, large pool, bar and hang-out area. Juan told us that it is all new and they just opened in January of 2012. He showed us the rooms that were very clean, and really nice with TVs and an extra futon. He also showed us the honeymoon suit over looking the bay with a full granite kitchen, beautiful wood floors and a romantic bedroom. We regret not finding this hostal at the beginning of our stay. It would be perfect for anyone who wants to be close to the action during the day, but in a calm island paradise at night! I would send my 75 year old Aunt here, or my 21 year old nephew, great for everyone! We biked about 5 more minutes down the road to the best surfing beach in Bocas, too bad we can't surf! Stay here... and get a tattoo from Juan at Solo Ink!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
United States
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I can't say enough about this hostel! First of all, the place itself is incredible: beautiful pool that belongs in a nice hotel, right on the sea, nice bar, nice pier...I could keep going. For me, the location was perfect! True that it's a $2 taxi ride to the chaotic center (or a 10 minute bike ride (bikes rented daily at pukalani) or maybe a 25 minute walk), but I had no desire to be in the stuffy town anyway, except at night for a few drinks and Pukalani staff made it easy to get to town at night with a free shuttle.
The staff was amazing. I spent the last week of my travels solo, and the Pukalani staff made me feel at home. They went out of their way to answer all my questions and make me feel welcome! The owners are wonderful people! & Ben in the kitchen is starting up a delicious menu! The bar has serious potential, and I expect that soon Pukalani will be a bar that even non-guests are visiting. I agree that it's the best place to stay in Bocas! In general, one of the best hostels I've stayed at! Thank you, Pukalani staff!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Was suppose to spend a few days in Bocas but ended up staying there for three weeks. This is by far the best hostel. Amazing staff (hola Daisy y Martina) an amazing chef (hi Ben) and a wonderful family( hola a todos). They couldn´t have made my stay better. They were so accommodating. I felt like part of their family. The really went out of their way to help

The hostal is really nice and clean with an amazing pool that is cleaned everyday. Excellent location if you want to get away from the other tourists.Dorm rooms great, with excellent AC and hot showers. There is a free shuttle three times a day or a taxi only costs 2 dollars. Its on the beach and there are so many beautiful nearby places to visit. I have travelled to many hostels but i don´t think ill ever find a place like this again. Definately worth a visit.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank NiamhW
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bocas Town
Tropical Suites Hotel
Tropical Suites Hotel
#1 of 13 in Bocas Town
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & S...
#1 of 3 in Isla Bastimentos
#1 of 1 in Bluff Beach
Bambuda Lodge
Bambuda Lodge
#1 of 2 in Isla Solarte

Been to Pukalani Hostal? Share your experiences!