“seriously? this place is a dump”
Review of Hotel Angela

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bocas Town
Hotel Angela
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Bocas Town
New York City, New York
“seriously? this place is a dump”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

i do not understand the good reviews of this place. maybe the rooms upstairs are better or something. i found my room to be a dark and musty box with no windows. it had cable tv and wifi and hot water and a/c, and the staff is nice, which is why i rated it 2 stars instead of 1. but it certainly was not worth the price i paid for it. the comforter on the bed had blood spots on it. there were dead roaches all over the hallway near the kitchen. someone woke the whole place up at 5am banging on the front door for an hour because the security girl wouldn't answer... if i had been on vacation and ended up here (rather than just taking a weekend side trip from costa rica where i am living) i would have been incredibly annoyed. i saw several better located places that looked nicer.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Nicole F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Managua, Nicaragua
Reviewed 14 January 2012

This place is well situated on the edge of town, a short walk to the bars and restaurants. I really felt that we were being grossly overcharged for the room, we had a suite for $125 a night, but it's all we could find at such late notice. I really agree with the last review; the owner needs to get back! I spoke to him when making my reservation and he sounded very sweet and helpful and I imagined he would be around for our stay, yet he was away the whole time.

As for the staff, with some exceptions, I found them lazy and severely lacking in charm and manners. For example, the air con in our room broke and they weren't interested in coming to help us, just flippantly telling us to use the remote, and close doors and windows (which we had obviously already done). They did promptly call someone out to fix it, we happened to pop by the room to find him in the room alone, had he wanted he could have got away with my jewelry and more! My partner went downstairs to politely ask the 2 women in charge if someone could stay with him in the room as we were off out again, to which they looked at him in disdain! Did they comply with the request? Um, no.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I have stayed at Angela maybe 3-4 times. The food has been great and it's quiet so you may sleep! Bocas can be very noisy otherwise. Recently the maintenance has gone downhill, the restaurant is practically gone and the staff appears lazy. Clearly the owner Claudio needs to get back to his hotel and run things again!

Room Tip: The rooms close to the reception area can be a bit noisy.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Edmonton
Reviewed 9 January 2012

We were suppose to stay for three nights (December 30 to January 1) but we couldn't make the first night because of a flight delay. They did not charge us for the first night. We stayed in Room #9 and it was clean and we had a patio and you could see the water. The restaurant is located right on the water and we brought our own drinks down there to enjoy the view.

Claudio was very helpful. The only downside of the trip was that the cook was not in on new years day so we could not try the food. It is about a 3 minute walk from the airport and it was nice that it was not right downtown because it would have been quite loud because of all the celebrating.

I would recommend this place. It probably is not the cheapest you it was in a good location and it right on the water.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Portland
Reviewed 29 December 2011

All the people that worked at the hotel, and the owner were very gracious and nice. The location was better than being in the main part of town and also better than being super far out of town as well. As far as the price though, for the quality of the rooms, you can probably find better. Hotel Angela was right on the water, but there is no swimming there because of boat traffic and all, but that is typical of most of the hotel on Isla Colon, especially in the "city". If you are looking for a place with a beach on Isla Colon, good luck.

Room Tip: Some rooms have no doors where the shower is, ask about this if you are traveling with people that y...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 30 November 2011

I haven't been there in a while, and took me a little to review this hotel, but let me tell you something, I am local, and I like this place so much that i ve been in Bocas maybe 5 times, and 4 of them I stayed in Hotel Angela! (the other one was my first time and I stayed in other hotel, total disappointment)..It is not a fancy hotel, but they have clean beds, nice staff and well located, what else do you need?? After a day full of activities, I can assure you that all you need is a quiet place to crash...and your breakfast in that deck: priceless! once I got the fortune to see dolphins while I was drinking my delicious juice!

Room Tip: Rooms in the second floor are nicer!
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ktycastillo
ClaudioBocasdelToro, Owner at Hotel Angela, responded to this review, 11 December 2011
Kindness is the cornerstone of Hotel Angela, as can be witnessed on each page of our website.

My favorite is by a young man who built our first web site. He says, ¨¨Love is like a Rose, Blossoming when you water it, Wilting when you don`t.¨

I so thanki you for your Kindness in Watering Hotel Angela´s Rose.

Claudio
East Hampton, New York
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Room 9 was not as advertised on the site - then again, camera lenses can be tricky: the room was small, and the shower was adjacent (as in 24") from the side of the bed, and there was an odor that could only be described as stale Pine Sol meets musty basement. We stayed for 5 minutes. Maybe 6. They were kind enough to refund one (of the two nights pre-paid).

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank travelingman2010
ClaudioBocasdelToro, Owner at Hotel Angela, responded to this review, 29 November 2011
Two other couples in your party stayed for the three days of your reservations. We did not charge for your vacated room but gave the paying member of your group the entirety of the 50% advance reservation charge for the 3 rooms, including yours.

Though you were offered other more expensive rooms for the price of the room you did not like,
you still chose to move.

We do our best to please our clients, but regrettably this did not work in this instance. And to repeat, your vacated room was not charged as you state.

Please come again, we hope to do better on your return. Sincerely, Claudio

Travellers are raving about these Bocas Town hotels

#2 of 2 in Carenero Island
Hotel Caribbean View
Hotel Caribbean View
#2 of 3 in Isla Bastimentos

Been to Hotel Angela? Share your experiences!