“Downtown but good!”
Review of Hotel Laguna

Hotel Laguna
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Bocas Town
Reviewed 7 April 2012

The hotel and management were just fine for the price range. Yes you have to have ear plugs BUT you also can get a deck with a view of the main street and the park plus you are in the middle of the town with access to everything. Why walk when a clean, a/c room with good management is right there in the middle of town?

Room Tip: There is a building going up across the street during 2012. The noise can bother you if you stay too...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 February 2012

I stayed at the hotel 2 days, February 27-28, 2012. This hotel is right in the middle of everything you need : tour operators, restaurants, groceries, bank, bus, taxis! Prices are really good. So overall, this is a good hotel!

BUT... what makes Hotel Laguna an EXCELLENT hotel is the staff! First, Felix is soooooo helpful! Before I came to Bocas, we exchange quite some emails and he always answered me quickly and he can give you excellent advices about tours and everything. On the same day I arrived, he quickly booked me a taxi to Bocas del Drago because I arrived too late with the taxi-boat.

AND... Finally, another GREAT person is Andrea at the reception! Wow... she's been soooooooo helpful too! I lost my key, my money and my credit card at sea (yeah... what a nice day!!! haha), and she helped me transfering international calls to arrange everything and she's been extremely patient with me... she's a gem! :)

So... if I come back to Bocas, I will definately come back to Hotel Laguna! :)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank FredzWay
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I rented a suite for 2 weeks and a regular room for a day. The suite was a good an especially good value. Quality beds and bedding. Cable, nearby store, right across the street, wi fi, Quality hotel and Excellent service from both Felix and his brother, Antonio They were quite knowledgeable about tours, day trips,schedules for all busses, and hooked me up with a wonderful and safe tour guide named Raphael Clark, who showed me around the area and then went into Panama City with me. I really had a good time art the hotel and found the rooms and the staff to be THE MOST efficient and clean hotel I have stayed at in years. Any concern I had was immediately addressed. THANKS ALL.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank nightskydreams
Reviewed 9 March 2011

The Laguna Hotel has an excellent location and very friendly and helpful reception staff as well as clean rooms, making for a all-around good experience.

I was first offered room #5, a very small single, but with a balcony. It was at the top of the stairs and I thought it might be noisy, so I asked to see another room. I was given #14, a double. Its window faces the balconies on the other side so I had to keep the shades closed. The room had good air-condiitoning and a small bathroom and shower. It connects to another room, which might be useful if a family books two rooms.

Breakfast is offered in the hotel restaurant and you can eat on the verandah. There is coffee or juice, and your choice of eggs to order, yogurt with granola or cereal.

Our guide told us potable water is a problem in Bocas, so drink bottled water. There is a mini-mart next door to the hotel and prices are good.

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank Esther P
Reviewed 24 February 2010

After looking around at lots of other hotels and hostels, I was relieved to find a comfortable looking room at Laguna. The room was $40 for a single occupancy room. It had cable, tv, a mini fridge which all worked great, and free wifi in the reception area.

The staff were extremely helpful and courteous - I really appreciated their help and concern for my safety as I was traveling alone. The location is also great - very close to the park, restaurants and water taxis right in the center of town.

The mattress and pillows were pretty bad, though, but probably just old. I was unlucky in that my neighbors were extremely noisy and woke me up both nights of my stay - but I imagine this wasn't the hotels fault so can't hold it against them, although I wish they would have asked them to quiet down at some point. The room was also quite dark, but I didn't mind too much as I was only there at night.

Overall, it was just fine. Given the reasonable price and nice people, I was content to stay there. There are probably nicer places, but this was a great backup choice for me (the place I had hoped to stay was closed for renovation).

Note: the photo displayed on trip advisor does not appear to be of this hotel.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 July 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel with another couple friend of ours for 3 nights. This was supposed to be the low season in Bocas so prices are little less than during peak season, we paid $55 per night per room.
The hotel/room is nothing fancy or espectacular, is just fine for the price. As long as you stay on the left wing of the hotel (opposite to the reception area) you will be fine, I'm saying this because the rooms on the other side of the building seem to smell, we were staying there and there was a strong humidity smell that gave me an allergy so we requested to be moved to the other side after the first night and our request was accomodated. We were closed to our friends room and the difference was huge, I think is because on the left side the rooms have a balcony, some facing the street and some facing the internal patio, so the air can circulate better.
I can't complain about noise at night, it was quite. The room has a TV with cable channels, AC, a mini fridge, hot water and breakfast included. The breakfast was the same every day but not bad to be included, consisted of toast, eggs, fruits and juice.
We didn't have any other meal at the hotel restaurant so we can't comment on the rest of the food.
The reception lady (Florencia) was very nice and accomodating.
The hotel location is great, close to several convenience stores and close to ports and areas where you take the tours. Bocas Town is very small and everything is close anyways.
There is no internet at the hotel, but there are many internet cafes around, even one across the street and there is a restaurant/cafeteria few blocks from there that offers free wifi so you can take advantage if you have your own device.
Please be aware that the pictures of this hotel posted on TripAdvisor are not of this hotel, only one of them is (the picture of the room), I realized later that the other pictures where from another Laguna Hotel somewhere in Florida, somebody might have posted them incorrectly.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Des&Rick
Reviewed 10 March 2009

Stayed two nights as part of a group tour. Tour leader apologised for our room in the attic - but it was absolutely fine - fairly compact, but at least we had no-one clomping about in the room above. The hotel is about two minutes walk from the ferry dock or five minutes from the airport (if you come by boat, do take a walk to the airport!). We had no problems with water or aircon. Plenty of small restaurants within a very short distance - would particularly recommend Om. Bus service every couple of hours to the pleasant beach at Drago (about 50 mins each way, $3 return). Local beach about 30 minutes walk.

• Stayed: February 2009