“Great accommodation but skip the food, use the safe, and bring earplugs”

Hotel Bocas del Toro
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Bocas Town
Reviewed 30 December 2008

As other reviewers note, this is the most charming of the Bocas Town waterfront options. Some rooms (e.g. our #5) have spectacular water/island views from pleasant balconies. Rooms are well furnished. Pleasant, efficient staff and management. Bar makes a mean caipirinha, and sitting out with it on the over-the-water deck it is very satisfying. Central location, walk to everything, including the airport.
But: for some reason, little attention is paid to the food. The menu is plastic (in all senses). Eat next door (either side!) or at many other good places in town. Then beware: our wallets were cleaned out when inadvertently not locked in the safe. (Management handled this professionally and with sympathy, but still...). And finally, be ready for the nightly music: until 3 am most nights, the thump of the bass from nearby bars echoes through all these waterfront hotels.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank TapasTourist

Reviewed 21 October 2008

After a few trips to the archipelago, I stayed with a friend at Hotel Bocas del Toro for the second time. After staying at different hotels throughout the island town, I can accurately say it is one of the cleanest and most comfortable in Bocas Town. The hotel's location on the water allowed us to be in the heart of the action with the convenience of reaching the hotel room quickly after a night on the town.

Our hotel room had a terrace facing the main street where we sat in the morning drinking a cup of coffee and watching the town wake up. Great people watching!!! Our room was always clean, airy, and very comfortable.

The hotel staff was always friendly and helpful. Truly one of the best places to stay in Bocas del Toro!

3  Thank pongopyg11
Reviewed 26 September 2008

what a sweet hotel !

Hotel Bocas Del Toro was recommended to me by a buddy who lives in Panama and I was very happy I stayed. Book room 11 if you can - its the top floor with the big [-] balcony overlooking the water ! The room is very big with really tastefull furnishings ( native woods etc ) top linens on the monster king bed and a nice plasma TV ( we watched olympics ) it was soo sweet -

The staff is really nice and very honest as we found out _ i left my cell phone behind and many hours later returned looking for it and was surprised to get it back _ THKS to Betsaida Baker for her honesty

The manager Carla Rankin has done a wonderfull job and I do look forward to visiting Bocas and the Bocas Hotel again

GO FOR IT !!!!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank davidsidders
Reviewed 23 August 2008

I was a bit disapointed in this hotel and the town. The rooms were small, no ammenities at all. We got a piece of very small soap and had to ask for more toilet paper. After we left each day, they would turn off our A/C so it was hot as hell when we came back. The hotel staff was not very friendly and it was tough to get someone to wait on you in the restaurant. The best thing was that our balcony looked out over the water. It was within walking distance of everything but so are the other hotels. Bocas del Toro was a dirty little town and the best part was the water taxis that took you out to the other islands. All in all we had a good time but
then we always do if we're on a vacation!!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank lizzzy03
Wold, Director at Hotel Bocas del Toro, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2008

Hotel Bocas del Toro acknowledges the comments made by the guest who was kind enough to visit to our hotel one year ago, in October 2007.
We recognize that a year or two ago, our rooms were quite minimalistic in their décor and amenities. However, the good news is that we have implemented a substantial upgrade of all our rooms, and they all now include the following to make them cozy and comfortable: flat screen cable TVs, orthopedic pillow top beds, kingsize beds where appropriate, 400 count thread cotton sheets, in room coffee service provided using organic coffee from an indigenous village which is in keeping with our commitment to sustainable tourism, captains reading chairs, with bathroom amenities that include shampoo/conditioner, drinking glasses, plenty of soap and toilet paper. Our large Luxury Ocean View Room is now even more impressive as it includes all the above plus a sitting area, Bose IPod docking station, 32 inch flat screen cable TV, DVD, and refrigerator.
Hotel Bocas del Toro promotes responsible tourism and business practices and as such we do our best to offset carbon emissions. Air conditioners have a significant impact on the Earth's climate as one pound of HFC released to the atmosphere has the same global warming effect as 1,300 pounds of carbon dioxide. For this reason our policy is to instruct employees to turn off the AC during the day when guests are not in their rooms, with special requests acknowledged. Hotel Bocas del Toro promotes responsible tourism and business practices.

Reviewed 7 July 2008

I went to Bocas Del Toro for the first time last week and stayed at the Hotel Bocas Del Toro for one night during the end of my trip. Had I known earlier about this hotel, I would have stayed there for the entire duration of my stay in the island. The hotel staff were always very helpful and most importantly cheerful and hospitable. The hotel itself is very lovely and overlooks the water.
The room I stayed in was very clean and had a private balcony, which was an added bonus. I also liked the decor of the room as it has a very appropriate nautical theme.
One of the positive aspects of this hotel is that it is located right by the water as well as being near all the action. I like walking everywhere when I travel, so I liked how this hotel was walking distance from restaurants and cafes.
All in all, I was very satisfied with my experience at Hotel Bocas Del Toro. The nightly rate was very reasonable for the quality of service and cleanliness of the room (I am very particular about clean rooms). I am definitely going back the next time I visit Bocas Del Toro.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank coban84
Reviewed 2 July 2008

After several weeks of vacationing in Costa Rica, my husband and I traveled to Bocas del Toro for an extended weekend. We were looking forward to a change from the beach and the experiences a new location provides. We really enjoyed the “boat culture” of Bocas!

We happened upon Hotel Bocas del Toro after one disappointing night at another local hotel. We were desperate for a clean and comfortable place to stay in a central location. Hotel Bocas del Toro completely surpassed our expectations. We were immediately greeted by Denilka and Johayui who offered any of several available rooms to us; both staff members were extremely friendly, professional, and displayed a sincere desire to make us comfortable.

We stayed in two different rooms during our stay at Hotel Bocas del Toro. Both rooms had comfortable beds and linens and were extremely clean. Cecelia, Betsaida, and Raquel were very friendly and helpful with all housekeeping requests; the housekeeping staff kept both of our nautically themed rooms consistently very clean.

We ate in the hotel’s restaurant and bar on several occasions. We found the food consistently good and accurately described on the menus.

At the suggestion of the reception staff, we took a day-long tour through the hotel. The tour included dolphin viewing, a few different snorkeling locations, and a few hours on Red Frog Beach. We felt that this tour was very well structured, fun, informative, and safe. This was the highlight of our time in Bocas!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Simone72
Reviewed 13 June 2008

After a bit of a chaotic trek from Costa Rica to Bocas del Toro my partner and I were in need of a bit of R&R. I was relieved to find that Hotel Bocas del Toro was only steps away from the water taxi, as I felt like my motor skills were in jeopardy of failing me due to exhaustion. Moments later we arrived to the hotel where we were greeted by a very friendly staff who understood English and kindly forged through our mediocre Spanish. Before handing over the keys, the staff briefed us on hotel amenities such as laundry, restaurant, and tour options.

When we finally reached the room on the very top floor we were in awe of the simple beauty of the spacious, nautically inspired wooden interior and the large terrace with sweeping views of the entire bay. It felt as if we had been given the keys to the castle. Even more so when a few days of unexpected rain forced us to stay close to the room. We were easily soothed by long hours of terrace sitting and movie watching on the large flat screen TV.

During our stay we also met the owner who's island chic style mirrored that of the hotel's aesthetic. She was very good about following up on requests as well as menial things like whether or not we enjoyed our day long boat tour.

If you ever have the time to stop through this beautiful archipelago, this is the best place to lay your head. Aside from the awe striking beauty of Bocas del Toro itself, this hotel was by far the second best wonder of this town.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank CaliforniaSunchaser