“GREAT all things considered!”
Review of Hotel Cristina

Hotel Cristina
Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Bocas Town
WhiteChocolate
“GREAT all things considered!”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I'm from the USA so I've stayed in all kinds of hotels in North America from Motel 6 & 8 to The Hilton. I've been living in Central America for 4 months. I was very happy to find this hotel and found the price of $30-40/night very reasonable. I was/am so tired of hostels!

My room was clean, the bed was a USA-style bed (ie, "real") and the bed & bath linens were clean, the A/C worked well and cooled the room to "cold" in under 2 hours in the evening. I had a private bathroom in my room. Finally! I also had a TV in my room that had The Discovery Channel in English with Spanish subtitles. Nice! The staff were very polite to me. There was a wardrobe/armoir where I could air out my clothes, a chair, and a desk. No alarm clock. I had to unplug the TV to plug in my cell phone charger.

While I was there, my bathroom did not have hot water as advertised and the TV's speakers were blown so I got a lot of static when the Discovery Channel had background music. However, it was so dang hot and so fun that I didn't mind the cold water or that speakers were blown.

Speaking of music, the village square has GREAT live, loud music from 10pm to 2am--at least on the weekends. But you can hear it from the hotel. If you're not planning to party till 2am and have issues sleeping through loud noise (like me) then I'd find a hotel that is much father away from the plaza. Otherwise, the hotel itself is quiet. But there's a grocery store across the street and a breakfast restaurant nextdoor and they get a lot of traffic early in the mornings. But in my experience, sleeping-in in Central America is impossible for Gringos.

By the way, there is a GREAT restaurant across the street that is owned by French Canadians. It's the BEST food I've had since I got to Central America. The prices were way cheaper than what I'd pay in the USA or Costa Rica for the SAME food and service. My server was a black/Caribbean, so he spoke English and Spanish. Me gusta. The owners are tri-lingual.

Room Tip: During the Holidays (Nov, Dec, & Jan) and the summer, make reservations in advance. Ask for a ro...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

I wanted to pay a bit more just to have a more comfortable stay, but I was wrong. The receptionist were so rude and seemed like they did not want my business. When I got into the room, I found a dead cockroach in one of the corners, the bed sheets were stained. Horrible stay, place was filfthy, not worth it at all.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank JennyVedara

Travellers are raving about these Bocas Town hotels

Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We got to Bocas del Toro without a reservation and after checking a few hotels that were booked finally came across this one. The price per night was very affordable, the hotel is nothing fancy and the bathroom smelled a little bit but for the price it was more than fine since we were just looking for a place to sleep. The location is good and there is a convenient little market on the bottom floor. Wifi was horrible.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Been there jan 5-7th, the hotel is just "ok" if you're just looking for a place to sleep.
During that time we didn't have hot water in the room (we had 2 rooms) so take in mind that it may happen.
The location is great, and it feels pretty safe - my friends left money in the room and nothing happened, the staff are there 24 hours and cameras are all over the building.
Bed and pillows - uncomfortable :/