“Slow, slow, slow - and not worth the wait!”
Review of El Cayuco - CLOSED

El Cayuco
Cuisines: Cuban, Italian
Calpe, Spain
“Slow, slow, slow - and not worth the wait!”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

It was a rainy evening in Bocas, and the balcony of El Cayuco looked inviting and the menu sounded interesting - Cuban and Italian dishhes. We were greeted by the two chefs as we went past the kitchen and all seemed fine. There was only 1 other table there when we arrived. The waiter seemed a bit shy, but no problem we got a couple of beers and ordered. A salad to start, then I ordered Caronara but with penne not spaghetti and my husband had the Cuban chicken. After about 45 minutes, no salad had arrived, but they did bring a couple of tasty bruschetta. This was brought by one of the chefs as the waiter seemed to have disappeared off on his bike. I have no idea what he went to do; certainly not buy any ingredients to make a carbonara sauce - as I ended up with a plate of spaghetti (not penne!) with some oil on it and a bit of crispy bacon sprinkled on top. My husband´s chicken was average - and the only appearance that the salad made was on our bill! In the meantime, 2 other tables turned up and by the time we left they still hadn´t had anything to eat.
Avoid - there are plenty of great places to eat in Bocas and this isn´t one of them!

• Visited January 2014

Helsinki, Finland
“Great and tasty food!”
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

What a great restaurant! We went there few times (dinner). Food was very tasty and good and service was excellent. The cook himself came to tell us the specialities of the day. We would recommend this restaurant to everybody!

Visited January 2014
Panama City, Panama
“Terrible.”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We went here for lunch but found that the place was closed. The outside of the building looked unkempt and sort of like in ruins, so we figured the restaurant might have gone broke or otherwise abandoned. Turned out it wasn't the case, as we saw the place open for dinner. In the dim light the shabinness of the place might go unnoticed by most, I guess. As I was reading the menu though, what really put me off was a line that said something like .."if you don't like our prices go somewhere else blah blah.." . Even if it was intended as a joke I really disliked the tone of it. To add insult to injury, some band started to play live and awful music, so we definitely decided to dine elsewhere and later on the night prevented myself and my party from resting properly at our nearby hotel. Nothing good to say about this place.

• Visited January 2014