“island life” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 30 Bocas Town B&B and Inns
chi-city
“island life”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2008

We stayed in the mastersuite about a week ago. Jack, the owner, is very kind and accomodating. Our flight arrived much earlier than he had anticipated and he let us check into our room at 8am and made us breakfast. He is a very casual person who is genuinely interested in you having a great time. He also knows a lot about the island, and has tips about great things to do. Getting to this little gem on the other hand is a bit uncomfortable...you take a taxi from the airport (although we did walk) but you and the cabby would never know how to find it without a little digging, we were also warned that it was not a good neighborhood on the island. It is sent on a set back sidewalk on the edge of the water than needs A LOT of cleaning up in the surrounding areas. However, once you walk in this place is adorable...high ceilings and a charming hippy feel. The mastersuite is great, but dont plan on bathing in the advertised hot tub, it would take an hour to fill and the water would be cold, but that is easily combated by the amazing sunset that can be viewed while laying in bed for seista with your partner. The open shower is really refreshing too. It was very relaxing and Jack was a great host.

Stayed October 2008
1 Thank dleeb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2008

What a view of the ocean off the deck, don't miss the starfish and dolphins and the stary nights. The management was attentive but stayed out of our way. I enjoyed our stay, relaxing and beautiful.

• Liked — the beautiful ocean
  • Disliked — the street
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2008

i have stayed in jack and cc's place for 4 nights (10/2008) with freinds we had a great time it felt like staying home. the place has a beautiful deck ,kitchen for cooking,clean and whatever u need for a good vication. even u get a dishy breakfast from jack
enjoy

• Liked — the hosts and the view
  • Disliked — it was short
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2008

We booked for 3 nights at this "hotel" We payed $88 for the master suite. The room was not cleaned properly, there was sand all over the room. There was a jacuzzi in the balcony which was filthy and the shower also on the balcony was filthy. The owner said these need to be cleaned but no such action occured. We had no hot water and each tine I asked the owner about this he kept saying there is hot water. We used bottled water at the sink to brush our teeth as there was no running water from there at all. There was a big group of people staying there and they were playing music very loudly I asked them to turn it down which they did for a while after which we were given cold stares by a female member staying there. We did not feel comforatble. Then at about 2am the group came back and appeared very drunk and had music on full blast for most of the night. The next day I spoke to the owner and said I do not wish to extend my stay here. He said he did not hear any music. Oddlly enough his room was next to the place where the stereo was!! He accepted that we wished to move on and agreed to refund the deposit. I explained I don't where where we will be staying and he said we can call him and his son will deliver the money but then said it will be easier to do it by transfer. He seemed sincere enough. Later when I e-mailed him regarding this he said he does not know what I am talking about and asked me to refer to the contract regarding the deposit. I e-mailed him back asking him why he bothered to lie about refunding. I could have accepted it if he just said he can't refund it but the eloborate lie he told was wierd. Then I got an e- mail from his son saying that his father did'nt tell us he will refund the money. I told him to keep the depsit and not to cntact me again. I appreciate this is a family run business but they had no appreciateion that we were paying guests. If you want a back packers hostel you can find cheaper alternatives to this so called hotel or guest house or whatever it is. We contineued our stay at Eclipse on Bastimentos Isle. Pure bliss and payed less $80 a night. It was a beautiful place. I booked Bahia Del Sol on advise from trip advisor but obviously standards at this "hotel have dropped.

• Disliked — management
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank Charlie67
bosstone, Owner and person referred to as Son in review at Bahia Del Sol, responded to this review, 15 October 2008
First off our home is very clean and very nice with daily maid service.

During the time that this couple stayed at our hotel our hot water system was only working about 50% of the time.

The women claimed she needed to wash her hair 3 times a day and this would not work for her.

We live on a island where water is not very abundant and we do all we can to conserve water.

I did refund this couple there money and the fact that they lied about this is very disturbing. Then even sent me a e-mail saying they did not want a refund after I had already sent it to their credit card and they then continued to call my father deaf, and dumb for not hearing the music that they heard.

I am sorry they did not get along with our other guests but all they had to do was ask us nicely and we could have spoken to them. We are far from a hostel and provide the most beautiful rooms in the most beautiful house in Bocas Del Toro.

We do state on our website that water is scarce on this island and our home as well as every other hotel in Bocas Del Toro has to conserve water. We state this online so people understand that part of living on a island is making sure you conserve water and sometimes things you take for granted int he States or in Europe are a bit different here in Bocas.

Please feel free to call us with any questions or read about our property online at our website.
claremont, ca.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2007

I came to stay with Marni and Lawrence in March of 2006..A much needed vacation and I have to say I have yet to experience another as sublime. Marni and Lawrence are the most hospitable hosts I've encountered. I was greeted with warm smiling faces and homemade chips and salsa accompanied by an ice cold rum cocktail. I was escorted to my room upstairs overlooking the ocean. The decore is warm and welcoming with a "zen-like" feel and all the accomodations of home. The meals are prepared with care and love, and were always delightful and delicious ....
Lawrence is the perfect guide to a first time vistor. His knowledge of the beautiful clear warm caribbean ocean, ideal for swimming, and night time hot spots, as well as daytime activities are extensive....
Comfort and wellbeing is theme of the entire stay at Bahia Del Sol....dinners and the night life and the local people were something I've never experienced, so full of fun and excitement! It was hard to leave and I can't wait to go back.
Dianna Villalpando

Stayed March 2006
4 Thank luci13
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2007

This was unquestionably one of the best vacations I have ever taken. If you are looking for a restful getaway that will recharge and invigorate you, this is the place to go - a little slice of paradise that offers a heaping dose of serenity. Tastefully decorated, and impeccably maintained, each of the five spotless rooms (all with private baths) were uniquely appointed, boasting rich colors and textures, and lacquered hardwoods from floor to ceiling. The view of Saigon bay from my bedroom deck was nothing short of stunning and our hosts went out of their way to ensure my every need was met.

A short boat ride or a 50 cent cab hop will take you to a friendly, charming community where you can enjoy a fresh, sumptuous meal; or kick off your shoes and dance in the sand at the local pubs and clubs (some of them right on the beach).

Stayed April 2006
7 Thank Ecloned
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2006

We meant to stay at the Bahia Del Sol for 3 days, and ended up staying 5. The house is beautiful and well decorated and the owners are wonderful. We felt like we were staying with friends rather than at a hotel... dont pass up Marni's pina coladas!

• Stayed January 2006
#4 of 22 in Isla Colon
Panama's Paradise Saigoncito
Panama's Paradise Saigoncito
#2 of 41 in Bocas Town

Been to Bahia Del Sol? Share your experiences!