“Condo”

Bocas Condos
Calgary
“Condo”
Reviewed 20 June 2012

I stayed in the Bocas Condos for four weeks. My condo is a studio unit in a fairly new 3-storey building with full kitchen, queen size bed, air conditioning in addition to a ceiling fan, and private bath with hot water. I got maid service once a week. It is centrally located, one and a half blocks from the main street, with its restaurants and grocery stores that open till 12 midnight. The building is surrounded by dwellings of local people with kids playing in the street, giving me some flavor of local life. It could be noisy, but by 9 or 10 at night, it would be all quiet. The management was very responsive to what I needed. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Laval, Canada
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I have never wrote any review on any hotel (around 30) we've been. Most of them have been good, some excellent and some bad. But this one has been exceptionally disappointing.

Pros:

- 1 minute walk from the main street.
- Nice garden
- Looks clean from the outside
- Beautiful building

Cons:
- Our room was not cleaned after the previous occupants, they only changed towels (which were very old, with mold and holes), that was discusting.
- Located in a residential area where locals are very noisy, day and night. Roosters will wake you up at 5 AM and dogs barking all night 50 feet from our room.
- 10-20 young men hanging out all night (7 consecutive nights) making noise right next door.
- Barbed-wire fence all around the condos....don't know what to think about that.
- Little to no service. No room service, no more towels, 1 toilet paper roll and soap, you need to buy your own after that Magda said! Talking about Magda, I should mention she was one hour late when we arrived, so we had to wait for her. We actually saw the previous occupants leave, so she rushed just to change the towels and we were in. She is never in the office but she lives on the other side of the street. She did nothing for us on the week we stayed. Both of us had turista for 3 days and she never offered to help us in any way. What I will remember of her is when we left, she was on the phone and she just showed her hand to get the key, not even looking at us. We never complained about a thing during our stay, we asked for a towel one time, and always been polite and smiling.
- Wi-Fi just works outside in front of the building, not in the room neither just outside the room.
- The wall behind the bed was covered of mold spots which they tried to cover with red paint.
- The air conditioner drips water on your pillows so you have to pull the bed away from the wall.
- Really bad smell in the kitchen cabinets. Very little cookware and utensils, can't really cook. What they had looked like it was used, rinsed with water and stored. Everything was greasy and messy. No cleaning products, no rag, no soap for the dishes. Maybe that's why it wasn't clean!
- We had no electricity for many hours, three consecutive days in our stay because the city electricity plant was new and they had problems. That's not a big problem BUT No electricity=no water in these condos! Can't use the toilet, sink, or shower. They should at least have a generator for the water pump. That a non-sense.
- The oven didn't work. Didn't try to hard to make it work since it was an homemade connection the a gas tank in the cabinets................
- Oh I forgot to mention JIM, the owner or manager. We made the reservation with him and my credit card was charged. A few weeks after that, I received an e-mail from him: HI JUST CHECKING IF YOU WILL NEED THAT UNIT THANKS JIM.

Please don't encourage them, go anywhere else. I really don't undertand the good reviews they got on Tripadvisor. Maybe things have changed since the last review wasn't that good.

Recommend hotels: Hotel Palma Royale and Hotel Olas in town or La Carolina and Tesoro Escondido near Playa Bluff, a 10 minutes ride by taxi from town.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank travel1234155029
Vancouver, B.C.
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Bocas Condos offers one a suite with kitchen, air conditioned, satellite TV that includes BBC World, CNN and even Deutsche Welle (DW-TV), plus Internet access, but the actual state of each suite varies somewhat. Compared with other condos that have such facilities it is relatively inexpensive, a value for your buck.

The first suite I was in on the ground floor, suite #3, was on the noisiest side where local neighbors partied a lot in the tradition of what Bocas del Toro is generally like, and around February carnaval times, you can multiply the noise tenfold from blarring sound systems, whips on sticks smashed on pavement that sound like firecrackers, and the real fireworks (besides the holoring that happens anytime). You are just a block from the Simon de Bolivar Park on Calle 4, in the midst of town, so there's no nearby beach, but restaurants and local grocery stores and other all-purpose stores abound. Suite #3 had hardly any kitchen utensils and the cooking ware looked like it came from a refugee camp. One time the airconditioner dripped a lot of water right onto my pillows, so it was sleeping that night without them. I could not use my laptop inside the suite because the WiFi signal was too weak. But you could sit right outside the suite by a table and there it worked fine, esp. when a floor lamp appeared there the second day I was there so I could read the keyboard after dark. It was hot though!

The second suite at 1 level up (the building has 3 levels) was #14, less noisy side facing an empty lot, anbetter equipped, with a breeze coming through from two sides. Kitchen cooking utensils looked okay and there were enough plates, cups, etc for 2. I was impressed how cool it was in this suite without even running the air conditioner and opening the windows. The ventilation at this level plus the concrete structure made it so. Unfortunately not all windows had screens and some blinds lacked the adjuster stick so you got to stretch for exercise to reach the blind adjusting. I felt good about not consuming so much energy, runnig the AC much less often than in #13.

The best thing I can say about Bocas Condos is the person who managed it, Magda, fluently bilingual (English & Spanish), always smilling, within reach by a single cell phone call each time I needed her, and trying to meet all of my needs while child minding several kids. Once, when I lost another habitacion by an unscrupulous owner who simply rented out my paid cabin to another party when I went off on a week-end, Magda offered me comfort and found me a suite at Bocas Condos immediately, which is why I adopted her as my hermana de coracon (sister of the heart).

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the second or third floor. I experienced several power failures in Bocas, one f...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank juergs
Exmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Stayed here for 2 weeks and really enjoyed our time here. The location is great, just 2 blocks back from Main Street so you dont get any noise from the town. supermarket across the road or at the end of the block, restaurants,tours, everything is a couple of minutes walk away. Magda the manager is very helpfull and nice even though she seems a bit scary at first she is not at all!! We had to stay in 1 apartment for the first night then move to another the next day, both were the same but the one we moved to did not have as much stuff in the kitchen so she let us take whatever we needed from one apartment to the other. As for the apartments, they are a great size(we were in a studio which for 2 people is plenty big enough). they are all modern, well decorated and furnished, with a very comfortable queen bed, lazy boy type arm chairs(which my husband hated to move from), a big kitchen with fridge,oven,hob, coffee machine and all the other bits you need, a lovely bathroom with the hotest water ever that does not run out!! This is not like a hotel, you will not get your room cleaned or bins emptied or any tour advice,etc it is a condo building, but Magda will help if you need anything and change the sheets and towels if you ask. The price was the best bit, its cheaper than any of the hotels and some of the hostels if you are a couple and staying longer than a few days. Do it through the website and its a great weekly price, $250 in peak season is not bad between 2 people!! Supermarkets are everywhere so you can eat in and cook great stuff! Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Canada
Reviewed 28 December 2011

We visited Bocas in September and had a one bedroom condo on the second floor. It is a walk up, so expect that.

The room was decent, all cooking implements we needed were there, as well as linens, etc. There was a pull out couch in the living room, and we had lots of television stations, not that we wanted to stay in the room much. Price was great for a one bedroom suite!

The furnishings and decor were a little strange, but workable. The bathroom was in decent shape and pretty clean. I was a little disappointed that our unit smelled of stale cigarette smoke, but it was fine, we aired it out a bit and it improved a lot.

Something we discovered was almost impossible to find in Bocas is fresh fish to cook! We wouldn't have expected so much trouble on an island with so many fisherman, but that was how it was.

We went on a snorkeling trip that also took us to the Red Frog Beach, for about $10 a person. Just go down to the docks and speak to one of the boys down there, and they should be able to find you something very well priced!

The location of Bocas Condos was great, just a few blocks out of the heart of town. Felt very safe, even walking at night.

Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2011

My wife and I stayed in Bocas Condos for the last 11 days of a year long round the world trip. The studio apartment we had was excellent, plenty big enough for 2 people without feeling crowded, and furnished to a high standard. The location is also perfect, being pretty much exactly in the middle of Bocas Town, making anything and everything less than 5 minutes walk away.

The manager was extremely helpful, and when we rained an issue with a few minor things being broken, they were replaced and repaired very quickly. They also indulged our request for plastic chairs so we could sit outside which they didn't need to do. It's worth mentioning that there seems to be two separate companies each managing some of the flats in the Bocas Condos building, the one we used was Island Property Management at this website:

Overall, the entire experience was excellent, and highly recommended.

Room Tip: The one bedroom apartments looked massive, and the studios were perfectly comfortable, so don't...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank michaelaston
Unfortunately Milwaukee
Reviewed 31 July 2010

Our stay at Bocas Condos was extremely comfortble! The bilingual yet local staff were able to orient us to the best of Bocas that only a local would know. The hospitality left us feeling independent to come and go as we wished, yet was always available to provide guidance or find an extra big pot for my mother in law's almohabanas colombianas in our "apartment kitchen". In Bocas you will appreciate the cool and cleanliness that Bocas Condos offers as many other accomodations have suffered in years of humidity. Bocas Condos is close to everything, just two blocks from John's Bakery (highly recommended) and the grocery store. One more block ahead and you will get to the dock for a water taxi wherever you like. Speak with Magda at Bocas Condos about our fantstic Water Taxi Guide Alvaro Machuca. After Bocas we went on to Costa Rica and I can tell you that Bocas is by far one of the superior spots to visit in Central America both for its natural beauty, the humility of it's people and the ease of travel. I want to thank James and Magda for making our stay feel like home and for the friendship! We wish you much luck and many new visitors. Si dios quiere regresamos algun dia!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family