“Here you can get memories that can last forever!...”

Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa
Reviewed 5 January 2012

My boyfriend and I having this SUPER rest on Red Frog beach will never forget this place! And we will definitely come again next time! This INCREDIBLE place with the PERFECT balance of rest and activities cannot leave you cold-hearted! Once you are there you want to come again and again!..
Great modern villas are super comfortable and looking through them we chose this ideal one (Villa 13 what is really the luckiest!). You feel like at HOME (having everything you can need and even more) and ... once you leave your villa you are a part of NATURE hanging out in these unbelievably awesome jungles! I am sure you will enjoy picturesque view in any part of the island (either inside villa where we for example had huge windows and our swimming-pool was right on the edge of hill (!!!) or outside where you are surrounded by Beauty of our Mother-earth!). Indescribable impression! Adorable nature... Really great Red Frog and Tortilla beaches... Hiking... Zip lines... Horse riding... Bout tours... Interesting nearby areas.. We also were at Dolphin "zone" enjoying their "hanging out" in the water... visiting a Cacao farm and - for those who like chocolate - can visit this family who cook awesome chocolate Brownie and truffles prepared with organic cacao beans! :) Besides all the food is great! And there not only service itself but that people are naturally super kind, open-minded and nice!
Oh men! I can write a lot! Really adorable land!...
If you want to have UNFORGETTABLE impressions from your rest then Red Frog beach is the place what you have to visit! Believe me - it is REALLY worth it! :)

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa

Reviewed 28 December 2011

Our kids were 8 and 10 when we visited Red Frog. I can honestly say that they will fondly remember this vacation forever. It was a great adventure. From the plane ride to Bocas, the boat ride to Bastimientos, Zip Lining, Snorkeling, and truly enjoying nature with very little human interference, my kids would go back any day. We've ziplined before and Red Frog's line is world class. The staff was so friendly and made us all feel so comfortable. My favorite days were the day we went snorkeling and finished up at Zapatillo island -- so beautiful the picture of the kids made it to our Holiday card this year (and we travel a lot!). The overall value is fantastic. You get a lot for your money. The villas are absolutely fabulous - a great place to "go home to" after a full day of activities. My only heads up is that this is an adventure type vacation... but if you're headed out that way, I'm assuming that's what you're looking for. We'll definitely go back

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Erika P
Reviewed 29 November 2011

It is always hard to please everyone's taste with family vacations. I can guarantee everyone in every family will feel this is the best vacation ever. It has luxury villas to satisfy the pampered traveler and more activities you can do in one vacation for the outdoor lover. The beach is beautiful, the food is great (both on and off Red Frog Beach), and there is so much to do. One great feature is the price. You will not find this type of accommodation at this price anywhere. Activities are so much cheaper then places like Hawaii and are not tourist traps. The food, water and environment was extremely safe for our kids who are both under 7 years old. North American kids need to see places that are not destroyed by large corporate travel outfits.

Room Tip: Villas close to the beach are the best (Villa 62)
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank David D
Reviewed 27 September 2011

This place was amazing and much better than I expected. I did a lot of research before I went and these beaches were said to be the best in Panama. The beaches were fantastic and even better than I anticipated. There were a few beaches to visit and only one of the beaches had anyone on it. So we felt like we had the beaches to ourselves and it felt very relaxing. The Villa we stayed in was very nice with a view that was incredible (again, better than I expected).

I also appreciated that the person who booked our trip was very upfront about this place not being totally finished. There were some unpaved roads and some unfinished roads but for the price (about $350/night for 7 of us, $50/night per person). I would imagine that they would increase prices when the place is totally done.

I have never written a review before but this place was unique and better than advertised.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jm12345678j
Reviewed 27 September 2011

The most impressive thing about Red Frog is the amount of stuff to do there. I am not the kind of person to just sit and lounge on vacation and Red Frog was perfect for a guy like me. The zip line, the trails, the cave tour, the dolphin tour, the fishing, snorkeling and the ping pong, all made for fun days. We also went out to some keys on a little sailboat excursion that was awesome.

The best thing about it was that it was all very affordable. In fact, I thought they had made a mistake when they rented me snorkel gear for $8. If you want to get a lot for your money and a lot of "experience" out of your vacation, this was a great place.

"Never been to a place with so much to do"

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Robert G
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I've never written a review before, but this place was so great that it's only fair that I take the time to tell others about it.

We found Red Frog by chance, surfing the web just two days before the beginning of our vacations (4 days). It looked good on the web, the zipline sounded like a nice activity, so we (my wife, two our our kids and I) decided to go. Upon arrival, which was very well coordinated by the administration team (airport pickup, taxi, water-taxi, etc.), we realized that it was even better than what we expected. The villa (number 26, a 3 bedroom unit) was, in a word, spectacular. Very well equipped, everything spotless, comfortable, spacious, etc. The view from the terrace (rain forest and the beach) is breathtaking. And the private pool... amazing.

We took the advice from their website and rented a golf cart. It's definitely worth it, since our villa was up the hill, about half a mile from everything. You should buy groceries in Bocas before taking the water-taxi to Bastimentos Island (where the rresort is located). The kitchen in the villa is well equipped, we cooked our breakfasts and diners, and only had lunch in the restaurants.

We had never tried a canopy tour before: you have to do it, it's exhilarating, a lot of fun. It takes about two hours. It's very safe, but it might be a bit frightening for kids under 12. Also, book a tour with the water-taxi that takes you from Bocas to Bastimentos. It takes a whole day: you go look for dolphins, snorkel in coral reefs, have lunch in a restaurant over the water, and go to Isla Zapatilla, where a season of Survivor was shot. I'm told that in december the waves are good for surfing.

There are several beaches in Bastimentos. We went to Red Frog Beach, where one of the two restaurants of the resort is located, and also to Turtle Beach, which is close by. Turtle beach is less crowded (actually, there was NOONE else when we went there!). Avoid going to the beaches before noon, if you don't want to be eaten alive by the mosquitoes.

The only problem we encountered was that because our villa was so new, the water in the pipes was smelly at the beginning. After letting it run for half an hour, it was fine.

They have a spa, but we didn't have enough time to go and check it out.

The logistics, the service, the location, the villas, the sights, the activities, and yes, even the price (!!): everything was excellent. I most definitely recommend Red Frog Beach Resort and Villas.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Fabien S
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Arriving to Bocas was like traveling back in time where the simple things become that much more beautiful. No stuffy crowds here, simply natural beauty with humble people doing their best to please us travelers. This is not your typical resort area where everything is manicured to perfection nor are the locals trained in customer service at a Ritz Carlton in West Palm Beach. If you are looking for that stay in the US. If you are looking for a return to nature and good quality non-pretentious people this is the place to be. Red Frog was absolutely beautiful. The villas were top notch and very comfortable (American style). Zip lining was excellent and their staff were very knowledgeable and focused on safety.
Overall I would recommend this destination and resort to all my friends and family. A few thing to think about is that one should get to Bocas on the early flight to have enough time to buy some groceries in the island before going to Red Frog. Although there are two restaurants to purchase food in Red Frog, it takes a golf cart ride to get there and they close at 6pm or so. Also the golf cart rental is a must, it is the best way to get around and see the sights. Also buy good mosquito repellant, remember this is a resort within an untouched tropical jungle. Night time belongs to the natural insects of the area. I take the relaxed atmosphere of this environment and the adventure over the manicured resorts any day. Will most definitely return but for at least 4 to 5 days to explore the whole area!

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Punta Caracol Acqua Lodge
#4 of 20 in Isla Colon
Popa Paradise Beach Resort
Playa Tortuga Hotel & Beach Resort

Been to Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!