All reviews private pool golf cart punta lava red frog zip lining water taxi full kitchen luxury villa canopy tour washer and dryer la rosa jungle village playa tortuga panama city beach bar per day capuchin monkeys
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Awesome place to stay; as we will be going back every year. If Beach living is what you're looking for this is the place to go. The Villas are great with each having it's own infinity pool, Direct TV and Wireless internet.
Do go grocery shopping on Bocas to get snacks beverages to stock your fridge, because there is not much to buy on Bastimentos where Red Frog is located, but you can buy spirits, water and soda from them.
Breakfast is included at the Beach bar Punta Lava. Lunches are easy and would recommend the fish tacos, fresh and resonably priced. Dinners are very good as well as there is a wide variety from homemade pasta, a whole snapper or even a Beef filet which was excellent.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I spent 4 days at the Red Frog Beach resort - at villa number 8 and so enjoyed my stay. Private pool where I could enjoy swimming without being disrupted, luxury villa and the huge kitchen. I loved preparing my own dinners there and I usually do not like cooking at all. I am a huge nature lover so waking up to the noise of the jungle was amazing, and then all the butterflies, humming birds and flowers around! I even had bananas growing right next to my pool. Plus, driving a golf cart around was part of the adventure, especially after the rain as the roads got all muddy, so much fun. I also walked along the Turtle beach a lot and did spend some time at the famous Red Frog beach too sipping on my favorite coconut water. Ah, and get a massage at the Susurro spa, the spa is right in the jungle, so cool! Ludo, my therapist, was so good at what he was doing and I left like a brand-new person. All the other staff working at Red Frog was super helpful, thumbs up. And if you are up for adventure, go do the the Sky Canopy Tour. It was one of the best ziplines I've ever done, and I do zipline everywhere I go :)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Crazysexyfuntraveler
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Let's just say that Red Frog Beach was so captivating that we extended our 2 day stay to 5 days.
This is definitely the perfect place for friends and large groups. Our 4 br villa was more than enough for us 4 girls. It was pure heaven to be able to wake up, walk out to our balcony and watch the sunrise over the water, or quickly dive into our private pool. The only drawback was the quality of soap in the villa, but luckily, we learned that the wife of the man who gave us the horseback riding tour, was now supplying the villas with her organic soaps!

As others have mentioned, getting around without a golf cart, is pointless. We were shocked to see people footing it, even in the dark. The roads are unpaved, gravelly, full of potholes, not to mention there are absolutely no lights!

Overall the staff was incredible. Willie in the front office made our stay 99% of what it was! He's hilarious and sweet. I agree, that the staff at the two restaurants were hit or miss. There is virtually no quality control, seeing as how ordering the same thing two or three times yielded wildly different results. Also, you never knew if you would be able to get your order in a timely fashion as the front hostess/waitress would quickly "forget" our orders, and then offer little to no apology. Forget a courtesy smile! Save for those experiences, the overall stay was something you MUST do if you visit Bocas.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lizzy O
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We needed to escape this horrible winter, so we booked a room in villa 29 for a 3 night stay, which is high up the hill overlooking the Caribbean. The unit had an infinity pool with stunning views and beautiful flora all around. The owners unit was above the room we rented on the main level that had sliding glass doors that opened right out to the patio and pool area- very nice. The owner, Chris, was basically invisible- we met him only a couple of times- very nice guy. He was respectful of our space we felt like we had the entire place to ourselves. The unit was clean and spacious- King bed with double vanity, etc. Towels and a coffee maker were provided and one inclusion was breakfast each morning at one of the two restaurants on the property. This would be the extent of the amenities. Other than that, I would not refer to this place as a resort- anything else you want, you pay extra for- if it works out.

The services are unreliable here. We booked a snorkeling trip and when we went to meet the boat on time to take us out- the desk person said they'd already left or there was a mixup and they never came? What happened wasn't clear, but the bottom line is the tour didn't happen as planned. We ended up hiring our own boat guide to take us out, so in the end it worked out- but only because we took the initiative to make it happen. The attention to detail is seriously lacking. When we approached William who booked the trip the day prior- rather than aplogizing or accepting any responsibilty, he was somewhat defensive and insisted he had made the proper arrangements- not the way to handle it.

In the end- we enjoyed ourselves- as we usually do by making the most of a situation. We discovered some wonderful beaches, hiking trails and met some nice people. After all of this, we would not hurry back or highly recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dendau67
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Okay so let me be real...the only thing that was paradise about this stay was the island itself and our villa. The amenties on the island were okay. First, in order to access all the amenities, you'll need to rent a golf cart! It's a necessity. There is no other way that you'll be able to navigate the compound in a timely fashion, if you decided to foot-it and not purchase a golf cart. However, even with a golf cart, the roads are unpaved and feels like you're doing off-road driving. You'll really have to hold on for dear life.

Our villa was a 2-story, 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bathroom, lavished home, which was fully furnished with everything from furniture, to a washer and dryer, and even houseware items (pots, plates, silverware, etc). We even had a small pool that over looked the island and beach. The stay was so peaceful and serene. The resort truly attempted to be accomodating in every way possible. The staff was beyond helpful, friendly, attentive.

The resturants were.............okay. For some reason the food and service varied between the morning, afternoon, and the night staff. The afternoon staff was the worst. The waitress/cashier had an attitude, would forget to bring out the orders, and our additional request for condiments. If we ordered fish and chips the night before and ordered it for lunch the following day, it would look and taste completely different from the night before.

Overall, I give the resort a A-/B+! The friendly, affable staff, and the amazing villa is what saved this rating.

Room Tip: The compound is very large and it would behoove you to rent a golf cart , other wise you'll have to walk everywhere and some of the resturants/amenties are at least a mile or two away from the villas (depending on where your villa is located).
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends