“Not what we were expecting.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa

and 1 more site!
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa
Los Angeles, California
“Not what we were expecting.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

Think of a gated community in the US that is half built and in the jungle and you'll get the idea. Sadly it seems that no one purchased enough homes so now they'e trying to make it a "resort".
Were the beaches great and the jungle beautiful? No doubt! But there are better places to stay in the area if you're on vacation. There is painfully little infrastructure that one would expect at a "resort". The roads were half built and because it's a development the distances that need to be covered between your villa (actually a full blown vacation home) are vast. You can indeed rent a golf cart for extra $$'s which is a must and quite fun but they don't really tell you this. Many of the roads are dirt/ mud with big hills and no lights so just going to dinner would be a hour hike in the dark. There is only one restaurant. The owners were new and were making a go of it. It was also a fun place to hang but not without it's issues. The menu was limited (but good) and things like breakfast were a bit inconsistent as to whether or not someone would even show up.
The "villas" do have full kitchens and if they would let you know in advance you could show up having shopped for groceries in Bocas town. We weren't expecting to have to self cater and weren't there long enough to make it worth taking a water taxi back to town to get supplies.
Other annoyances were that when we showed up in Bocas town and went to their office to sort things out and get a water taxi over to the island no one was there. Mind you it was in the middle of the day during regular business hours. They just took the afternoon off.
After a few phone calls (to a call center in the USA) we got the info on what water taxi to take and we managed to get the very last one over to the resort. On arrival it all seemed a little confused about what we had booked and it turns out that they were going to put us in a "shared villa". What this means in plain english is that you will be staying in a vacation home with someone else that you don't know. You will have a bedroom and they will have a bedroom and all the common areas in the house are to be shared....weird!!
If you want a vacation home to rent with family or friends in a beautiful part of the world where you mostly fend for yourselves then this is a great option and a great deal.
If you're looking for a luxury resort/ lodge with amenities to match then look elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LAStu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

My stay at Red Frog was top notch from start to finish. The beauty of the surrounding area is truly amazing, bocas has such a great set of small islands and I love the water taxis from town and to and from restaurants. Red Frog beach is one of the nicest I have ever been to, hands down. The Punta Lava restaurant food is truly exquisite and their drinks are great too! My 3 year old loved riding around in the golf cart and all of the wildlife. While we were there we saw monkeys 2 different times (about 8 monkeys or so), sloths (and a baby one), red frogs, large toads, amazing birds, and even a hermit crab that he played with all afternoon. The Villas are incredible and I loved just having lunch, going for a swim in the pool and sitting outside reading my book and then the next day going on an amazing adventure! Can't say enough good things about this vacation, this place has it all! I will definitely be back and am telling everyone how amazing this place is. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: The villas are soooo worth it.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Philly_Stek
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

This has been one of the best destinations I have ever traveled to!From the moment you arrive at Bocas Airport,its one new experience after another.Eventhough you know you are going to visit an island,it's kinda cool to have to get a boat across.Once there this place is amazing!
From the quirky way of getting about(your own private golf car)to the lovely relaxing beachside restaurant and your own pool at your villa pure bliss.After two days we hit the zip line,another totally different experience,whizzing past monkeys at tree top has to be a rare event in ones life and terrifying and exhilarating at the same time.On our final evening ,we had a massage on the balcony of our villa,overlooking the ocean and listening to Parrots and woodpeckers was special and is oftebn remembered with great fondness and dare I say longing in Irelands cold,dark,winter.
Red Frog comes highly recommended and I for look forward to a return visit in the not too distant future.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 501patrickj
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

My stay at Red Frog Beach resort was wonderful! I felt like I was in paradise. I went with a group of friends to attend a wedding. We stayed in a 3 bedroom villa. The villas are amazing! It's like you're staying in a very fancy house surrounded by jungle and beach. I think you definitely get your money's worth for the type of place you're staying in. The people at the resort were all very friendly and helpful. There's amazing wildlife on the island-we spotted monkeys, sloths, beautiful birds, iguanas, and cute island dogs. The activities are really fun and the beaches are gorgeous. I recommend signing up for the outings like ziplining/snorkeling etc. We went on a great one to some of the nearby islands to go snorkeling and eat and go dolphin watching!
TIPS:
1. Be sure to rent a golf cart if you can (do it beforehand) because you'll use that to get around the island. You can walk, but it gets very hot there and the golf cart is just easier. Also, it is VERY dark at night so you likely won't want to walk through the forest/jungle to the restaurants or beaches after dark. We weren't sure if we would use it when booking because we're in good shape--and then we did ALL THE TIME. Get one!
2. Buy groceries/beer/wine etc. in Bocas Town before you come to the island. There isn't a grocery store on Isla Bastimientos. The closest you'll get is at Kayukos (a cafeteria/recreation type restaurant), where they have a small store. You'll have a great big kitchen in your villa so it's fun to be able to have your kitchen stocked. If you forget you can take one of the ferry boats. There are two restaurants on the island which we ate at a lot Kayukos (cost effective) and Punta Lava (Nice but more expensive) so you can also easily eat there all the time if you don't bring food.
3. Buy BUG SPRAY in Bocas Town! There are lots of bugs and mosquitos. We wore bug spray every day, multiple times a day. I think they also sell some bug spray at Kayukos restaurant.

This place is amazing. It takes planes and boat rides to get here but my friends and I would definitely go back. Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank CKGTraveler
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

Red Frog was great all around. I went for 2 weeks in January, and was so rejuvenated to take on the new year when I got home! I loved taking a boat to the island, I loved the vibe at the resort's restaurants, I loved the private beaches... I loved the tour and adventure options - I treated myself and went horseback riding, cave exploring, and ziplining. I also went on one of the resort kayak tours, when the guide kayaked with my sister and me to nearby Bastimentos, and climbed to the top of the hill for delicious homemade chocolate. Stayed at a villa, and was very happy with that entire aspect of the experience as well. I also had a blast exploring Bocas del Toro - the restaurants along the water, the little shops along the walk to/from the airport, the natural foods store. Overall, I was very happy I chose Red Frog - it's not cookie cutter, and you can tell a lot of thought has gone into making it such a relaxing place. Wish I could go back!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bonnie E
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

This is the undiscovered paradise that you have been looking for. This place is magical. I have vacationed the world over but I have never found anything close to Red Frog Beach. I would encourage anyone who wants something special and not another "Walmart" to visit . You will be amazed!

Room Tip: Every Villa come with a pool and an unbelievable ocean view. The villas are first class with marbl...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 870Dave
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

I have been to Red Frog Beach Resort a few times and cant get enough of it. The villa is beautiful with a private pool, tv, internet and the most incredible view imaginable. The golf cart allows you to explore many parts of the island whenever you want at your own convenience. Punta Lava was a wonderful restaurant on the beach if you dont want to leave Red Frog, however going into Bocas town on a water taxi was a fun way to explore new restaurants and cuisine. Turtle Beach was even better than I remembered and both beaches arent crowded, it felt like I was on my own private island. The day before we left we saw white faced monkeys along with sloths and red frogs! Kayukas Island Lounge also had a mellow vibe with ping pong, movies and delicious food. Red Frog is great for anybody. So many options- you can surf, relax, lay on the beach or explore. I've stayed at hotels in Bocas town before and highly recommend Red Frog Beach Resort over the other hostels and hotels nearby. Paradise at a cheap price and you will keep coming back for more..

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Popa Paradise Beach Resort
Azul Paradise
Azul Paradise
#5 of 17 in Isla Bastimentos

Been to Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!