“Absolutely fantastic Rainforest Retreat”

La Loma Jungle Lodge and Chocolate Farm
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Edmonton, Canada
“Absolutely fantastic Rainforest Retreat”
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I am a solo traveller and I stayed at La Loma for 4 nights in January. This was hands down the best experience I had in my two week Panama vacation and it is probably the best experience I have had in all my tropical vacations. Although it is said to rain a lot in Bocas, I lucked out and had a totally rainfree stay.

The owners Henry and Margaret have created an amazing eco-lodge experience and they are truly such nice and interesting people. The staff was also very welcoming and helpful. I loved my cabin (#2) which was simple but beautifully appointed. Lying in the hammock, listening to the wildlife and looking out over the water was what a relaxing retreat is all about. On top of that, the three meals a day were so fresh, tasty and healthy. Meals are served at a communal table in the main lodge and I really enjoyed the evening meals and cocktails in the company of Henry, Brie, Jack and other guests at a communal table (unfortunately Margaret was sick most of the time I was there). This was a great opportunity for me to meet and talk to many interesting people from all over the world. During the day there are a number of trips one can go on, and my favorite was the two days I went snorkelling. The soft coraland sea creatures in the area is amazing. We also drove our boat around "sloth Island"(uninhabited except for lots of sloths) where we were able to see many of these fascinating animals. Seeing a sloth was a goal of my trip to Panama so sloth island was like hitting the jackpot! Oh, and it was a real treat to see the tiny little red frogs outside my cabin everyday.

If you love peace and quiet, superb natural beauty, good food, and great people, I urge you to go to La Loma Lodge. I know that I already want to go back, especiialy since it is mid March here in Edmonton and we just got another foot of snow!

Room Tip: Cabin number two has beautiful view of the water
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank LaurenLGarcia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 9 March 2013

our panama tour was one week. panama city, boquete & bocas del toro. we only spent 2 nights at la loma & if we had it to do over again we probably would have deleted most of our time in boquete & replaced it with la loma. beautiful property. truly in the jungle w/open air cottages & effective insect controll. the sounds of the jungle were soothing. slept very deeply. food was fabulous & more than plentiful. accessible only by boat with no roads on the island. private feel. remote
was supposed to be the dry season. oh well
would go back in a heartbeat

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank michael a
Hoboken, NJ
Reviewed 6 March 2013

My friend and I stayed here for 3 nights, and I really wish we stayed here during our entire Bocas journey. Henry and Margaret are lovely hosts, and have really put such warm touches on their magnificent eco-lodge. The views from the cabins are so magnificent, you are truly surrounded by nature! They do have running water, lights, fans, and mosquito nets, so you are well protected and very comfortable in your cabin. Every morning, a tray filled with coffee, tea, and a homemade muffin is brought to your door. That way, you can enjoy your daily dose of caffeine before you head down to the main lodge for breakfast.
The main lodge has a long, family-style table, where all of the guest sits and converse during meals. The meals are all fresh, homemade, and out-of-this-world delicious. Bree and her fellow chefs really outdid themselves each night - amazing!
The beds are comfortable, the tours are terrific. Henry and Margaret work with local men and women who really know the lands, the jungles, and they were able to point out some wildlife that we otherwise may not have seen.
A very warm and fun-loving sense of community at the Eco-Lodge. A must if you visit Bocas del Toro.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
South Orange, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 March 2013

The four nights we recently spent cocooned above the jungle in our cabin at La Loma were quite magical and the absolute highlight of our time in Panama. We travel all over the world with our two young children and seek out the most unique, off the beaten track eco-lodges. From our hammocks above the trees we spotted a mother sloth entwined with her one month old baby, a multitude of birds and one gigantic iguana draped over one of the highest branches. The children counted more than a dozen poison dart frogs on their marches up and down all the steps from our cabin and took turns each morning bringing in the tray left outside our door with coffee and freshly baked muffins. We arrived at La Loma in the pouring rain, shivering and wet, and the warmth of our welcome set the tone for our stay as it is the generous and impeccable hospitality that really sets this place apart as well as the incredible quality of the food. Anything that can be grown here will be, from turmeric and ginger to indigenous leafy greens and cacao. Coconut milk is made daily, as are the baked goods which included Johny cakes, pita bread and damper during our visit. Cacao nibs are scattered over the homemade coconut granola for breakfast and the papaya or pineapple juice has just been made with fruit from the garden. This is as local and sustainable as it gets. Dinners included green papaya salad, Keralan fish curry, passionfruit pudding and chocolate cake with a surinam cherry coulis. A packed lunch to the beautiful and dramatic Polo beach included white bean falafels, grated carrot, cumin and ginger salad and tzatziki decanted into a pretty glass bottle. You will not find one shortcut taken at La Loma. This is the real deal...

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank megan w
United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Stayed here for 3 days and had a very good time. The view from our house was magnificent and we could see birds, humming birds and monkeys from the terrace. Had no problems sleeping althiugh the jungle is not completely quiet at night. Jack and Bree who runs the place were wonderful hosts, the rest of the staff was great too

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2013

We were taken by Margaret's and Henry's idea of an eco-lodge, living and working with nature and trying to minimise the impact of tourism to preserve the beautiful and sensitive environment.
We arrived on Isla Bastimentos with high expectations, they were not only met, it went far beyond!
We spent 3 nights in cabin 2, spent hours just sitting in the lodge and enjoying the spectacular view, watching wildlife and listening to the sounds of the jungle. Sleeping without any barrier in the middle of the jungle was a truly unforgettable experience, we would not have wanted to miss! The food was delicious and every meal held another pleasant surprise. But what makes La Loma so special are the people. The warm and welcoming manner made us feel at home, their hospitality made our stay at La Loma Jungle Lodge a highlight. We really enjoyed being with the great team who made real efforts to make it special but without imposing a tour program or a certain schedule and hence allowing room for individuality. We thank the team of La Loma for a magnificent experience and we wish you all the best for the future!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I cannot say enough great things about our stay at La Loma.  My wife and I have travelled all over the world and we have never experienced better hospitality from owners.  Henry and Margaret are truly inspiring.  My wife and I are foodies and each meal at La Loma was absolutely incredible.
We stayed for 4 nights over Christmas and we were traveling around Panama with my parents.  I had found La Loma on TripAdvisor and even with all the rave reviews, our stay exceeded all expectations.  My parents are not experienced travelers and rarely leave their comfort zone.  But after convincing them to join us on a trip to Panama, they were up for a new adventure.  Henry and Margaret went out of their way to accommodate all their guests and ensured everyone had an amazing stay.

Couple tips: 1) We spent a couple hours walking around Bocas Town after we flew in from Panama City. It is not worth spending anymore time than that in Bocas Town and you certainly do not need to spend a night.  I had debated this when planning the trip but am very glad we stayed on Isla Bastimentos.
2) It rains a lot on Bocas but that didn't stop us from doing anything.  In between the rain there was plenty of pockets of sunshine.
3) There is plenty to explore and do. Henry and Margaret arrange everything with their trustworthy employees and even pack snacks or lunches for the excursions. We were definitely not bored at all and felt we could've stayed much longer.
4) if you are not an outdoorsy person, the first night may keep you up with all the sounds of jungle night or rain on tin roof, but after that you will find it very soothing.
5) There are 4 guest bungalows. There is plenty of privacy between the bungalows but you will get to know the other guests. Dinners are communal. Henry and Margaret are a very interesting and intelligent couple. The conversations were great. They will not be overbearing. They really care that you have a good time, and it really shows in all the thoughtful details.

I have recommended La Loma to all my friends and hope to get back down there for another getaway!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank TheWorldIsMyOyster82
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Bastimentos
Tropical Suites Hotel
Tropical Suites Hotel
#1 of 13 in Bocas Town
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & S...
#1 of 3 in Isla Bastimentos
#5 of 20 in Isla Bastimentos
Eclypse de Mar
Eclypse de Mar
#3 of 20 in Isla Bastimentos

Been to La Loma Jungle Lodge and Chocolate Farm? Share your experiences!