“Paradise”
Review of Casa Cayuco

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla Bastimentos
Casa Cayuco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I spent four days at Casa Cayuco. And it was very strange, I felt so relaxed that I had the impression as ifI had been there for at least a week. The place is really beautyfull. And the young couple who own Casa Cayuco are just great. They do care about their guests and their staff is very nice too. The cooking is fantastic. We had even lobster one night. They suggest very interesting excursions. What I liked most was the calm at the hotel. No sand flees at the beach, no moskitos while I was there, but many fish around the islands close by. There is even WIFI and that can be a plus. Nice private shower. Electricity. Purified water. Very good matrace and nice sheets. Moskito net. I loved the place!

Room Tip: I had a bungolow, I think it is called Pelicano and the view is wonderfull, you can see the beach an...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Stephan7511

Reviewed 10 March 2014

My wife and I have just finished 3 months' of travelling around the world. Casa Cayuco was one of the very best places we stayed at for a whole variety of reasons. The location is fanatstic. The on the beach/edge of jungle setting is stunning, as was our room : we had the use of Pelicano on the beach. We swam and kayaked from the beach in stunningly blue water.
The resort is small so all the guests are on first name terms and the staff are fantastic. Suzanne and Dave are great hosts: they are very relaxed and friendly and this sums up the whole feel of the place. We loved the mangrove snorkelling: it was probably the most extraordinary snorkelling/diving we have ever done. The colours were fantastic and we spotted a yellow seahorse as well. The trip over to the Zapatillas Islands is also highly recommended. The food was great : the peanut butter cheesecake for pudding one night was as heavenly as the display of stars from the beach. The generous wine pour at dinner as advertised is just that and Suzanne mixes a mean cocktail too ! We were very sad to leave after 4 nights though I felt totally relaxed.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank UKaussie
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We stayed there for 4 nights, in one of the beach front houses. If we could rate this place 6 stars we would. Everything was perfect, the hosts, Sue and Loydd, the staff, the food, the scenery, the trips, the other guests - we felt like being at home. The food made by Sue was just amazing. Unique and so tasty and with a variety - just incredible. The trips offered were perfect, boat trips to the islands for a day, snorkeling, paddeling, hiking into the rain forest, on the island or just relax. We did everything and did enjoy the unique location far away from Bocas town. (Boat ride to Bocas is expensive, but also not necessary). Unfortunatly Sue and Loydd have left the property to other hosts, so we cannot judge the new hosts. But the loacation and the place is the same, so this is what we can definatly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TitschMe
Reviewed 28 February 2014

My family and I spent 3 wonderful days last week at Casa Cayuco. Dave and Suzanne have created a gem. They and their staff from the local village took wonderful care of all guests. We loved the snorkeling excursions, complete with dolphins in the wake of the boat. The food was marvelous. I could not recommend Casa Cayuco more highly.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Darryl2014
Reviewed 18 February 2014

My husband and I traveled to this paradise with two other couples in February 2014 and stayed four nights. We could not have asked for a better trip -- except perhaps to have stayed longer. The meals were exceptional, the beach scene fantastic and the host and hostess of Casa Cayuco were accommodating, polite and always ready to serve our every need. We snorkeled, fished, swam, hiked, paddle boarded, kayaked and just relaxed on their dock. The best part for me was waking up early (we stayed in Pelicano), putting on my bathing suit, walking perhaps 20 steps to the beach, grabbing a paddle board and greeting the sunrise on the ocean. Besides the numerous excursions offered, one can just hike on the beach or kayak to the indigenous village and take a tour there. I loved the fact that Suzanne and David incorporate not only the food, but also the lifestyle of the indigenous people, creating an exceptional experience for their guests. On one particular snorkeling trip, we watched Sebastian, a native of the island, catch lobsters with a simple stick with wire attached. Incredible to watch! The food was very good, including their afternoon snacks and desserts. This is not a Hilton Hotel -- this is a resort that offers a true remote island experience. You can see monkeys, caman, frogs, geckos, flowers (too many to count) and exotic birds. Keep an open mind on this trip to fully experience what Casa Cayuco has to offer and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ColleenBunting
Reviewed 9 February 2014

You will be so happy you chose to stay at Casa Cayuco. We stayed for four nights in January 2014. The owners, Dave and Suzanne, are wonderful people who work tirelessly to make sure that each guest has an outstanding experience. The property and location are gorgeous. The accommodations are comfortable. The food is delicious. We went snorkeling at an amazingly vibrant coral reef in the mangroves, which was the highlight for me. My husband loved taking out the hobbie cat sailboat. The other guests were lovely, and I felt that we formed a friendly community by the end of the trip. We stayed in Pelicano and could hear the waves breaking on the shore as we fell asleep at night and as we woke up in the morning. We were thoroughly relaxed by the end of the trip, which was my main goal. The hammocks on the dock and quiet setting help in that regard. Dave and Suzanne went way above and beyond to make sure we were happy, safe, and comfortable. They even set up a beautiful private candle-lit dinner on the end of the dock for my husband's birthday, which we enjoyed with a bottle of champagne.

The only thing I think I should mention that may be an issue for some people is the flying bugs at night. If you have a phobia or something, you may want to think twice about an open-air accommodation on this island. However, the bed netting at Casa Cayuco is the thickest and highest quality netting I've ever seen. The nighttime bugs are not a reason for a normal person to think twice about booking, but should be taken into account if you have a serious fear of bugs.

Casa Cayuco is truly a special place. I think our departure illustrates our experience. As we walked to the boat where Dave was waiting to take us to the airport, we hugged all of the other guests goodbye and said we would keep in touch. Dave helped us into the boat and Suzanne sat down on the dock and said she wished we could stay. As we drove off, waiving goodbye to Suzanne and the other guests, I had the same bittersweet feeling associated with saying goodbye to friends at camp at the end of an amazing summer - thankful for the experience but sad it has to end.

Room Tip: Pelicano is very romantic, right on the beach and secluded from other rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Liz M
Reviewed 31 January 2014

This is a wonderful place with very hospitable hosts and staff. The accommodations are very comfortable and well maintained in a lovely setting. The location is close to its own beach (with very few people going past) with very calm water and an outer perimeter reef with distant waves crashing. There are paddle boards, a Hobie cat, and kayaks. The mangrove snorkeling was excellent with very colourful soft corals and this trip is really worthwhile. I would suspect that other snorkeling areas probably aren't so great around that area as so much coral has died in general in the region. You can walk down to the village and have a guided walk through the adjacent jungle and village and also walk across the island to the beaches on the other side. The trip to Robert's garden and chocolate "factory" was interesting and I would recommend it to anyone interested in gardens, the area's plants, and how chocolate is produced. At Casa Cayuco, the salads and vegetables were very tasty, but the fish was often overcooked - however, our host was very amenable to addressing this. The afternoon snacks were tasty. Suzanne makes very good margaritas! Frontera sauvignon blanc was the table wine, and there was a red also. I would have preferred stronger coffee but appreciate having it available by 7 am so you can enjoy it whilst sitting watching the pelicans or whatever. The food was very good in general, but I wouldn't call it gourmet. However, unlike another reviewer, I did not think the place was overpriced and would go back again. I wish we had stayed longer than the 5 days.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank jilleastfallowfield
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Bastimentos
Tropical Suites Hotel
Tropical Suites Hotel
#1 of 13 in Bocas Town
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & S...
#1 of 3 in Isla Bastimentos
La Loma Jungle Lodge and Chocolate Farm
La Loma Jungle Lodge and Chocola...
#2 of 20 in Isla Bastimentos
Azul Paradise
Azul Paradise
#5 of 18 in Isla Bastimentos
Popa Paradise Beach Resort
Palmar Beach Lodge
Palmar Beach Lodge
#2 of 18 in Isla Bastimentos

Been to Casa Cayuco? Share your experiences!