“Sunday brunch at Sakura”
Review of Sakura

Sakura
Ranked #299 of 12,605 Restaurants in New Delhi
Price range: US$40 - US$125
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
New Delhi, India
“Sunday brunch at Sakura”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

My friend and I decided to treat ourselves to the Sunday brunch at Sakura at the Metropolitan Nikko Hotel in Delhi – we are both great fans of Japanese food. It’s an all-you-can-eat buffet ranging from sushi to tempura, teppanyaki and curry (and a few other things I may have left out). We were quite delighted to see the spread on offer, the first area offering a variety of sushi and sashimi. The sashimi was especially delectable, with tuna, sea bass and succulent salmon that simply melted in the mouth. There was also crab and octopus on offer and rows of sushi. It was a delight to tuck into this course with its accompanying condiments particularly the wasabi and pickled ginger. There was also miso soup with slivers of seaweed and cubes of tofu to wash this down.

Beyond the sushi/sashimi table was a long buffet laden with salads (particularly liked the salted edamame beans), rice, noodles, pork dishes, beef curry and other dishes I did not even look at, since I had definitely overloaded on the sashimi. Even so, I tried a sort of sausage stew with sticky rice, and bacon-wrapped asparagus. But I think my palate still craved the delicacy of fish, for I found these dishes heavy and a little oversalted. I don’t like teppanyaki too much, so did not even try that. What I did try was the beef curry, primarily to taste the meat, which was of a tenderness so amazing that it was a surprise to learn it was local buffalo meat.

Although there was an assortment of pastries for dessert, I requested for a small scoop each of of red bean and green tea ice creams and they were the perfect, not-too-sweet, utterly flavourful ending to this feast. I would certainly return to Sakura, as I was impressed by the quality of the produce used. However, perhaps next time I’d come on a weekday to try one of the prix fixe menus on offer.

Visited April 2014

Hythe, UK
“sunday brunch”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We liked the table where we sat, but the table that held the food other than sushi and sashimi that was at the bar, was too cramped and it was awkward to get the food.

Sushi and sashimi was good but quality of other items was not as good as we have had elsewhere in Delhi at the same sort of price

The deserts were not special enough for this type of place and price
Quality of sparkling wine was not good enough
Service was excellent

• Visited March 2014

3 Thank JohnHythe_UK
Antwerp, Belgium
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“visit march”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

restaurant was good.
maybe a bit expensive but still good quality. Service was ok. i would recommend this restaurant to friends and family

• Visited March 2014

1 Thank Karlberg2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Just right”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

After a hectic tour of India and a surfeit of Indian cuisine we needed a change. Sakura provided us with a calm haven in which we were able to enjoy authentic Japanese cuisine. The soups were just perfect and the tempura was delicious . It was clear that a lot of care had gone into the sourcing of fresh ingredients of the highest quality.

• Visited February 2014

1 Thank Roshan M
Montreal, Canada
“Great Food at great price”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I found that the food quality of the place absolutely favoured the price I was paying for and I never regretted picking this place for a nice little dinner as I ended up leaving the place with an absolute satisfaction of having good quality food and at a great price. The crowd was majorly oriental and I guess its because Japanese cuisines is one of the acquired ones. The service of the place is nice and I felt that the place definitely was worth returning

Visited January 2014